Dixon's Kingdom - lost reading glasses

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Dixon's Kingdom - lost reading glasses

Postby benoloughlin » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 7:17 am

Hi everyone,
A note to anyone going to Dixon's Kingdom in the Walls of Jerusalem NP.
I lost a pair of reading glasses around the hut and camping area (100m radius from the hut). They should be in a brown hardcase.
If you find and return them I will be forever grateful to you.
My number is 0401 134 964 or benedict.oloughlin@gmail.com

By the way...
The possum at Dixon's Kingdom is very persistent.
Friends stayed in the hut overnight and were successful blocking entrances into the hut but did not deter the possum from continuing in its attempt (well over an hour).
Despite some friends staying in the hut overnight it did not stop the rain getting in which forced them to erect a tent inside the hut itself.
I was in a tent about 100m from the hut to the left of the Mt Jerusalem track and woke up at 3AM to find water had inundated my tent and water flowing underneath it.
Extremely wild weather, With wet gear inc. sleeping bags we decided to end our Walls trip early and walk out. Walked through a blizzard from Dixon's nearly all the way, snowing still at Trappers hut track on the 25th. One tree blown down over the Trappers Hut track during that wild weather event, and a large limb fell close to the track during the same event.
Epilogue to the possum story...
Despite suspending our food from fishing line in a bag from a branch from one of the pencil pines close to Dixon's Kingdom hut, it got into the food bag as well.
Thanks again.
Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Dixon's Kingdom - lost reading glasses

Postby philm » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 7:30 am

Sounds like an eventful trip! Perhaps use a line between 2 trees with some plastic bottles threaded through the line on each side of the food bag - this way the bottles spin and the critter falls off! Although I'm really surprised that it managed to navigate down the fishing line?
I have pitched a tent near the same place as you I think - was this on the slight slope up the hill slightly (past the toilet?) if so I'm surprised there was a lot of water as most of it tends to run off on the other side of the track where there is some low scrub.
Hope you find your glasses.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby benoloughlin » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 8:47 am

philm wrote:Sounds like an eventful trip! Perhaps use a line between 2 trees with some plastic bottles threaded through the line on each side of the food bag - this way the bottles spin and the critter falls off! Although I'm really surprised that it managed to navigate down the fishing line?
I have pitched a tent near the same place as you I think - was this on the slight slope up the hill slightly (past the toilet?) if so I'm surprised there was a lot of water as most of it tends to run off on the other side of the track where there is some low scrub.
Hope you find your glasses.

Hi Phil,
Thanks for your response and good wishes!
I think the bag was suspended way too close to the ground and the possum jumped up or got up on its hind legs and stretched itself up to it. In any case the hole was at the point closest to the ground.
Maybe most of the water coming into my tent was because of some other failure (fly or floor losing its waterproofing, maybe?) but what looked like of drainage opened up underneath us what the previous day looked like a flat area.
The weather was wild. Thunderstorm during the night sounded like it was right on top of us and the wind was ferocious.
I was disappointed we left early but given the state of our gear, I think it was the right decision.

The night before we were at the Solitary Hut at Tiger Lake and it was ok. I didn't realize how small Solitary Hut was and how well camoflaged it is.
I'm planning on returning again as soon as possible as there's a lot I want to photograph in the Walls.
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rangersac » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Ben, I was up there on the weekend as well but decided to bail early given the weather forecast. Glad I did given your experience! We camped a bit further up the hill than you, and also had some possum attention, although we kept all of our food in the tent so said marsupial just restricted itself to a bit of pack reconnaissance. We also heard that plenty of folk at Wild Dog Creek got overnight visitors so be warned everyone!
rangersac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby benoloughlin » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi rangersac,
rangersac wrote:Hi Ben, I was up there on the weekend as well but decided to bail early given the weather forecast. Glad I did given your experience! We camped a bit further up the hill than you, and also had some possum attention, although we kept all of our food in the tent so said marsupial just restricted itself to a bit of pack reconnaissance. We also heard that plenty of folk at Wild Dog Creek got overnight visitors so be warned everyone!

I wonder whether we passed each other?
I'm determined to go back in as soon as possible - work and finances permitting!
kind regards,
Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 8:35 pm

Hey Ben,
Hope your specs get found. More hope than for my prescription sunnies at Five Duck Tarn...

Thanks for the heads up with the current critter status. Worse than my last visit. I really must get organised with the bottles to thread on cord.
benoloughlin wrote:Despite some friends staying in the hut overnight it did not stop the rain getting in which forced them to erect a tent inside the hut itself.

It is worth checking Parks website. It does specify that the huts in WOJ Nt Park are in 'small, in poor condition and suitable for emergency use only'. Still, in the conditions, I think I would have rather been in my tent in the hut...
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby benoloughlin » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi Tortoise,
Tortoise wrote:Hey Ben,
Hope your specs get found. More hope than for my prescription sunnies at Five Duck Tarn...

Thanks for the heads up with the current critter status. Worse than my last visit. I really must get organised with the bottles to thread on cord.
benoloughlin wrote:Despite some friends staying in the hut overnight it did not stop the rain getting in which forced them to erect a tent inside the hut itself.

It is worth checking Parks website. It does specify that the huts in WOJ Nt Park are in 'small, in poor condition and suitable for emergency use only'. Still, in the conditions, I think I would have rather been in my tent in the hut...

I know what you mean about staying in huts. Which is why I slept in a tent at both the Solitary Hut site and Dixon's Kingdom. An older friend from the US and myself were in my tent but I couldn't convince another friend and my brother from interstate to enjoy the sublime bliss of sleeping in a tent rather than sleep in an old hut with assorted creepy crawlies and furry night time intruders.
I'm sorry about your prescription sunglasses. Fortunately for me, I have a spare (scratched) pair of reading glasses which I can continue to use.
All the best,

Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby benoloughlin » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi everyone,
Good news - my glasses were found and they are coming back to me.
I would like to thank the gentleman "M" who communicated with me via sms.
Thank you so much, you've just made my year!
Ben
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania