SIX NSW Maps and Android

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

SIX NSW Maps and Android

Postby ken333 » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 4:17 pm

The SIX NSW maps can be accessed directly by OruxMaps when on-line, and areas selected and downloaded for off-line use.

A new item needs to be added to the file: wms_services.xml in the oruxmaps folder on the Android, in: (USB Drive)\oruxmaps\mapfiles
Connect the Android to a PC, find the file and make a backup copy. Open the file with a text editor, such as Notepad++ (or Notepad - but the file has LF line terminators, so is harder to read with Notepad). Copy and Paste the following into the file below the existing item(s), but before the </wms_services> tag:

<wms>
<name>SIX NSW</name>
<uid>201</uid><!--unique identifier in your database cache; >1000 -->
<desc>SIX WMS NSW Maps</desc>
<url>http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/services/public/NSW_Topo_Map/MapServer/WMSServer?</url>
<minzoomlevel>6</minzoomlevel><!-- 0 to 20 -->
<maxzoomlevel>16</maxzoomlevel><!-- 0 to 20 -->
<version>1.1.1</version><!-- do not change -->
<layers>TopoCurrent</layers>
<coordinatesystem>EPSG:4326</coordinatesystem><!-- do not change -->
<format>image/png</format>
<cache>1</cache><!-- not in use -->
</wms>

Save the file. Disconnect from the PC. Start Oruxmaps with a data connection. Tap the 'Map' symbol at top right. Tap Switch Maps - Online. Tap the Refresh symbol at top centre. Scroll down to WMS and tap it. WMS:SIX NSW should show. Tap it. The SIX map should open.

To download an area of map for off-line use:
Zoom out so you can see all the area you want to download. Tap the Map Symbol at top right. Tap Map Creator. Tap the top left and bottom right corners of the area required. Tap the blue tick. Type in a map name. Tap the resolution required (usually 16 - the max available). Check the map has downloaded correctly.
Tap Map Symbol - Switch Map - Offline. The map should be there. If not, tap the refresh symbol.

The SIX WMS maps can be viewed on a PC browser via the on-line WMS Viewer (no installation required): http://wmsviewer-rodis.rhcloud.com/
Copy - Paste the SIX url into the URL: box: http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/servi ... /WMSServer?
Copy - Paste the Layer into the Layer: box: TopoCurrent

See also my post on QTopo Maps and Android

If you dont want to download and install Notepad++, the wms_services.xml file can be edited in Notepad. It is probably easiest to delete the one Wms item in the original file. It is a set of maps of Spain. Delete everything between and including the <wms> and </wms> tags, leaving 3 tags as below:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><wms_services></wms_services>
Place the cursor between each of the >< and press Enter to force a newline. Then Copy - Paste the SIX NSW item above, between the <wms_services> and </wms_services> tags. Save and disconnect.
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: SIX NSW Maps and Android

Postby Randle » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 11:34 pm

Is there a reason you go the manual route? I just go up to switch maps then Online then WMS and found it easy to enter details.

Still trying to decide if I like orux or locus better. I'm leaning towards locus maps for the ability to overlay maps on each other
Randle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 2:14 am

Randle wrote:Still trying to decide if I like orux or locus better. I'm leaning towards locus maps for the ability to overlay maps on each other

In Orux the overlay button is just to the right of the WMS button.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ken333 » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks Randle. I wasnt aware that it was that easy!
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby joshk » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 11:20 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to follow these instructions but am not having any luck.

After following the instructions and editing the wms_services.xml file, I can now see WMS:SIX NSW in the list of online maps (when I hit the switch map button). However, when I tap the map, it never loads. I can only see refresh circular arrows.

Any suggestions on how I might fix this?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
joshk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ribuck » Thu 17 Aug, 2017 7:13 pm

ken333 wrote:...Connect the Android to a PC, find the file and make a backup copy. Open the file with a text editor, such as Notepad++ ... Save the file. Disconnect from the PC ...

Incidentally, I avoid that fiddle by editing the file directly on my phone, using an excellent text editor app called TED. It's free, open source, and ad-free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... itor&hl=en

PS: Sorry Josh, I don't know what to suggest for your problem.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby potato » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:15 am

Is there a WMS service for Victoria?
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby tastrax » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 1:22 pm

potato wrote:Is there a WMS service for Victoria?

Not that I know of. There is an API if you are into that sort of thing

http://api.maps.vic.gov.au/
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby ribuck » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 6:39 pm

joshk wrote:After following the instructions and editing the wms_services.xml file, I can now see WMS:SIX NSW in the list of online maps (when I hit the switch map button). However, when I tap the map, it never loads. I can only see refresh circular arrows.

I can reproduce this several ways. Perhaps one of these explains your situation.

1. Are you connected to WiFi and is it working normally?
2. Before you switch to the SIX NSW map, is Orux Maps already displaying somewhere that is within NSW?
3. Are you at a zoom level no greater than 16?
4. Is the SIX NSW map server particularly slow? (normally it's pretty good)
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ken333 » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 5:48 pm

potato wrote:Is there a WMS service for Victoria?

There is a Vic WMS map server. It is more complicated than the other states, with more than 1000 layers to choose from. See
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23800#p306861

The online WMS viewer has changed to a new one at
https://wms-viewer-online.appspot.com

The original wmsviewer-rodis link still works. it diverts automatically.
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ken333 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 2:59 pm

Adding the NSW SIX wms data to the wms_services.xml file, as shown in the first post, no longer works in Oruxmaps (Ver 7.3.2). Either copy-paste the url using the manual Add WMS Service, or, if the file is already in Oruxmaps, Long-Press the NSW SIX Wms button, and tap edit. Then select the layer shown, give it a different name, and tap the tick to save it. Tap Refresh.
Or, to enter the WMS data manually, tap the Map icon at top right (wobbly square grid), then tap Switch map - ONLINE. Tap + and WMS (ONLINE). Paste the Url into the Url box. Dont paste the http:// prefix. Dont tap the https:// box. Tap ok. Select the layer shown. Type in zoom range 6 to 16. Select Cache and Downloadable. Give it a name, eg NSW SIX, and save. Tap the Refresh icon (circular arrows). To see the maps, you may need to move the map location to somewhere in NSW. Tap the Map icon - Switch map - ONLINE - WMS. If the NSW SIX map is not there, tap Refresh again.
Last edited by ken333 on Wed 15 Aug, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Neo » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 7:14 pm

Slightly within topic, I have a free Avenza app. Have downloaded a bunch so far from six maps topo. I open them with Avenza, which only allows 3 working maps for the free version. Can still load the other maps just to look at, same as a PDF app.

Scored a second Android phone which will be my bushwalk and GPS phone. So will pay the $40/yr for Avenza and load as many of my own maps as I like on it. A little fiddley moving between download folder to the app and folders.

Yet to use Avenza in the field but know a couple of people that use it. Works on the GPS feature in flight mode.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby prawn » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 12:22 am

Just adding here that SIXmaps also provides the topo data through WMTS. This is much the same as WMS except the image has been split up into prerendered tiles on the server side. This will make the topo map much faster to load in Oruxmaps, and much easier to pan across different areas. The process for adding the layer is much the same as ken333 outlined for adding a WMS layer, except instead of tapping WMS (ONLINE) you tap WMTS (ONLINE). Then paste in the following url:
maps.six.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/public/NSW_Topo_Map/MapServer/WMTS/1.0.0/WMTSCapabilities.xml

Select the layer that pops up, give the map a name and you're done.
prawn
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ribuck » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 10:34 pm

To use Australian grid references with OruxMaps, do the following:

Maps menu -> Map Tweaks -> Map Datum -> select "WGS 1984:Global Definition"
"Australian Geodetic 1984" is also available, but the global datum is near enough.
(To work with old maps, you can set it to "Australian Geodetic 1966".)

Global Settings -> Units -> Coordinates -> set to "UTM"

Now, whenever you are viewing a map that doesn't include grid lines, you can do this:
Maps menu -> Overlay Options -> select "Show/hide UTM Grid"

I like to have it set up so that the grid reference of the centre point of the map is always displayed:
Global Settings -> User Interface -> Dashboard -> Dashboard controls -> select "Coordinates"
This will show you the full grid reference to the nearest metre. Bushwalkers have been accustomed to giving six-digit 100 metre grid references, so just ignore the last two digits of the eastings and northings, then take the next three digits of each. For example, 56H 309336 6244903 becomes 093449.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble