FLORENTINE AND TIGER ROAD ACCESS

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

FLORENTINE AND TIGER ROAD ACCESS

Postby lefroy » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi all,
I realise the FLORENTINE and tiger roads are closed due to bushfires however I'm trying to find if these roads are actually locked or simply 'closed'
Any idea how to find this out? I can already guess what PWS would say and was avoiding asking them for this reason
PM is fine with me...
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: FLORENTINE AND TIGER ROAD ACCESS

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 6:06 pm

So just let me get this straight.... you are asking on this forum if you can ignore the authorities or not by driving around the closed signs??
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lefroy » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 8:36 pm

Not really no, if I did actually want to ignore authorities I wouldn't need to ask for permission from a bushwalking forum. It was a question regarding the road itself and whether it has locked gates across it. Not here for an argument or lecture, merely a simple answer. Cheers
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby doogs » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 4:49 am

Florentine Road has gates which could be locked and are likely to be most of the time. They may be open sometimes to allow access for forestry vehicles and emergency services who need to access the area. I wouldn't drive through an unlocked gate on the Florentine road as you'll likely find it locked on your return!
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 5:50 am

lefroy wrote:Not really no, if I did actually want to ignore authorities I wouldn't need to ask for permission from a bushwalking forum. It was a question regarding the road itself and whether it has locked gates across it. Not here for an argument or lecture, merely a simple answer. Cheers

Fair enough. One of the local walking clubs has been posting pictures on it's FB site from a walk they did on a track that is still closed. It pisses me off how walking clubs ignore the requests and regulations from the people who manage our NP's and remote areas.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lefroy » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 6:44 am

Accepted however the roads would be closed from a public safety (liability) angle and with all due respect, the people entering these areas and no doubt yourself, find themselves in dangerous and hostile environments as a hobby, therefore as experienced adults, people can make a judgement call on what they deem 'safe'. Agree with doog however that finding a locked gate from the inside is not much fun...
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 8:35 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:One of the local walking clubs has been posting pictures on it's FB site from a walk they did on a track that is still closed. It pisses me off how walking clubs ignore the requests and regulations from the people who manage our NP's and remote areas.

Fair enough too. It is possible they got permission. I know another club did, for a walk in a general area closure which it wasn't directly affected by the fires. The access hadn't been affected either, so no assessment of the roads was needed.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 11:48 am

If you look on the List at the moment the layer containing Statewide Closed Roads
Florentine Road is listed as:
"Access to Emergency Services Vehicles"

In contrast Scotts Peak Rd is:
"Essential Services Access Only"

In experience that would mean the gate near the Gordon River Road is highly likely to be locked.

lefroy wrote:Accepted however the roads would be closed from a public safety (liability) angle and with all due respect, the people entering these areas and no doubt yourself, find themselves in dangerous and hostile environments as a hobby, therefore as experienced adults, people can make a judgement call on what they deem 'safe'. Agree with doog however that finding a locked gate from the inside is not much fun...

Yes. It mostly about public liability, however getting caught up interfering with Emergency Services operations would be a bad idea.
They have been using explosives to remove dangerous trees down near the airwalk. You don't know what might be going on in there, hence I don't think you can make an informed judgement call.

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 11.39.46 am.png
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Tasmania