Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushwalki

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushw

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 9:44 am

In Australia - fire service constantly doing controlled burns.. with National Parks close to Sydney choked in smoke during peak bushwalking season. April - September almost every day!!

In NZ - sandflies!
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 6:50 pm

north-north-west wrote:There is nothing more infuriating and frustrating than cancelling a projected trip because of a highly unfavourable forecast when said forecast turns out to be about as reliable as the average political promise.
But everytime you stick it to the forecast and still go, it turns out just as predicted...
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Huntsman247 » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 6:54 pm

north-north-west wrote:People who break vegetation on an overgrowing track, but leave it dangling.

If you're going to break it to make passage easier, break it right off and chuck it away. Leaving it attached creates a greater problem than the living vegetation.
Even worse when they turn a shrub into an impailer stick. Had one been a few cm longer I'd have been pretty badly heart broken...
Huntsman247

Postby davidf » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 8:15 am

Coming back to where i normally live, which is actually quite nice, i do miss the dogs.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wallwombat » Mon 31 Dec, 2018 4:50 pm

Bushwalkers who take Bluetooth speakers into the bush and blast their loud crappy music at very high levels.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hermione » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 4:20 pm

Ultralight fanatics who take take luggage scales so they can weigh people's packs. Took me a while to figure out why this incensed me so much, since for myself I don't care as I'm fairly comfortable with my pack and while lightweight I doubt I will ever be ultralight (not that anyone asked to weigh my pack). What bothered me was seeing others with heavier packs made to feel inadequate because of their gear choices, which may be what they can afford given that there were a number of families with kids, with Dad carrying the majority of gear, or just infrequent bushwalkers who aren't don't want to invest hundreds of dollars in new gear. I'm pretty sure these people knew their packs were heavy given they'd just lugged them uphill for 20km or so. If the aim really was to educate rather than belittle people I think there might be a better way to go about it. Also as an ultralighter why carry scales??? Surely you know the weight of all your own gear!
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mark F » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 4:45 pm

The converted are always the worst proselytizers - a bit like vegans :twisted: ... runs for shelter.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 5:59 pm

Hey Hermione where did that happen? Did they then proceed to mock people?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Hermione » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 6:18 pm

Frenchman’s, no they didn’t mock people. I don’t really think they had bad intentions just a bit misguided in my opinion, because I’m pretty sure anyone who’s lugged a 20kg pack up to Tahune hut is well aware of the weight.
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"
Hermione
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 6:29 pm

More a form of bragging I'd wager.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 6:52 pm

I'll take March flies over midgys any day. I find it fun teaching the kids how to "hunt" march flies. The trick is to let them settle in. If you move too soon, they get away, let them get ready to bite and they seem to be distracted, so I tell the kids to count to three, then hit it hard. Of course you still need to jump on them afterwards because most people are not willing hit themselves hard enough to kill one. Sometimes with the boys it becomes a "who's tougher" type game. And I get a huge amount of amusement as some of the kids try to use themselves as bait. Better that than have them disrupt everything in panic every time a bug shows up.

As far as walking peeves go, not enough time to do as much walking as I'd like.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Sun 06 Jan, 2019 8:31 pm

NZ sand flies can gagf

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:44 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:NZ sand flies can gagf

Unfortunately that's why they keep multiplying :wink:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cajun » Mon 07 Jan, 2019 10:09 am

johnw wrote:
Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:NZ sand flies can gagf

Unfortunately that's why they keep multiplying :wink:

Love it! but not them...
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Petew » Mon 22 Apr, 2019 1:34 pm

Let's see....

In NZ, sandflies. They make me miss the snakes and spiders.

Toilet paper flowers all over the track on popular walks.

People walking with music blaring

Camp fires in fire ban areas, often still smouldering with no-one in sight.

Whatever the critters are that crash around the bush at 3 in the morning when I'm out solo. It's not the noise, it's the associated psychodrama in my head that's annoying
Petew

Postby trekker76 » Sat 27 Apr, 2019 5:35 pm

when camping in designated fossicking areas, all the grey nomads that seem to want to park right on top of each other, and you. They travel thousands of miles from the city to enjoy open areas and then park their cruisers, caravans and ivecos together like sardines :D
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Sun 28 Apr, 2019 4:26 pm

"...seem to want to park right on top of each other, and you. They travel thousands of miles from the city to enjoy open areas and then park their cruisers, caravans and ivecos together like sardines..."
Recreating suburbia one campsite at a time. Do we subconsciously cling to others as humans? Walking out along 90 mile beach away from any potential distractions for a quiet fish, only to find a few hours later a bloke walking a good half km, up the sand, to set up within shouting distance of me. F#$k off and leave me alone! Over the years Ive come to realise a few truths
1. Many ppl are actually scared of the dark and the bush. They will usually compensate with loud music, lights, alcohol and/or large fires.
2. Many ppl can not stand their own company or don't trust themselves and will travel in large groups, set camp annoyingly close to others, talk incessantly, general PITA
3. Many ppl believe and will act like they are the first person in the bush- the only person in the bush- the only user of the bush. This fuels intolerant behaviours such as blue tooth speakers, poor toileting, out of sight/mind rubbish disposal, drones, not exercising appropriate hut/water tank use, firewood collection and irresponsible vehicle use ie sense of entitlement.
Its not all doom & gloom, it brought a smile to my face today to see a bloke heading off for a fish, guys firewood collection, a trailer full of dirt bikes and some deer hunters collecting their hounds all within 20km as I drove back from my own offtrack exploration and 4wding. Proof user groups can coexist.
Exercising tolerance, etiquette, compassion and minimum impact will enable future use of our precious outdoors.
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Ms_Mudd » Fri 10 May, 2019 1:50 pm

Petew wrote:
Whatever the critters are that crash around the bush at 3 in the morning when I'm out solo. It's not the noise, it's the associated psychodrama in my head that's annoying

Yes this ^^^ exactly!!!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ThehannaTree » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 9:47 pm

Waking up to find that last night you set up your tent in the rain and cold next to a sodden pile of poo and papier mache that could only have been left by a French elephant; being the one in the group who has to be the most cheerful because she doesnt have a working thermostat, feels hungry every 10 minutes and has food allergies that prevent her from helping out with the Tim Tams because hyperthyroidism is a constant companion; knees that go backwards down hills.
ThehannaTree
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 11:37 am

ThehannaTree wrote:... food allergies that prevent her from helping out with the Tim Tams ...

I have never felt more sympathy for anyone, ever. That truly sucks.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby trekker76 » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 8:55 pm

Heremeahappy1 wrote:"...seem to want to park right on top of each other, and you. They travel thousands of miles from the city to enjoy open areas and then park their cruisers, caravans and ivecos together like sardines..."
Recreating suburbia one campsite at a time. Do we subconsciously cling to others as humans? Walking out along 90 mile beach away from any potential distractions for a quiet fish, only to find a few hours later a bloke walking a good half km, up the sand, to set up within shouting distance of me. F#$k off and leave me alone! Over the years Ive come to realise a few truths
1. Many ppl are actually scared of the dark and the bush. They will usually compensate with loud music, lights, alcohol and/or large fires.
2. Many ppl can not stand their own company or don't trust themselves and will travel in large groups, set camp annoyingly close to others, talk incessantly, general PITA
3. Many ppl believe and will act like they are the first person in the bush- the only person in the bush- the only user of the bush. This fuels intolerant behaviours such as blue tooth speakers, poor toileting, out of sight/mind rubbish disposal, drones, not exercising appropriate hut/water tank use, firewood collection and irresponsible vehicle use ie sense of entitlement.
Its not all doom & gloom, it brought a smile to my face today to see a bloke heading off for a fish, guys firewood collection, a trailer full of dirt bikes and some deer hunters collecting their hounds all within 20km as I drove back from my own offtrack exploration and 4wding. Proof user groups can coexist.
Exercising tolerance, etiquette, compassion and minimum impact will enable future use of our precious outdoors.

Good response, especially no.1. That didn;t occur to me at first.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion