Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dirigo 2

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dirigo 2

Postby Zapruda » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 6:27 am

HMG is releasing a new 2 person shelter in a few days - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu6XfHCjthk/

Seems to be an all In one pyramid, maybe similar to the Plaxamid. It could be very interesting.

Lots of great DCF shelters being released at the moment. Exciting times.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dirigo 2

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 6:41 am

Would be nice if all the manufacturers got into a price war to sell their new shiny 2p DCF/silpoly shelters :D
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 9:19 am

If there was a price war it would eliminate most cottage manufacturers.
Only big brands that can place large orders with a Chinese manufacturer and sell at close to cost could do that.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wildwanderer » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 9:42 am

Franco wrote:If there was a price war it would eliminate most cottage manufacturers.
Only big brands that can place large orders with a Chinese manufacturer and sell at close to cost could do that.

It was a joke franco :P

Cottage manufacturers have given us some amazing products and while their pricing is uncomfortable for my wallet, I understand people need to earn a decent wage to live in a country like US/Australia etc.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 10:32 am

In other industries is not all that uncommon to buy market share and or drive others out of business by dumping goods at cost or below.
It is illegal in most places but hard to prove at times.
Not really worth it in this, outdoor gear, case.
My comment was because I do see that some think manufacturers are ripping them off charging what they do with these DCF shelters.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 11:14 am

The price war will come when the patents expire and multiple manufacturers can move in.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 12:29 pm

Not sure about that.
I think the cost of making the various types of DCF is very high.
Silnylon is now over 40 years old , yet till at least a few years ago it kept increasing in price.
Not that making silnylon is all that simple but I am guessing it's easier than making DCF.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 1:05 pm

'Instagram'! now there's a great model name.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Zapruda » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 2:08 pm

Nuts wrote:'Instagram'! now there's a great model name.

Why?

Edit: Oh, took me a while... Hmmm. One of those days
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 3:07 pm

I still dont get it.. :oops:

though the satirical part of me thinks it might be a reference to HMGs love of the artistic filter with their marketing shots..
But surely everyone else is not as cynical as me.. :P
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 3:23 pm

Coming up with a new name is harder than it would seem. The simple reason is that if you think of a good one, it already has been used.
I am pretty confident that I found out why they chose that name , the clue was in this paragraph , on Instagram :

"Now, we’ve taken ten years of #DyneemaComposite Fabrics expertise and legendary user experiences to move not just our needles, but those of the outdoors world. ."
Dirigo is Latin (and Italian) for I lead, same origin as director/direction and so on.
In other words HMG is showing the way (well according to them)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 3:24 pm

double post
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 3:40 pm

wildwanderer wrote:I still dont get it.. :oops:

though the satirical part of me thinks it might be a reference to HMGs love of the artistic filter with their marketing shots..
But surely everyone else is not as cynical as me.. :P

The gram part of Instagram I’m guessing, I think, maybe, I don’t know!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 5:05 pm

Well yeah, it rolls off the tongue. I guess it can be anything, only limited by imagination.
Quick pitching 'instant'/ extra light, a 'gram'?
I'll save you from thoughts more in the realm of gratification and subliminal marketing.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 5:13 pm

Nuts wrote:
I'll save you from thoughts more in the realm of gratification and subliminal marketing.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. What subliminal marketing are we all oblivious to that you seem to be able to see through?
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 5:48 pm

A chip? oh no, best weigh it haha
Last edited by Nuts on Thu 14 Mar, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 5:50 pm

Maybe choosing Nuts as a forum name was not uninspired.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 6:03 pm

Sorry, ok, no, you are welcome to take the first view. Really. It's not a judgement on your enthusiasm. I don't see the point of marketing like a sportscar release, i didn't think much of TT doing the same (at the risk of damaging the beautiful thing I have going with Franco). What is the point of such marketing??

I gave a different perspective to what are apparent facts for the new OP shelter to stony silence. It doesn't take anything like expertise, just facts there to see (and I was out on some of them looking back but nobody will ever know..) (and yes it's the UL pages, and yes iv'e defended that and yes have nothing against this material etc)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 6:26 pm

Nuts wrote:Sorry, ok, no, you are welcome to take the first view. Really. It's not a judgement on your enthusiasm. I don't see the point of marketing like a sportscar release, i didn't think much of TT doing the same (at the risk of damaging the beautiful thing I have going with Franco). What is the point of such marketing??

I gave a different perspective to what are apparent facts for the new OP shelter to stony silence. It doesn't take anything like expertise, just facts there to see (and I was out on some of them looking back but nobody will ever know..) (and yes it's the UL pages, and yes iv'e defended that and yes have nothing against this material etc)

From a companies perspective, it ensures they have sufficient interest in the product prior to its release. People will now actively seek out specs upon its release. It creates discussion and puts the company back in the limelight. I see nothing wrong with it. Horses for courses.
It is standard practice for anything from cameras to sneakers and beyond. It hurts no one.

As for you comments on the OP offering in that thread, I assume people like myself are sick explaining why this material appeals to us and why we use it. After a while it gets boring and repetitive. If you would like to have a proper discussion about the pros and cons of DCF for shelters, I would be happy to have one in another thread focused specifically on the topic. I use different materials for different shelters for different adventures. There is no one shoe fits all scenario. No one here is saying this is the best fabric. If HMG released this shelter in Sil or Poly I would have posted here as well.

I post these updates and releases in the Ultralight forum for people who are presumably here because they have an understanding of the philosophy or a willingness to learn about it. I don’t post them in the general equipment forum because they don’t appeal to the larger demographic.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 7:16 pm

At the risk of raising your temps, I covered a swath of attributes for DCF in that thread, which may hint at some basic understanding. There's no need to go back over anything (unless you wish). What else was there? not needing a quick cinch before bed? Lest these topics just become an extension of marketing by the marketed, useless to anyone without DCF pockets and a dream. Please don't fall back to pointing out a group of super-feats by well known champs, they invariably could have done similar with a poly tarp.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 7:37 pm

Nuts wrote:At the risk of raising your temps, I covered a swath of attributes for DCF in that thread, which may hint at some basic understanding. There's no need to go back over anything (unless you wish). What else was there? not needing a quick cinch before bed? Lest these topics just become an extension of marketing by the marketed, useless to anyone without DCF pockets and a dream. Please don't fall back to pointing out a group of super-feats by well known champs, they invariably could have done similar with a poly tarp.

Ill leave the raised temps to you, Nuts. But next time don’t shove words in my mouth. It’s pathetic.

I think you have totally misinterpreted what I have written to suit your own agenda. Once again, pathetic.

I’d love to get the topic of the new tent back on track...
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm on it Batman-
back on track -my conjecture for what it's worth and a bit of fun trying to guess-
-it looks like (from the top/above picture) a Plexamid type set up?
- 'Hatty' a la Plexamid (dare it be a wee cross bar/tube/rods) type set up?
-I'm feeling a LHG sort of inner (tubey) working but more simple -or wee CF rod/s.
-Sticks angled inwards? It is a two stick set-up isn't it?
Interesting they say the DCF weight is slightly more than the 'heaviest' one the zpacks offer.
Last edited by Lamont on Thu 14 Mar, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Nuts » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 7:49 pm

Huh? What words? What agenda? More to the point - What 'track'??

(edit- oh, i see, guessing. Is that the point??)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 7:55 pm

Lamont wrote:I'm on it Batman-
it looks like (from the top/above picture) a Plexamid type set up?
'Hatty' a la Plexamid (dare it be a wee cross bar/tube/rods) type set up?
I'm feeling a LHG sort of inner (tubey) working but more simple -or wee CF rod/s.
Sticks angled inwards? It is a two stick set-up isn't it?
Interesting they say the DCF weight is slightly more than the 'heaviest' one the zpacks gang offer.

Exactly what I am thinking. Rather than two straight poles like the duplex it will have two poles angled in to the peak like a mid/plexamid. Making it a little more stable? Two vestibules as well?

Thicker DCF is good if it actually prolongs the life of the shelter.

I’m keen to see what it looks like tomorrow.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 8:02 pm

https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6 have you seen this video?
this is what I thought of -poles angled from the outside but under the porch not inside- in with a tubey cross piece (removable for packability? dare they do it?) or the obvious- the middle 'hatty' thing is fixed and a panel.
I am feeling a LHG sort of clone/Plexamid.
Time for some Vodka from the freezer, ciao ciao.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 8:13 pm

Zapruda wrote: Thicker DCF is good if it actually prolongs the life of the shelter. .

Well yes, this is correct, it could, to a degree. DCF commonly fails in the folds/ accumulation of creases, eventually leaking through the Mylar layer. The lifespan would be extended by increasing the weight of the PET layers rather then the weight of UHMWPE, unless something caused a catastrophic rip. Assuming the performance of Zpacks was a benchmark and had a limited life-span they could then claim a longer life potential (as an assumption, not yet a fact).

(ps. not a post about you nor an attempt to devalue your opinion. Facts for the discerning shopper)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 6:17 am

Nuts wrote:
Zapruda wrote: Thicker DCF is good if it actually prolongs the life of the shelter. .

Well yes, this is correct, it could, to a degree. DCF commonly fails in the folds/ accumulation of creases, eventually leaking through the Mylar layer. The lifespan would be extended by increasing the weight of the PET layers rather then the weight of UHMWPE, unless something caused a catastrophic rip. Assuming the performance of Zpacks was a benchmark and had a limited life-span they could then claim a longer life potential (as an assumption, not yet a fact).

(ps. not a post about you nor an attempt to devalue your opinion. Facts for the discerning shopper)

And for the discerning shopper, how long until these folds and creases cause the failure in the mylar layer?
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 6:23 am

http://www.adventurealan.com/hyperlite- ... nt-review/ lets have a tour with Alan. Watch his the video. Seems very windworthy.Event fabric mixed in! Would not the condensation run over the event end panels into the tent?
Last edited by Lamont on Fri 15 Mar, 2019 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 6:30 am

Specs and prices are up.

I don't see anything particularly exciting here. The sloping side walls will likely be a pain and obviously take up interior space. Two people might have trouble sitting up at the same time. Length is ok and the breathable DCF at the head and foot ends is interesting. I would like to see how it goes in the wild and how much it actually affects condensation forming. The end panels look like they can be pulled out to create more space, it is a nice design and different to the way other companies are doing it.

If people are after a DCF and fair weather 2 person tent, its still hard to beat the Duplex for weight and interior space. Or the TT Stratospire Li, which is still lighter, cheaper and double walled.

I still think its great that more and more companies are using DCF and trying new designs.

$$$ = $1,125 aud.

Weight:

1.75 lbs | 28 oz | 794g
Weight includes perimeter guy lines only.

Materials:

Floor: DCF11
Exterior Walls: DCF8 / DCF-WPB
Vestibules: DCF8
Interior Doors: No-See-Um Mesh
Trekking Pole Grommets: DCH50
Peak Trekking Pole Cups: DCHW

Dimensions:

Packed Size: 12” x 8” x 6” | 30.4cm x 20.3cm x 15.2cm
Interior Peak Height: 45" | 114.5cm
Floor Area: 52" (W) x 90" (L) | 32.5 sq. ft.
Pitched Dimensions: 92" (W) x 95" (L)

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/p ... cking-tent
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 8:15 am

Nice video clip from Alan.
I like the design a lot except that because it does not have any top vents I would think that condensation could build up enough to drip on you when windy and rainy or under heavy rain. Not that it would be the first shelter to do that...
BTW, Alan mentioned that condensation slides off those panels and goes down to the floor. Given enough of it it may end up wetting your sleeping bag. That is something that can happen with the pole inside Bibler/Black Diamond single wall tents. (condensation forms on the colder than air poles)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking