Ben Nevis - Scotland

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Ben Nevis - Scotland

Postby MrFaulty » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 2:31 pm

Hi, I'm about to head over to London to visit the in laws and was wondering if anyone has done Ben Nevis and thinks it is worth the effort - it is basically a three day turn around, 1 day to get from London to Fort William, a day to do the summit, and a day back.

Cheers
Ben
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Ben Nevis - Scotland

Postby bigkev » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 8:31 am

MrFaulty wrote:Hi, I'm about to head over to London to visit the in laws and was wondering if anyone has done Ben Nevis and thinks it is worth the effort - it is basically a three day turn around, 1 day to get from London to Fort William, a day to do the summit, and a day back.

Cheers
Ben

I went up a couple of years ago.

I climbed it via Carn Mor Dearg (which was excellent) and dropped down the Tourist Track (ho hum, but did the job).

I probably wouldn't make the trip from London to Fort William for a day just to climb Ben Nevis though, it's a long way....but then again you did say you were visiting the in laws :wink:

Here's a link with some photo's of the walk https://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot ... tland.html

Cheers
Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby MrFaulty » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks Kev, looks great, although looks like it is out this time as SWMBO has locked in other activities. Guess I'll just have to kill the spare day I have in a pub with a quiet ale

Cheers
Ben
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby durks » Tue 25 Sep, 2018 1:26 am

bigkev wrote:I went up a couple of years ago.

I climbed it via Carn Mor Dearg (which was excellent) and dropped down the Tourist Track (ho hum, but did the job).
Kevin

Just for the record: going up via the Carn Mor Dearg Arete is indeed a good shout. Just flogging up and down the tourist track doesn't do the hill any justice; nor do you get any good views of the North Face.

Another good day out would be go up the Ledge Route on the North Face (just a scramble in Summer - have a look at the climbing guidebook for the location) and then down via the CMD Arete.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Return to International