Any multi-day hikes with accommodation options in between?

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Any multi-day hikes with accommodation options in between?

Postby lostkiwi » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 8:45 am

Hello all

Does anyone know of any multi-day hikes, along established hiking paths, that have non camping accommodation options along the way?

This is something I used to do in the UK quite a bit, over there there were plenty of national walkways that constantly pass through small villages and such, so it would be easy to do a trip over several days while staying in B&B's along the way. I used to love it, and would love to do it more again, although most of the trails here that I know off are remote and don't offer much in the way of accommodation.

I travel light, jogging some of the way, and can cover a reasonable amount of distance in a day. Up to 60km on conformable track, obviously less on more challenging terrain.

I know of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail, which I plan to do over 3 days next year. I am just wondering if there are any other options. preferably driving distance from Brisbane.

Many thanks all.
lostkiwi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Any multi-day hikes with accommodation options in betwee

Postby ofuros » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 1:09 pm

Gold Coast hinterland walk ?
Plenty of B&B's in Springbrook, accommodation @ Binna Burra & accommodation @ O'Reilly's or vice versa.

You can do the 17km Warrie circuit track in Springbrook as a warm up lap... plus there's a myriad of other circuits at Binna Burra & O'Reilly's.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby lostkiwi » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 2:21 pm

Hmmm, looks pretty decent. If I stayed at O'Reilly I could potentially get through the whole thing in one day, although it would be a long challenging day; I can see in Strava that other people have managed it, so it's not out of the question

Thanks for the suggest, and I still welcome any others.
lostkiwi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 6:26 pm

It is under 22k (21.4 is the latest calculation) on the border track between O'Reilly's and Binna Burra. We often make a day walk to cover the distance both ways. It is a graded track and currently has more water than usual. The three little creeks to cross within a kilometre of each other, at appx 7-8k out of Binna Burra are all flowing well.( Nov 7) Fast walking, we do it in 7 hrs.
If you wanted to go one way in a day (say Binna Burra to O'Reilly's ), you could turn off to the Tooloona circuit at 7.6k out of O'Reilly's and rejoin the border track 300m out of O'Reilly's. That would give you over 30k for the day.
On the return, you could similarly incorporate the Coomera circuit (leaves the border track at appx 8.4k out of Binna Burra) and add some kilometres.
We make a longer day of it by doing the Middle traverse (an off track route directly between Binna Burra and O'Reilly's) and returning by the border track.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Fri 16 Nov, 2018 6:33 pm

I'd also look at the Sunshine coast hinterland walk. It is really just linking several state forest and national park sections. You do find yourself walking through streets with houses etc. It would just be a case of choosing your accommodation to fit in with the distance you want to cover. From memory though, it is only about 57k in total.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moocattle » Tue 20 Nov, 2018 6:12 pm

A little bit further away in NSW, but the Coastal walk between Yamba and Red Rock (Yuragir Coastal Walk) is quite ideal for such a venture. Huge swathes of National Park between each town. Could continue on to Coffs Harbour as well (Solitary Islands Coastal Walk). Checked Airbnb a while back for something along those lines and it lined up pretty all right. There's buses between the bigger towns you could line up in order to not car shuffle as well.
Moocattle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lostkiwi » Wed 21 Nov, 2018 2:09 pm

Thank you for the replies.
Moocattle, coincidentally I am doing the Yuraygir Coastal Walk in December!
lostkiwi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland