Laidley Creek Falls or Mount Castle

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Laidley Creek Falls or Mount Castle

Postby Jamesd79 » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 4:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm heading off for my first solo overnight trip into Main Range National Park.

I was just wondering if anyone has been out on those camp sites recently and also if you have any tips as I've never entered the park before.

Where would the best part of park be to start from as I don't have a lot of time.

I'm looking forward to trek and can't wait.

Cheers,

James
Jamesd79
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Laidley Creek Falls or Mount Castle

Postby Aardvark » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 9:11 pm

Which remote campsites are you referring to?
You're not clear as to where you are accessing the park. Are you travelling to Goomburra State forest park, Sylvesters L/O etc?
Main Range NP is largely off track. There are pads in places, hence some remote campsites.
There does appear to be progress planned for a track linking Bare Rock and the Mistake Range. That's going to take time and is an initiative of the Turner family who own Flight Centre and the Spicers lodge near Main Range.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jamesd79 » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 11:22 pm

The ones I'm looking to get to in the subject Laidley Creek Falls or Mount Castle. By the look of the map Sylvesters L/O seems to be the closest I can get with a 4x4 and walk from Sylvesters Carpark to either site.
Jamesd79
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Aardvark » Thu 04 Apr, 2019 5:42 am

A great walk but it's what is regarded as off track. What pad there is can be easy to follow but then a treefall can create alternative routes which leads to confusion.
Laidley Ck Falls campsite has room for a couple of tents. Water can be scarce at times but i don't think it would be a problem at the moment.
Nb. You do not have to follow the razorback ridge from the campsite toward Mt.Castle. The base of the cliffline can be followed out to the ridge toward Mt.Castle. You simply go west from the campsite, cross the water supply, then descend steeply on dirt and rock until you can traverse back east under the falls. The rock that the falls cascade onto is crossed to a narrow track along the base of the cliffline.
Laidley Ck falls campsite is on the boundary of the Main Range NP. It's a cattle lease beyond that held by the farm in Laidley valley. There is no official campsite along the ridge or on Mt.Castle.
main range 10jan2010 368copy_1024.jpg
Bivvy site down from campsite
Last edited by Aardvark on Sat 06 Apr, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ofuros » Thu 04 Apr, 2019 7:56 am

Laidley falls remote camp is shady & sheltered.
There's a unofficial flat spot inbetween Laidley falls & Mt Castle, sunny & exposed, no water, just before the Dragons Spine.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rowdy79 » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 10:44 am

Yeah Laidley Creek camp is nice, space for 2 small tents. Good views about 20 metres away from camp.
Takes around 2 hours from Sylvester's Carpark to camp. All off track. Compass/Map/GPS required if you haven't been there before.
https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/c ... all-934857
Mt Castle is another 2 hours from Laidley camp.
FYI, I would not rely on the falls having any water.
rowdy79
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland