Mexican beans on trail?

Food topics, including recipes.

Mexican beans on trail?

Postby emma_melbourne » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 9:10 am

I am wanting to do a Mexican bean dish on trail, but I can't seem to find any rehydrated Mexican beans / pinto beans / black beans / refried beans in Australia.

There's a really yummy looking recipe on Andrew Skurka's blog:
https://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacki ... os-cheese/

Any thoughts on how best to do a Mexican bean dish in Australia, given I can't seem to find any dehydrated on the market?

I thought maybe to buy black beans raw, and boil them for 3 minutes, with roughly 100 grams to 2.2 cups of water.

Or perhaps bring water to boil and pour boiling water into freezer bag with the beans.

Has anyone tried anything like that on trail? I will try experimenting this week but any input / people's experiences cooking Mexican beans would be appreciated?
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mexican beans on trail?

Postby CasualNerd » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 9:36 am

I haven't tried black beans specifically but in my experience raw dry beans take a lot lot longer than 3 minutes to cook.

Ideally you could cook them at home and dehydrate ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 10:13 am

Woolies has canned, mexican mix, four bean mix, red, black, cannellini etc etc...maybe you could drain & dehydrate those & use them as a base ?
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 10:42 am

Even with pre-soaking in lime water beans will take a minimum of 20 minutes of cooking and if Red Kidney beans at least 3 minutes of this has to be a full rolling boil.
I like bean burritos myself. I've looked at getting a dehydrator but we haven't yet bought one.
Red lentils cook quick but don't taste anywhere near as yummy in tacos and burritos
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 10:56 am

I have used the canned kidney beans in Chili Con Carne that was later dehydrated. They worked well - just added to the mix while cooking the mince etc.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 10:58 am

I looked for the Sante Fe brand for ages as well-no luck.
The seppos seem to have it all over us for dehydrated meal variety.
The refried (Mexican) version is pulpy/pureed/mashed and has flavours already mixed in which may make it more easily spread thinly and dried in the oven, perhaps?
Cooking dried bean from scratch at the camp would take quite a while and use a lot of gas.
What about, blend some onions and garlic, dead 'orse, Red wine vinegar, sugar, Pimenton and Cannellini -my favourite and I think one of the perfect nutritional beans (can be bought in tins softened ready to eat) cook them down for about half an hour.
I don't think you should use any oil in the mix for stability, but carry some extra virgin in your rucksack and add it at the end-20mls per person.
Spread the blended and cooked beans on -baking paper would work I think?
150 degrees for a few hours?
Cool and dry in oven?
Then blend the dried remnants into powder?
I have carried forms of so called Mexican seasoning and it is great. Add some more at the end to taste, but beware, some of it is full of rubbish. Make your own-even better-get some Pimenton it is excellente.
Get some and cheddar or savoury shapes crumble them in at the end.
Might this work?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Neo » Sun 02 Dec, 2018 3:41 pm

Vego nachos is one of my staples. Usually night two :)

Plain corn chips, OK if they get crumbled! Half a small brie chopped on top.

I use some fine diced onion (could use dried) with a mini can of 4 beans or corn. And some tomatoes from the lunch stash. Some fine diced capsicum adds another variant .

Send me a PM if you would like my Mexican seasoning recipe. Super easy taco style and works for nachos or whatever.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eljimberino » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 8:20 pm

If anyone can find the Santa Fe type instant refried beans postage to Australia, I’ll shake their hand.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lamont » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 8:44 pm

Yo también.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 6:25 am

Eljimberino wrote:If anyone can find the Santa Fe type instant refried beans postage to Australia, I’ll shake their hand.

I look all the time in the vain hope that they will appear. No luck. Maybe we should all do a group buy and get them through a forwarding service.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 5:12 pm

S I'm in for some I reckon.
These can be eaten cold can't they?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 5:32 pm

You can buy tins of refried beans at the supermarket https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/187333/old-el-paso-refried-beans and dehydrate yourself while adjusting the seasoning to achieve whatever Santa Fe style is - what am I missing in satisfying this common yearning? Anybody looked in Costco?
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 5:48 pm

It's the convenience for me Mark. I'm just a lazy pillock. Sometimes it's just go time and I would like this as part of my selection. Ready to grab.
Still haven't got around to making Zapruda's hummus.
Maybe I will have to go into the refried beans and Zapruda hummus darkroom on my hols and see what develops.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 5:54 pm

Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 18 Dec, 2018 6:05 pm

MAAARRRRKK.

Might have to restock this while I am there
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/groceries/li ... sky-700ml/

and this to put in the freezer
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/groceries/li ... a-700ml-2/

Looks like it's off to Aldo as my Mum would say.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Wed 19 Dec, 2018 8:50 am

Mark F wrote:You can buy tins of refried beans at the supermarket https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/187333/old-el-paso-refried-beans and dehydrate yourself while adjusting the seasoning to achieve whatever Santa Fe style is - what am I missing in satisfying this common yearning? Anybody looked in Costco?

Yes, looked in Costco the other day and no luck. Good hotdogs though!

I tried dehydrating some old el paso refried beans a while ago on your recommendation, Mark. It wasn't very successful, sadly (my fault I'm sure). My partner also hated the smell of anything dehydrating in our apartment.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Trundlers » Sat 22 Dec, 2018 8:48 pm

Emma, check out Patagonia.com.au and look at the provisions section. Dehydrated bean dishes that taste pretty good. But they frequently get out of stock.
Trundlers
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Neo » Sun 23 Dec, 2018 6:52 am

Santa came early, two books Extreme Gourmet and Self Rescue by David Fasulo & Mike Clelland.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby coryjohnrist » Fri 28 Dec, 2018 2:13 pm

I have searched high and wide here in Perth for Dehydrated Beans, no one has them and say they have never even seen them here. Have tried making my own from scratch (soak/cook/dehydrate) but have yet to hit the sweet spot. I saw a vid on youtube of a hiker who bought a BUCKET of them at Walmart in the US.
coryjohnrist
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lamont » Fri 28 Dec, 2018 6:08 pm

I checked Patagonia from trundlers link above-- "coming soon" Look out!!!!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 30 Dec, 2018 8:54 am

https://selfreliantschool.com/dehydrati ... ook-beans/
https://www.trail.recipes/dehydrating12 ... ing-meals/
Just looked online
You don't need a dedicated dehydrator if you have a convection oven and spare time and I like the idea of exploded beans for quicker rehydration time. I might give the dried cooked beans a trial
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rustyjus » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 9:42 pm

After reading this post, I got inspired and made skurkas bean recipe and it turned out to be one of the best meals over a 7 night hike on the SCT.

I purchased a can of refried beans and a sachet of taco spice mix, corn chips and Jalepenoes (to add a bit of heat)from Woolworths.

I also steamed some rice as well...The rice proved better when I put in the fridge overnight and the rinsed the starch out of it, to seperate the grains.

I separately deyhyrdrated everything until crispy in my mums old sunbeam dehydrator (took about 6 hours) and then weighed, mixed and bagged the ingredients.

1 can of refried beans makes exactly 2 portions as per Skurkas recipe which worked out well.

1 serve took precisely 300 ml to rehydrate.. just add the mix to boiling water, bring back to boil, add cheese and then set it aside in a pot cosy for 10-15 min.

perfect .. will definitely be doing it again.

IMG_0883.jpeg
rustyjus
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 8:32 am

Mmmmmm loooks good rusty. Now you should try some home made baked Beans (far better than that shop dross) using Canellini beans and you could alternate between the two. Both should weigh the same and be same volume.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby oysters » Tue 16 Jun, 2020 11:23 pm

coryjohnrist wrote:I have searched high and wide here in Perth for Dehydrated Beans, no one has them and say they have never even seen them here. Have tried making my own from scratch (soak/cook/dehydrate) but have yet to hit the sweet spot. I saw a vid on youtube of a hiker who bought a BUCKET of them at Walmart in the US.

Yeah I just watched one of Jupiter's videos.... super jealous of the whole damn buckets of these things at Walmart!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a7kwzwCpvI

I've been meaning to attempt to dehydrate my favourite lentils for ages. I think I'll start having a go tomorrow. In the past I've done a variety of fruit leathers, veggies, and rice. Dehydrating rice always works superbly. I think a blend of rice and lentils will go down quite well. Dehydrating things individually always seems to be easier than as a full meal as different parts have different drying rates.

New dehydrator though and I haven't done this for over a decade so will see how I go. Its not a bad time to do it in winter, while I'm stuck at home studying for exams.

If anyone has noticed any dehydrated beans/lentils, or rice in Aus...or bulk veggies for a reasonable price, let me know!
oysters
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby Casparvitch » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 4:13 pm

I know the question was about precooked dehydrated beans, just thought I'd add that I use these sealed packets of beans (chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans) on my walks:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/864033/edgell-black-bean-pouch

They're delicious (IMO tastier than canned), don't need cooking, and nice and sealed so they won't go off on you. Of course there's the downside that they aren't dehydrated, so you are carrying some weight in water. On the other hand compared with tinned beans, at least they aren't sitting in brine.

In the summer I even took a dozen or so packets across to NZ, no issues in customs :) I just checked my pantry, I have 6 packets there waiting for the next trip...

I cook some rice, fry the beans (1 packet = 100g per person) in olive oil and add some chips and [a tonne of] spice mix and I have an easy and luxurious meal - light on the gas usage too.

Probably a bit heavier than a lot of you guys carry, but I haven't found any vego dehydrated packet meals that are are nice and don't cost a fortune. I also can't bring myself to dehydrate things as the energy usage seems huge, rather just carry a bit more.
Casparvitch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Zapruda » Wed 17 Jun, 2020 6:16 pm

Casparvitch wrote:I know the question was about precooked dehydrated beans, just thought I'd add that I use these sealed packets of beans (chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans) on my walks:

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/864033/edgell-black-bean-pouch

They're delicious (IMO tastier than canned), don't need cooking, and nice and sealed so they won't go off on you. Of course there's the downside that they aren't dehydrated, so you are carrying some weight in water. On the other hand compared with tinned beans, at least they aren't sitting in brine.

In the summer I even took a dozen or so packets across to NZ, no issues in customs :) I just checked my pantry, I have 6 packets there waiting for the next trip...

I cook some rice, fry the beans (1 packet = 100g per person) in olive oil and add some chips and [a tonne of] spice mix and I have an easy and luxurious meal - light on the gas usage too.

Probably a bit heavier than a lot of you guys carry, but I haven't found any vego dehydrated packet meals that are are nice and don't cost a fortune. I also can't bring myself to dehydrate things as the energy usage seems huge, rather just carry a bit more.

I love those packets, especially the black bean. Great for summer when I don’t bring a stove. A bit of oil and some spices yum!
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flingebunt » Thu 16 Jul, 2020 2:02 pm

One of the best options for no rehydrate beans on the trail is the Edgel no drain bean pouches. They have chick peas, red kidney beans and black beans. I have only seen these at Woolworths, and I haven't seen the black beans, but I am sure if you shop around you can find them.
Attachments
download black beans.jpg
download black beans.jpg (7.61 KiB) Viewed 42741 times
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby commando » Fri 31 Jul, 2020 12:03 am

Karl Pilkington from The Idiot Abroad series took to the streets of Mexico looking to buy some Mexican jumping beans
no-one had a clue what he was talking about...
commando
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nickzed » Fri 21 Aug, 2020 9:41 pm

rustyjus wrote:After reading this post, I got inspired and made skurkas bean recipe and it turned out to be one of the best meals over a 7 night hike on the SCT.

I purchased a can of refried beans and a sachet of taco spice mix, corn chips and Jalepenoes (to add a bit of heat)from Woolworths.

I also steamed some rice as well...The rice proved better when I put in the fridge overnight and the rinsed the starch out of it, to seperate the grains.

I separately deyhyrdrated everything until crispy in my mums old sunbeam dehydrator (took about 6 hours) and then weighed, mixed and bagged the ingredients.

1 can of refried beans makes exactly 2 portions as per Skurkas recipe which worked out well.

1 serve took precisely 300 ml to rehydrate.. just add the mix to boiling water, bring back to boil, add cheese and then set it aside in a pot cosy for 10-15 min.

perfect .. will definitely be doing it again.

IMG_0883.jpeg

Might I ask, how did you deal with the cheese? Did you dehydrate some? Thanks
nickzed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Sat 22 Aug, 2020 1:05 pm

nickzed wrote:Might I ask, how did you deal with the cheese? Did you dehydrate some? Thanks

You just take some hard cheese. It won't go off for weeks if kept well in non-tropical climate. Cheese is, after all, a long-life form of largely dehydrated milk.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Bush Tucker