Esperance Peak

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Esperance Peak

Postby tibboh » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 7:49 pm

Has anyone been to Esperance Peak (near Dover) lately?
I'm curious about the route there and can see three possiblities.
Either walking the ridgeline south from Snowy, walking the ridgeline north from Adamsons or the shortest path about 3km west through the bush past the end of Caseys Rd.
The first two options form part of 'The Southern Sweep' which I read about in Tramp 32. I'm wondering how scrubby the ridgelines would be. The 1:25,000 map doesn't make it look that hard but a second or third opinion would be much appreciated.
A one-way traverse from Hartz/Snowy camping near Esperance then continuing over Adamsons Peak and out looks like a good leg stretch. Is there any permanent water on the traverse, and if yes what is the camping like around Esperance? I read somewhere there is a nice camp site between Adamsons Peak and The Calf? True or false?
Any illuminations would be much appreciated.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Esperance Peak

Postby pazzar » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 9:10 pm

I was part of a large group that went up from a spur off Casey's Rd a few years ago. I can't remember the exact details of how to get there though. Maybe someone else who was on that trip could give you some tips. It took about 6 hours return from memory. There are a few members who have done the traverse from Hartz too.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stu » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 8:34 am

I was also a part of this large group...the quickest / most direct route to be sure.
Apparently the section b/w Snowy & Esperence is very scrubby (scoparia); i'd probably guess fairly dry too.
I have also been to The Calf & Mesa...plenty of camping options around this way but also dry; i'd be carrying plenty of water if doing the traverse.
Having said this, it should really only be a (longish) 2 day trip...would be a good way to do it & a visit to Mesa is worthwhile, the views from the summit offer some very remote vistas :D
Enjoy!
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 2:48 pm

This is where we went from.
Attachments
Esperance.JPG
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tibboh » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 2:14 pm

stu wrote:I was also a part of this large group...the quickest / most direct route to be sure.
Apparently the section b/w Snowy & Esperence is very scrubby (scoparia); i'd probably guess fairly dry too.
I have also been to The Calf & Mesa...plenty of camping options around this way but also dry; i'd be carrying plenty of water if doing the traverse.
Having said this, it should really only be a (longish) 2 day trip...would be a good way to do it & a visit to Mesa is worthwhile, the views from the summit offer some very remote vistas :D
Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice. Maybe the best plan is solid days walk from Snowy along the ridge and camp closer to Adamsons Peak. Seems to be a few creeks just below the ridgeline a kilometer SW of Esperance.
Mesa sounds good although the map looks like half a kilometer or so of scrub to get through. Hope it's worth it.
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 2:20 pm

tibboh wrote:
stu wrote:I
Mesa sounds good although the map looks like half a kilometer or so of scrub to get through. Hope it's worth it.

Rookie error no.1 Dont judge the scrub by what the maps say, they are rarely accurate.... There's 100m or so of scrub under Mesa, but besides that it's all open lovely walking.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tibboh » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 2:28 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
tibboh wrote:
stu wrote:I

Rookie error no.1 Dont judge the scrub by what the maps say, they are rarely accurate.... There's 100m or so of scrub under Mesa, but besides that it's all open lovely walking.

Maybe it was accurate in 1984 when my map was made? 100m sounds better than 500m :D
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 2:30 pm

Doubtful, They tend to just write scrub on the maps in most alpine areas, regardless if it's 6 inches high, or 6 feet high.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tibboh » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 2:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4914&p=58702&hilit=Esperance+Peak#p58702

Found this report which sounds like your trip ILUVSWTAS, Pazzar & Stu.
Nice waterfalls.
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tibboh » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 2:36 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Doubtful, They tend to just write scrub on the maps in most alpine areas, regardless if it's 6 inches high, or 6 feet high.

So does this mean the ridgeline between Snowy and Adamsons is not fairly clear as the map suggests by the lack of any vegetation?
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 2:44 pm

Haven't been along there myself, but i hear it's the less scrubby side. Between Snowy and Esperance is meant to be quite scrubby in places.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 4:13 pm

The scrub up to Mesa depends on the line you take, although the very last ten metres or so of altitude is the worst. And a month or so back there was plenty of water between Mesa and The Calf - pools and soaks on the saddle. There were also pools visible on the ridgeline out to Esperance. I seriously thought about it, but the weather looked like it might stuff up shortly so it was left for another day.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby stepbystep » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 4:16 pm

The views are fabulous.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 4:19 pm

The views from Mesa and The Calf were pretty good, too. I'm fairly satisfied with what I achieved.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 4:25 pm

north-north-west wrote:The views from Mesa and The Calf were pretty good, too. I'm fairly satisfied with what I achieved.

Haha yes indeed! Never been to Mesa so you're one up on me :)
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 5:03 pm

I will enjoy that for the very brief time it lasts.

You can thank Mark for it. I doubted if it was worth it but he insisted it wasn't as scrubby as it looked.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 8:35 am

tibboh wrote:
ILUVSWTAS wrote:Doubtful, They tend to just write scrub on the maps in most alpine areas, regardless if it's 6 inches high, or 6 feet high.

So does this mean the ridgeline between Snowy and Adamsons is not fairly clear as the map suggests by the lack of any vegetation?

Ok did this walk a few weeks ago.... The ridgeline between Adamsons and Esperance is fine. A couple of spots look scrubby, but arent that bad.

The ridgeline between Snowy and Esperance is *&%$#! and should be avoided by anyone who doesnt like consistent head high scrub for 8 hrs straight.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tibboh » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 6:31 pm

Ouch. Well that's saved me a bit of pain......thanks ILUV. Think I'll camp at Adamsons and come in from the south :D
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 6:37 pm

tibboh wrote:Ouch. Well that's saved me a bit of pain......thanks ILUV. Think I'll camp at Adamsons and come in from the south :D

No probs! That would actually be quite pleasant. The camping out there would be nice in the right conditions.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tibboh » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 7:37 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
tibboh wrote:Ouch. Well that's saved me a bit of pain......thanks ILUV. Think I'll camp at Adamsons and come in from the south :D

No probs! That would actually be quite pleasant. The camping out there would be nice in the right conditions.
Any recommendations re campsite at Adamsons?
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby PeterJ » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 10:32 pm

tibboh wrote: Any recommendations re campsite at Adamsons?

You can camp by the little tarn near Esperance Pk, or near a small peak before you descend to the ridge out to EP. Have camped at both spots, but the tarn is the nicest. Also makes It to the half way point.

Peter
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tibboh » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 7:33 am

PeterJ wrote:
tibboh wrote: Any recommendations re campsite at Adamsons?

You can camp by the little tarn near Esperance Pk, or near a small peak before you descend to the ridge out to EP. Have camped at both spots, but the tarn is the nicest. Also makes It to the half way point.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I'd imagine that Esperance then The Calf and Mesa would be a good day walk from this high camp then?
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby PeterJ » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 10:24 am

tibboh wrote:Thanks Peter. I'd imagine that Esperance then The Calf and Mesa would be a good day walk from this high camp then?

If you camp between Mesa and Calf you could do all you mention as a day walk. That seems to assume you are going for 3 days. If only a 2 dayer then I suggest camp at the tarn near Esperance. My notes say
On the low gully south west of the peak there is an excellent flat grassy camping spot and some pools for drinking water (839049)
It took us nearly 9 hours from Hartz and a shade over 7 to go out via Adamsons.
Between Esperance and Calf there an obvious high plateau is followed but you have to skirt around belts of tree and high bushes. We used the eastern ends of the belts in most instances. At the south end of the plateau there is steady climb/deccent to/from near on the western side of The Calf.
This was back in Jan 1993, so conditions may have changed, my notes from the Snowy end say just contour round the plateau area leading off from the Harzt-Snowy saddle. Before long there is tight scrub, but a track takes you through this then once on the level it continues until reaching some open areas. From here on the pad becomes indistinct and it is just a matter of pushing through the waist high scrub until on the slopes of Esperance where it is low alpine vegetation. It seems it may have grown considerably since.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tibboh » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks Peter for such detailed information :D
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Tue 09 Oct, 2018 7:51 am

Anyone been out this way recently? I did have some information RE access from Caseys Road but I seem to have lost it :( Please PM me, Cheers.
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stepbystep » Tue 09 Oct, 2018 2:39 pm

bogholesbuckethats wrote:Anyone been out this way recently? I did have some information RE access from Caseys Road but I seem to have lost it :( Please PM me, Cheers.

FT have been working out that way. Give them a bell re access, if they're not actively logging they will get you a key if gates are locked. We went off a spur rd from Caseys Rd, or maybe Caseys itself. There was no pad of any sort so just get as close as you can and throw yourself at it :) the Hartz-Adamsons traverse is calling me next time ...
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Tue 09 Oct, 2018 3:47 pm

stepbystep wrote:FT have been working out that way. Give them a bell re access, if they're not actively logging they will get you a key if gates are locked. We went off a spur rd from Caseys Rd, or maybe Caseys itself. There was no pad of any sort so just get as close as you can and throw yourself at it :) the Hartz-Adamsons traverse is calling me next time ...

I've been trying to call them all day but no answer, they must have my number on a blacklist :lol:

I have been weighing up just waiting to do it with the traverse, but I like the look of the cliffs from the eastern edge.

Cheers
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 6:00 pm

FYI access is via Casey Road then Casey Spur 7, about 200m up the spur there is old road on the left (blue tape). Someone has been through there recently and taped and partly cleared a route all the way to the plateau.
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats

Postby stepbystep » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 9:00 am

bogholesbuckethats wrote:FYI access is via Casey Road then Casey Spur 7, about 200m up the spur there is old road on the left (blue tape). Someone has been through there recently and taped and partly cleared a route all the way to the plateau.

That's interesting. When we went through there was nothing! There's really no need to be doing that there...I guess you were thankful though!! We found a small waterfall off the cliffs and some nice forest below.
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 9:09 am

stepbystep wrote: That's interesting. When we went through there was nothing! There's really no need to be doing that there...I guess you were thankful though!! We found a small waterfall off the cliffs and some nice forest below.

It was unexpected but It did make the day somewhat easier. The taped track bypasses the cliffs but I did go and check them out and I think I found the small waterfall you mentioned.
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats

Next

Return to Tasmania