Ultralight running sandals - hiking?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Ultralight running sandals - hiking?

Postby Stew63 » Fri 15 Feb, 2019 7:49 pm

Okay I'm about to start dabbling in Ultralight running sandals (Shamma Warriors or Luna Osos 2.0) in the slow transition to barefoot running.
Both sandals are marketed towards hiking, trailrunning and walking - although the Lunas have a more aggressive Vibram tread but they are almost 260gm/each!
The thinner Shammas only weigh about ~85gm each.

Has anyone here tried UltraLight Running Sandals for hiking - particularly in tough country? Experience? Other brands?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Ultralight running sandals - hiking?

Postby Xastorm » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 7:20 am

I have the Xero Umara Z-Trails. Bought them for bikepacking as I needed something I could swap into quickly without removing my socks (no divided toe-strap), provide enough tread for water crossings and day hikes and some stability to allow cycling short distances in them.

I ended up hiking Asahidake and Mt Oakan in Hokkaido in them, which are rougher trails (mud, rocks, tree roots, etc) than 90% of what I've done around Victoria have been. Certainly without a divided toe-strap I did find my feet slip forward in them once muddly/wet, especially on the downhills, so there's essentially a bit of winching your feet into them to provide more stability when required. And also more prone to catching the front of the sandal if you're not careful about lifting your feet high enough over obstacles, so more at risk of stubbing a toe or tripping by carelessness.

But I would absolutely hike nearly anything in them, knowing their limitations (maybe not snow.. hypothermia!). They are not my Salomon trail runners, but they fit my intended purpose perfectly and I take them away every hiking trip to use as camp sandals.

49C5FCDF-1A89-48F2-BD41-FAB0452C60D2.jpeg
49C5FCDF-1A89-48F2-BD41-FAB0452C60D2.jpeg (148.04 KiB) Viewed 10696 times
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Stew63 » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 8:53 am

Xastorm - thanks for bringing the Xeros to my attention. I probably wouldn't use them as a barefoot running sandal though - as you said without the divided toe-strap my feet would be sliding all over the place!

Hey I too was up hiking at Asahidake last July! We started out from Soundkyo.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xastorm » Sat 16 Feb, 2019 9:07 pm

That's cool! I got about 1/2 way up Sounkyo but it was late in the day so turned back. I happened to be on Asahidake the night of the Sapporo earthquake which made for a very strange experience.. no phone signal, electricity or food, and no Japanese so no understanding of what had happened. The ropeway was closed so it is probably the only time you'd ever get to explore that volcano in summer without crowds of people. It would be awesome to do a through hike in the Daisetsuzan.. lucky you. Cycling through there was pretty special :D

Good luck finding the right sandals! I wouldn't want to run in the Xeros either.
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Stew63 » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 9:37 am

Xastorm - what was your cycling tour route whilst in Japan? I've been many times and have always dreamt of a long cycling tour - unfortunately kids got in the way.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 4:23 pm

Not running sandals, but hubby did a trip on the Overland Track in Five Fingers and they were totally trashed by the end.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Xastorm » Sun 17 Feb, 2019 4:47 pm

This is the route I did Stew.. hindsight being a wonderful thing, I'd love to have ridden it slower, but my timeframe was tight. Have previously cycled in Shikoku, which was lovely, but Hokkaido is on another level (as you obviously understand if you're a repeat traveller!).
I am tossing around the idea of going back over with my bike, tent and a couple of extra weeks which would allow for more hiking :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1829729155
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jdeks » Mon 18 Feb, 2019 10:14 am

I run and hike in Xeros as well. Specifically their originals or maybe Amuri Clouds for running, and ztreks for hiking.

The originals are fantastic for running BUT on sharp rocky surfaces over distance, you can get a bit bruised if you're not some crazy ultramarathoner with iron soles. The Z treks have a thicker sole thats better for uncomfortable surfaces but I have issues with getting them tight enough and rub point with the straps when I run in them. Still, great walking sandal, I've done 30km + days no problem.

I've actually just gone over to a set of Bellevile TR103's because there are MANY situations where wanted full enclosure but a zero drop, low profile flexible sole for more natural foot movement. Best I've ever had. I'm using the ZTreks less now, just taking the original Xeros as a camp/track shoe.

Just one thing - personally, I'd avoid the thicker foam sole style sandles. If youre trying to build up foot condition, you want low thickness, high flex. And on that note - dont shy away from between-the-toes style straps. The ones complaining about it hurting between the toes are the ones who've not got the tension right. It is the more secure method, hands down.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Stew63 » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks jdeks - I've just ordered a pair of Shamma Warriors with UltraGrip (they have the 'between the toe' straps) and also the power straps. The Warriors have a Vibram Newflex sole with a flexible 5mm thickness. Weight 85gm/each.
I'll stick to barefoot running on the bitumen and use the Shammas for trailrunning and packhiking.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking