Travel pack: Deuter vs Osprey

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Travel pack: Deuter vs Osprey

Postby gbagua » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 8:26 am

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could recommend me either of the two following backpacks:

1. Osprey Xenith 88
2. Deuter Traveller 80+10L

I have tried the first one physically in store and it's quite good but I'm not too familiar with the Deuter one.

Cheers! ;)
gbagua
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Travel pack: Deuter vs Osprey

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 10:08 am

For such a large (potentially heavy load in use), do not buy what you have not tried. If the Osprey felt good, then that's a buy confirmation if there are no others to try and compare.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lord Backcountry » Wed 10 Oct, 2018 1:33 pm

gbagua

I have the Xenith 88 which I use for solo hiking and backcountry skiing/camping.

On the positive side:

. It's big! I have not been able to fill it yet.
. Its very comfortable. The harness system is awesome.
. Lots of external pockets and storage.
. Robust.
. Internal split compartment.
. A detachable waist belt.

On the negative side:

. It's on the exxy side.
. It's on the heavy side.
. It's pretty strappy.
. Straps at the base of the pack where I attach my tent underneath are a bit on the skinny side.
. A few more small secure internal pockets would be nice.

Overall:

I love it, being big and comfortable in carrying heavy loads. The straps do annoy me and I'll trim them when i get the courage. The detachable waist belt seems a gimmock which I would never use; would have prefered a zip-off bag.

Highly recommended for my purpose.

cheers
Lord Backcountry
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby gbagua » Thu 11 Oct, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks guys. LB I appreciate the detailed info. I need to try the Deuter pack, probably go for a drive to Wild Earth in the GC because I use a small Deuter pack (20L) which I find extremely comfortable and sleek. Best small pack I have ever used.
gbagua

Postby gbagua » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 3:49 pm

I might have to drop the size a bit in order to no to pack too much and then having problems with airlines and their luggage eight restrictions.

Wouldn't be 70/75L a better choice? Both Deter and Osprey sell packs with those sizes (Deuter 70+10, Osprey 75).

Any advice, please.
gbagua

Postby Neo » Mon 15 Oct, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi, here is a method to estimate what size backpack is needed. Put all of your gear neatly in a box then measure that to get a volume. Length x breath x height inside the box = cubic centimetres. Then divide by 1000 to get a number in litres.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wayno » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 3:43 am

Deuter, German over engineering.... heavy for what they are
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Chunder fuzz » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:53 am

I have an osprey 70L , their new range looks better. I find it comfortable but it’s strappy as all folk and the removable day pack is a giant bum bag, I’d rather a normal lid. Think it weighs 2.1kg from memory.
Chunder fuzz
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ChrisJHC » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 9:05 am

I also have the Osprey 70L.
I cut off all the straps that I don't think I'll ever need (e.g. the strap for the ice axe).
There are still some clips on there that I have no idea what they are for.

The removable top is okay as a bum bag but once again adds a lot of straps. I think I've only taken it off the main pack once or twice. I don't mind it as a lid but agree that I'd rather have a standard one.
I might have a look if I can remove some of the straps (and weight) from the top as well.

A really comfortable pack and I'm very happy with mine.

Note that, just because you have a large pack, you don't have to fill it!
It sounds like you're looking for a pack for backpacking rather than hiking - if so then the 70/75L range should be good.
ChrisJHC

Region: Victoria

Postby gbagua » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 6:06 am

Neo wrote:Hi, here is a method to estimate what size backpack is needed. Put all of your gear neatly in a box then measure that to get a volume. Length x breath x height inside the box = cubic centimetres. Then divide by 1000 to get a number in litres.

Thanks.

ChrisJHC wrote:It sounds like you're looking for a pack for backpacking rather than hiking

Obviously. The thread title is pretty clear, isn't it? ;)

I'm leaving the country for good so I'm taking all my prioritised possessions with me, so this time I need to be very careful with the pack size bearing in mind strict airline luggage weight limits.

What I like from the Deuter packs is that you can access them like a regular suitcase which for travelling is a real bonus.
gbagua

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 17 Oct, 2018 11:13 am

Does either of them have wheels?
Having traveled around with both rucksacks and travel packs none of which even approached maximum suitcase size my first priority now would be ease of use in an airport environment followed by security of the contents.
Secondly is how comfortable the fulled loaded pack was to carry, 22 kilos is no joke after a long flight and you can take 2 * 22kilos on most international flights. Get an ultra light and collapsible wheeled trolley thingie and make your journey a lot easier.
Secondly get a disposable travel cover for the bags as those straps and stuff are a PITA for the baggage butchers and almost a guarantee of damage, a cardboard box and gaffer tape works
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment