Big Agnes releasing Dyneema Tents

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Big Agnes releasing Dyneema Tents

Postby Species 8472 » Wed 27 Feb, 2019 1:35 pm

Big Agnes will be releasing their trusty well kniwn8 tents using Dyneema fabric and carbon poles.
The weights are insane.
However they'll be using Dyneema fabric at only 0.34 oz/sq yard for the fly and 0.51 oz/sq yard for the floor. Zpacks uses 0.51 minimim for fly and 1.0 oz for their floor.
Flimsy ?
Their RRP will hurt especially with our exchange rate.

http://www.adventurealan.com/big-agnes- ... a-for-2019
Species 8472
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Big Agnes releasing Dyneema Tents

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 01 Mar, 2019 8:28 pm

Interesting
I am not up on all the tech stats of DCF compositions, but the images on the link certainly looked more 'sheer' than offerings from other manufacturers that I have gazed longingly at on my computer screen.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gippsmick » Sat 02 Mar, 2019 11:46 am

Wow. Will have to look out for them. It will kill the hit pocket for sure but a welcome addition to DCF range of tents. A Tigerwall version would be awesome. Seems like a lot of manufacturers are adding DCF into the mix. Six Moon Designs did the same last year. And Big Agnes customer service will crap all over that of Z-Packs.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 7:40 am

SMD were one of the first to make a DCF shelter, the Refuge X in 2008.
That was short lived but had a go again in 2010 till 2015, still making them in the USA.
I think that the new line up will be made in China like the rest of their tents.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 11:51 am

Andrew skurka did a write up on his website. They are using very thin dynema that's prone to damage
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 12:40 pm

I'm all for the expansion of DCF shelters but 0.34 oz/sqyd seems ridiculous?? Even 0.51 is sketchy IMO (I have a 0.75 tarp and i consider that minimal).
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 7:58 pm

Wow. I have a Z packs tent with 0.51 Oz fly, which has held up well ( and with the heavier floor fabric...? 0.7oz). I’ve also used the 0.34oz fabric for MYO stuff. My observation is that it might be OK for a tent fly, but it certainly isn’t for a stuff sack/dry bag etc. I’d use it as a bivvy sack outer, and possibly/ maybe as a tarp, but I’m much happier with my 0.5oz tarp. I have made a Botha bag out of my 0.34oz cuban....not needed to use it yet, but it should work. I’m not inspired by Cuban less than the 0.5 Oz version.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 8:45 pm

DCF is custom made for the client so BA DCF could well be different to Zpacks, MLD...
Personally I'd hold off and let others test the BA offering.
But then again... It's always fun to be the first kid on the block.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking