Aussie Top 10 over Easter

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Aussie Top 10 over Easter

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 6:24 pm

I’m planning on doing the Aussie Top 10 peaks over Easter with my son (19-22 April).

A couple of quick questions for those with more experience in that area:
How busy is it likely to be?
How likely is heavy snow? We’ll have gear for light snow but heavy snow will cause us to bail out.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Aussie Top 10 over Easter

Postby Zapruda » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 6:48 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:How busy is it likely to be?
How likely is heavy snow? We’ll have gear for light snow but heavy snow will cause us to bail out.

It will be incredibly busy on the tracks and most likely around the prominent peaks. Tis the season... You will be one of many groups doing the top 10 as well as all the punters doing the Main Range loop and walk to Mt Kosciuszko.

Heavy snow is a possibility that time of the year but pretty unlikely. If it does snow it is unlikely to linger for long. But the mountains are unpredictable and snow can happen at anytime... Keep a close eye on the forecast. The Thredbo top station detailed forecast is invaluable - http://www.bom.gov.au/places/nsw/thredb ... /detailed/

4G reception is also widely available on the range.

Be safe and have fun. Besides the masses, the Main Range is perfect in late April.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ChrisJHC » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby crollsurf » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 8:24 pm

+1 for what Z says but would like to say I've walked that area with my son and it was a great experience, bonding... but also opening their eyes to the real world.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 5:08 pm

Quick question: How do I pay for parking / park entry at Charlotte Pass? Hopefully there’s a machine that takes credit card.
ChrisJHC

Postby Mark F » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 5:48 pm

Parking is free - you are charged for having a vehicle in the park when you enter. You can usually pay at the entry point on the summit road as you drive up. If you are entering knp after hours you will most probably get a notice to pay on departing. You can also pay at the Jindabyne npws shop.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rcaffin » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Mark
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
You are talking about coal mining in the Blue Mts here?

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 9:19 pm

Mark F wrote:Parking is free - you are charged for having a vehicle in the park when you enter. You can usually pay at the entry point on the summit road as you drive up. If you are entering knp after hours you will most probably get a notice to pay on departing. You can also pay at the Jindabyne npws shop.

Thanks!
ChrisJHC

Postby neilmny » Sat 06 Apr, 2019 4:13 am

ChrisJHC wrote:Quick question: How do I pay for parking / park entry at Charlotte Pass? Hopefully there’s a machine that takes credit card.

If you are going up from Victoria via Khancoban/Thredbo there is a national parks office at Khancoban that you can buy your NSW parks pass from.
https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/cont ... ncoban.htm
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weeds » Sat 06 Apr, 2019 6:56 am

We attempted this last Easter.......and nearly got blown off the mountain....so be prepared

We didn’t appreciate how quickly and bad alpine weather can get.

I don’t think o wrote a report was I was a little embarrassed....we ended up walking a massive loop in blizzard conditions, I actually got a little nervous at one stage as I struggled to work out where we were on the map even thought we were on track. We could barely stand upright than alone walk at time.

We deleted our walk by one or was it two days as the parks staff suggestion...even when we stepped off sight seeers could believe it, weather forecast said clearing, weather clears 24hrs later to brilliant blue skies.

We still get a laugh out of the attempt.....like the first water crossing.....we couldn’t find an alternative so we pulled our boots off, stripped from the waist down, lost a thong, freezing cold water, dried our feet, got dressed, walked 20 meters over the hump only to find we were on little island and we had to strip again.

Don’t let our adventure deter you, we just got unlucky. Get out there and enjoy it.

As other have said, parking is free but from memory you have to park short of the carpark. Due to weather condition it was deserted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes