backpack roller trail trolley thingy

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

backpack roller trail trolley thingy

Postby trekker76 » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 1:09 pm

Guys obviously I am struggling with applicable search terms. :mrgreen:
Are there more 'offroad wheeled' versions of your generic luggage trolleys out there?
Generic Example: https://shared1.ad-lister.co.uk/GetImag ... e6fd&num=3

I am looking for options for people to traverse fairly easy trails and can walk well but who cannot carry a heavy pack. Some durability and a decent diameter wheel( as opposed to plastic rollers or casters) would be needed. I recall some custom versions being used by the long range road walkers but was wondering if anything is on the regular market? Could be something fairly obvious folks are using, I haven't had much luck putting in the right search term
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: backpack roller trail trolley thingy

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 1:14 pm

All the units I have seen mentioned have been home made, usually using small pushbike wheels or similar and only a single axle
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby trekker76 » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks Moondoog , might look at making something.
I managed to find some production examples
The monowalker fatmate, extreme price though $1000 USD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olnBPwIo1KM
Also the US meat haulers or deer hunting carts out there. https://catchthemeasy.com/best-deer-cart-reviews/

On that note 'cart' was the search term I needed, the yanks and their carts :)
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 2:39 pm

One point to consider. The vast majority of the custom trolleys are made for firetrail/road or hard pack sand use. On most bush trails there is usually several rock obtacles to negotiate. Easy enough using legs but quite a chore to get a ladden trolley over it.

Have you considered ultra light backpacking as an alternative? In warm climates a pack weighing 5-6 kg or even lower is achievable (assuming ready access to water supplies)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 3:11 pm

Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 4:09 pm

I've been known to use a wheel barrow when glamping with kids back in the day. Probably not the answer your looking for.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby trekker76 » Sat 15 Dec, 2018 11:01 pm

Franco wrote:http://dixonrollerpack.com/
http://carrix.ch.tripod.com/

Thanks Franco!
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Sun 16 Dec, 2018 1:16 am

wildwanderer wrote:Have you considered ultra light backpacking as an alternative? In warm climates a pack weighing 5-6 kg or even lower is achievable (assuming ready access to water supplies)

The weight of supplies for multi-night still prohibitive unfortunately, also they would like to take some photography gear.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Dec, 2018 8:24 am

Consider also the Chinese style wheelbarrow, with the single wheel in the centre of the load
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby norts » Sun 16 Dec, 2018 8:36 am

"Consider also the Chinese style wheelbarrow, with the single wheel in the centre of the load."
The SES use this style for stretcher carries in rough terrain.
http://www.fernorescue.com/products/bas ... r-carriers
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 16 Dec, 2018 8:47 am

Scotsman called Hamish Mackinnes developed that trolley or something quite like it for the BMC around the same time he was working on the Terradactyl ice hammer. The Ferno is a lot lighter than the original it seems. but they worked very well in the Lakes District when I was there. For bushwalking with the addition of a couple of tall poles it would make a decent camp kitchen shelter too
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 16 Dec, 2018 9:29 am

Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby trekker76 » Sun 16 Dec, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks the rescue stretchers are good but usually two person. The wheelie walker by radical is closest to the type of design I had in my head, just a basic bike trailer type thing. Price is a bit crazy, 600-800 euros but its great food for thought building my own.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 6:52 pm

I'd be inclined to find a cheap second-hand bicycle trailer off of Gumtree and modify it. Some bike trailers are made from a super light alloy.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby trekker76 » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 9:16 pm

Im considering that too
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 9:22 pm

I don't know what the optimum wheel size is but that could also be a consideration on rough tracks; as would be tyre size where bigger might be better, thinking fat-bike
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 10:13 pm

The only one I've seen in use had two kid's chairs and panniers for gear, and was based over a unicycle tyre I think he said, as it had a larger diameter and width.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ribuck » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 5:31 am

I just remembered, when our children were small we had a second-hand Silver Cross pram. Because of the way the wheels are suspended, it was quite good for pushing along at speed when running on trails. Obviously there needed to be no scrub or trees across the path, but tree roots and stony patches were no problem.

They are about $1500 new, but there are lots of old ones around going cheap. I think they would be usable for load carrying without adaptation. Just remove the sunshade and tie on the load, with the heavy things on the bottom carry-bars, and the light but bulky things in the buggy.

This is the type of thing I'm referring to:
http://www.pramworld.co.uk/silver-cross-kensington-navy

Also, some friends of ours used an "all-terrain buggy" to take their children to orienteering events. That could also work for transporting gear:
https://www.simplybaby.co.uk/baby-pushc ... rrain.html

Oh, the memories are flooding back now. Many decades ago, I knew a guy who operated a pirate radio station. He used one of those yellow newsagent's paperboy carts to haul his radio equipment into the Royal National Park:
https://collection.maas.museum/object/349572
papercart.jpg
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Gusto » Thu 27 Dec, 2018 10:14 pm

The Thule Chariot can be converted for hiking or Skiing [url]https://www.thule.com.au/products/multisport-trailers/thule-hikeski-carrier-conversion-kit-20100808/
[/url]

ParksVictoria have All Terrain wheelchairs that even have a small motor in them. Whilst it's not what you want. I wonder who designed them. I bet that same company could make a decent cart.

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/improving-park-access-for-all/all-terrain-wheelchairs

https://mobilityplus.com.au/product/trailrider
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Sat 29 Dec, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks ribuck and gusto for the last suggestions. At this stage I have decided to make a narrow wheelbase cart, two wheels and long handle, just for carrying an overnight pack size cargo, maybe 40-45L worth. Some of the other persons stuff I can backpack myself and if I can keep the cart small and light enough I can lug or it or lift it over obstacles or even make creek crossings. They would like to contribute not being a burden so to speak which is another reason to give them the chance to haul the cart. How tricky I get with terrain will depend how it all works in real life. It will be good just to get them on an easy walking track for an overnighter.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gusto » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 4:55 pm

If the other person wants to contribute then make them tow the wheelie cart.

Something that allows both pushing and pulling would be useful to encourage more equal participation
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby craigs902 » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 5:54 pm

I have a monowalker and plan on doing the 5500km bicentennial trail in a few years. I've used it a few times now and it's money well spent, I can carry a lot more than any backpack but have no side effects of using a backpack. 35kg of weight and only 12kg on your hips. I'm doing a 5 night 120km hike in 3weeks and it's going to be a breeze using the monowalker.
craigs902
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Cookstrail » Fri 05 Mar, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi craigs902 I just joined this forum can you tell me if you got the mono walker in oz or overseas ?
I’m at the top end of the bicentennial trail ,if you haven’t already come and gone would love to catch up with you for a report on your trail stories if possible .thanks ! don’t know how to make contact but you could let us know my husband and I live here.
Cookstrail
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jobell » Mon 08 Mar, 2021 1:42 pm

Cookstrail wrote:Hi craigs902 I just joined this forum can you tell me if you got the mono walker in oz or overseas ?
I’m at the top end of the bicentennial trail ,if you haven’t already come and gone would love to catch up with you for a report on your trail stories if possible .thanks ! don’t know how to make contact but you could let us know my husband and I live here.
Hey Cookstrail, pretty sure it’s the same Craig who is currently active on Facebook on the National Trail Trekkers page - start date in Cooktown 3 May. You might be able to chase him down and offer him some trail magic in return for stories and mono walker info via that FB page. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Cookstrail » Wed 10 Mar, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi Jobell
Great thanks a lot ! I really don’t know how to navigate this place , hope you get this message ,I’ll try to make contact with Craig but don’t have face book , but I’ll have a go at finding him ! Thanks again ! cookstrail .
Cookstrail
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Franco » Thu 11 Mar, 2021 7:04 am

Cookstrail wrote:Hi Jobell
Great thanks a lot ! I really don’t know how to navigate this place , hope you get this message ,I’ll try to make contact with Craig but don’t have face book , but I’ll have a go at finding him ! Thanks again ! cookstrail .

Click on his name on his post (craigs 902) , his personal page will open up , there is a "send a private message" option there. That sends a message to him via his E Mail address.
Last edited by Franco on Tue 16 Mar, 2021 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cookstrail » Mon 15 Mar, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi Franco ,
Wow thanks a lot for your directions ! We are trying to find someone in town that has face book so as to follow your directions ,we have a little time to make contact with Craig’s 902 before he embarks on his endeavour Hope we don’t miss him ,we are an old couple and struggle with all this communication . We have recently bought a original monowalker and would love to catch up with him ,for him to give us some instructions and to share info about it and to share some experiences of the bush .
Thanks so much for your help !
cookstrail
Cookstrail
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Franco » Tue 16 Mar, 2021 9:04 am

No I was not suggesting you use Face Book, use the contact form ON THIS FORUM. Read what I wrote again.
Doing this he will get a message to his E Mail address (new message from Bushwalk australia)
That E Mail ends up in the Primary box not the social as it does with Face Book, so more likely to be noticed.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (194.33 KiB) Viewed 24120 times
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cookstrail » Wed 17 Mar, 2021 8:41 pm

Hi Mates ,
Thanks for all you help ! Contacted craigs 902 , thanks for helping a technically challenged old lady , appreciate your help !
cookstrail
Cookstrail
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Equipment