Girraween N.P. bushfire...

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Girraween N.P. bushfire...

Postby ofuros » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 7:10 am

Just in case your planning to head out there this weekend...

Screenshot_2019-02-14-07-01-33-1152x1536.png
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Girraween N.P. bushfire...

Postby cough » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 11:37 am

Sad. The whole national park is horrendously dry, with much less wildlife around at the moment. These bushfires won't help. Seems to be the area around South Bald Rock/West Bald Rock?
cough
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 6:06 am

Being controlled...

Screenshot_2019-02-17-05-54-51.png

Screenshot_2019-02-17-05-58-06.png
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Mon 25 Feb, 2019 7:31 pm

Good news...finally under control.
Now all we need is those Summer rains that SE Qld has been waiting so long for...

Screenshot_2019-02-25-19-23-00.png
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gbagua » Wed 27 Feb, 2019 1:38 pm

Directly related to that:

Dear Gerard --

Summer is almost over, but after months of unprecedented natural disasters leaving Queensland communities picking up the pieces, climate change is at the top of our minds. If we don't stop thermal coal mining and gas fracking, the shocking floods, bushfires, drought and heatwaves will get even worse.

During the last Parliamentary sitting week I asked the Premier how Labor can possibly justify new coal mines and coal seam gas explorations, when they know it puts our lives and homes on the line.

Instead of answering, she gave a long lecture to the LNP about how they need to accept the science of climate change. That's obviously true, but right now Labor has the power to change things in Queensland, and on behalf of all of us fighting for climate justice, I’m asking them to take action.

Last year I introduced the Mineral Resources (Galilee Basin) Amendment Bill 2018, which would ban thermal coal mining in the Galilee Basin, stopping Adani and preventing further proposed exploitation of coal deposits in the Galilee. This is the type of urgent, decisive action the scientific community is urging Governments to take if they’re serious about our future.

The committee considering my Bill is holding public hearings on Monday at Parliament House, and will hear from a number experts and interest groups, including about the urgent need to #StopAdani and phase out coal. Before it all kicks off I’ll be joining climate action groups like Stop Adani Brisbane, Grey Power Climate Protectors and Galilee Blockade in a short, sharp rally at Speakers' Corner from 8:30-9:15am. Can you join us in calling on the State Government to act on climate and keep Galilee coal in the ground? The details are here, and I’d love to see you there.

The next event to put in your calendar is the school strike for climate action, coming up on the 15th of March. Last year, students striked from school to demand political action on climate change, and this time everyone is invited to join. The 2019 strike is shaping up to be a powerful and inspiring event - I’ll be heading along with my kids, and I hope you will join me.

If you have want to support students and help make this action as HUGE as it can be, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved. Head along to the Brisbane Info Night: School Strike 4 Climate on Thursday the 28th, and click attending to the main Brisbane School Strike 4 Climate event here to receive general updates.

Last year a heap of families from the western suburbs joined in, and I hope even more will come along on 15 March. If there are any local families or young people with questions, concerns, or particular suggestions about how I can help support and promote this important action, please get in touch with my office.

I know I speak for many Queenslanders when I say I'm terrified for our future. But the past few weeks has seen climate change dominate headlines, and even major party politicians are feeling the heat. These shifts show that when we unite and unrelentingly call for action, we can make a difference. I hope you can join me on Monday morning to push QLD Labor to take this simple, urgent step towards climate justice.

Yours in hope,

Michael

Michael Berkman MP for Maiwar

1/49 Station Road, Indooroopilly
P: 07 3737 4100 • E: maiwar@parliament.qld.gov.au
http://www.michaelberkman.com.au

QUEENSLAND, please prove for once that you really are the SMART STATE.

Protecting the natural environment is a necessity and an obligation so that future generations can also enjoy the planet the way we did.

Thank you! :)
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Queensland