Stable flies...

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Stable flies...

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 10:19 pm

First time coming across stable flies. Encountered them in plague proportions and was a horrible dampener on the trip. So many bites! I've never been a fan of using chemicals on myself to deter insects or have really found a need for it. But now I'm wondering what some find most effective? Someone had some 'off' with them but it don't do squat.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Stable flies...

Postby Zapruda » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 4:29 am

I use Off (thanks G) for the Horse flies in KNP and it works well. I much prefer it to Deet which always left me feeling a little nauseous.

Nothing beats long sleeves and pants when the biteys are out. A bit hard to swallow in this weather though.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ofuros » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 5:14 am

Hours of fun...ultra lightweight & makes a satisfying thwak. :wink:

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/starmai ... r/p/20307/

I usually wave my limbs at them & keep on walking...stable, horse & march flies are annoying buggers when they are around.

Saddlery's have a cedarwood & rosemary repellent that might be an friendlier alternative...if it works...been meaning to trial it but haven't got around to it.

They seem to be attracted to movement, body heat & the carbon dioxide we breath out...but are not active at night.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Lamont » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 6:50 am

Zapruda wrote:I use Off (thanks G) for the Horse flies in KNP and it works well. I much prefer it to Deet which always left me feeling a little nauseous.

Nothing beats long sleeves and pants when the biteys are out. A bit hard to swallow in this weather though.

Prego, glad I could for once, return the favour(s)!
"(flies) A bit hard to swallow"-am I paying the pun?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Mark F » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 8:16 am

Have you noticed that "fly rise" happens a little before "sparrow fart". so there is no avoiding them. I have tried insecticide treated shirts and the work to some extent but seem better for mozzies rather than flies.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 9:35 am

The Off brand products are not the same. This may have been your problem and/or the way you applied it perhaps?
They have two main ingredients in their products, one is DEET, useless basically for flies (but suitable for everything else) and the others contain Picaridan (suitable for everything including flies) @10% and @20%.
You need to check the bottle -the one you want is the squat spray bottle check the label with Picaridan 20%.
Decant into a 30ml bottle, rub a small amount lightly onto your palms (about the size of a 1 cent coin per limb app) and then really well onto (any) and to exposed skin only. This is the key-if you don't follow this carefully you take your chances I have found and most people then blame (or think mistakenly it's) the product.
Of course the more covered you are the better-you need to apply less.
Need to re apply? Follow the times stated carefully(or a bit before), stop, wait until the sweat on you dries, reapply, off you go.Don't forget the backs of your hands and up slightly or down into your clothes just a wee bit.i.e wearing pants-do a very little around your ankles. Shirt -just under the collar.
Flies and mozzies will follow and plague (!!!!!) you, but for the most part (or in my case totally) will not land, even where you haven't applied it.
It would be really interesting to hear whether these 'stable flies' are any different and if you applied the right stuff the right way.
Cheers.
Last edited by Lamont on Sat 26 Jan, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 9:42 am

ofuros wrote:Hours of fun...ultra lightweight & makes a satisfying thwak. :wink:

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/starmai ... r/p/20307/

I usually wave my limbs at them & keep on walking...stable, horse & march flies are annoying buggers when they are around.

Saddlery's have a cedarwood & rosemary repellent that might be an friendlier alternative...if it works...been meaning to trial it but haven't got around to it.

They seem to be attracted to movement, body heat & the carbon dioxide we breath out...but are not active at night.
Lol. I was using my saucepan lid and as satisfying as it was pretending to be a fly Jedi I would rather derive my satisfaction from other avenues.
Huntsman247

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 26 Jan, 2019 9:45 am

Lamont wrote:The Off brand products are not the same. This may have been your problem and/or the way you applied it perhaps?
They have two main ingredients in their products, one is DEET, useless basically for flies (but suitable for everything else) and the others contain Picaridan (suitable for everything including flies) @10% and @20%.
You need to check the bottle -the one you want is the squat spray bottle check the label with Picaridan 20%.
Decant into a 30ml bottle, rub a small amount lightly onto your palms (about the size of a 1 cent coin per limb app) and then really well onto (any) and to exposed skin only. This is the key-if you don't follow this carefully you take your chances I have found and most people then blame the product.
Of course the more covered you are the better-you need to apply less.
Need to re apply? Follow the times stated carefully(or a bit before), stop, wait until the sweat on you dries, reapply, off you go.Don't forget the backs of your hands and up slightly or down into your clothes just a wee bit.i.e wearing pants-do a very little around your ankles. Shirt -just under the collar.
Flies and mozzies will follow and plague (!!!!!) you, but for the most part (or in my case totally) will not land, even where you haven't applied it.
It would be really interesting to hear whether these 'stable flies' are any different and if you applied the right stuff the right way.
Cheers.
Will check the bottle composition.
Huntsman247

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 2:42 pm

It's an American site but I immediately thought of this older thread
The term blood sucking vampire ghosts also came to mind
http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/pestalert/deerfly.htm
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart