Costco quilt

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Costco quilt

Postby ULhikerAU » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 1:53 pm

There’s an Aussie online store selling Costco quilts you can make into quite a good hiking quilt. Http://ultralighthiker.com.au. You can buy extra down from Feather Factory in Braeside Vic. Just need to get handy with the sewing machine.
Attachments
1202EC83-43E3-4C6D-98B4-0FA8548AD245.jpeg
Costco quilt
1202EC83-43E3-4C6D-98B4-0FA8548AD245.jpeg (19.81 KiB) Viewed 11806 times
ULhikerAU
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Ultralight Hiker
Region: Victoria

Re: Costco quilt

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 2:07 pm

This is a commercial post and needs to go in the Commercial section I think
Mods?
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULhikerAU » Wed 27 Mar, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks for the quick response and comment, I'll post it in the commercial section instead ...... Still learning the world of online business etiquette .. I love hiking and I'm a stay at home mum who has a dodgy hip and knee. Trying to lighten my pack weight has been a struggle with not enough companies offering lightweight alternatives in Australia. I got sick of buying from the US and shipping things over here but loved the equipment. Just hoping to be able to have a little home business ticking along with all the goodies I love. The biggest hurdle has been leaning about the online world. This site, my website plus facebook and instagram have sent my mummy brain into a tailspin of confusion. Sorry if I offended by posting here. Lessons are sometimes learnt the hard way.
ULhikerAU
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 7:33 am

Just a thought.. If you converted the costco throw rug into a quilt or at least undid some of the baffles stitching to increase loft then it would make it a more attractive buy.

(keeping the price lowish. Otherwise you will be (likely unsuccessfully) competing against the established dedicated quilt makers)

As currently its just an resold costco black diamond throw which is not that appealing unless someone is absolutely desperate for one and cant wait for costco to relist them
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ULhikerAU » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 7:50 am

hi wildwanderer, the sale of the quilts are going quite well but thanks for the extra input. They are really light weight and I converted mine into a full quilt by adding some extra baffles to the end with leftover material, unstitching the horizontal seams and adding 320g of 800fp duck down from the Feather Factory. It comes in at 460g including zips, pad attachments and snaps and I think it could probably be rated to -3 degrees (I am yet to test it at those temps) The fabric is great, although a little slippery, which is a common complaint I read. But I found if you strap it to you pad, it stays in place fairly well.

I have been in contact with Costco AU to find out when they will be relisting them and they explained they have no plans to bring them to AU again which is such a shame. I hope they change their mind so local aussies can get their hands on them other than thru me. It costs a fortune to bring them over due to the bulk,the exchange rate and duties.
ULhikerAU
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Make Your Own Gear