Timealong Trail

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Timealong Trail

Postby Hughmac » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 9:21 pm

Wandered down Timealong Trail today to investigate an old logging road clearly visible on the Six Maps satellite imagery on the next ridge over from the end of the track. The track was as accessible as I've ever known it, which was a pleasant surprise. I skirted the cove at the end of the trail, where the old road disappears into Lake Yarrunga, with the intention of climbing straight up the next point, however there was a fairly new piece of pink marker tape obvious near the lakeside, which led to a series of markers going straight up the hill to the old road I was looking for. I followed the road down the hill until it became obvious that it was going to disappear back into the lake, where it must have originally intersected the old road.
Turning around I followed the road back up the hill, where it clearly continued well past the last point visible on Six Map, so I decided to see just where it would take me. The road became quite difficult to follow in places, but the marker tape continued in the more cryptic locations. After a while it became apparent that it was going to link up with the old logging roads back towards Griffins Fire Trail. At this point I also realised it was a circuit that was shown on the 2nd series of NSW topos, but had disappeared off the next series. I had attempted to locate this track from the opposite end previously, and had got as far as the remains of an old farm with the biggest assemblage of stinging trees I've ever seen, where the signs of the old road disappeared. Sure enough the track/markers I was following eventually brought me to the same spot. From here the the old road back to Timealong trail is reasonably obvious, and I just followed it back down the hill. There is actually a network of old logging tracks in the forest above the trail, but despite walking most of them them I'm still not sure how they all connect. Very satisfying day out, and I picked up a nice little bottle in a creek bed behind the old farm as a souvenir.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Timealong Trail

Postby johnw » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 10:15 pm

Nice work, I need to revisit this lovely area. Haven't been there for ages. I attempted that same loop years ago now, coming via the northern access, and had my only ever brush with a stinging tree at what sounds like the same spot. Although it seems there may be more of them now. I was wearing shorts at the time, and I saw stars shortly after my leg brushed against the small seedling below without realising what it was. I tapped out immediately :shock:. Back then I asked NPWS about the status of that track and they suggested it should be removed from the map. Looks like they got their way. I've been meaning to return and try and complete the circuit, if only to get my revenge on the stinging tree. If you don't already have it, the walk is documented in Robert Sloss' guidebook for the area as "Running Dog Track", including a sketch map.
Stinging tree near Lake Yarrunga.jpg
Stinging tree near Lake Yarrunga
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hughmac » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 6:14 pm

I think the party responsible for the marker tape may have shared your pain. One of the markers led straight through one.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 6:45 pm

Great day out for you there Hugh. That area doesn't look much size wise on the maps but lots of possibilities once you're in there amongst it.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 11:40 am

Hard to credit now that the first road from the Southern Highlands to the South Coast went that way. Built about 1896. Some great stone work. A good summer circuit can be completed by swimming across the lake and picking up the track to Griffins Farm from Beehive Pt. on the other side.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hughmac » Tue 26 Jun, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi Kanangra. Impressive piece of engineering history, isn't it? I noticed '1888' carved into one of the rock walls halfway down the trail the previous time I was down there. Have you seen the names carved into the rock beside Griffins a little before Gales Flat? From the 1850's if memory serves.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 11:47 am

No I haven't I must keep a look out for that next time. Have you seen the old photos of Griffens farm? I think that are available on the net. Incredible to compare with the overgrown remains you see now. I still think the NP should have some info board there to make people aware of the history of the area.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hughmac » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 7:12 pm

Just before the last slope leading to Gales Flat on the way down Griffins there's a small swamp on the right with three palm trees behind it. Just after the swamp is a patch of forest with a large mossy rock just above the road which is engraved with the names of a number of people. If you wander into there forest here it becomes obvious that it was inhabited by people at some point in the distant past.
Haven't seen the photos, but will have a look for them when I finish here. If you're there in spring there are some lovely old style daffodils right beside the front steps. I always find it a melancholy spot, knowing that a family worked so hard to build a life there but eventually had to walk away. There are also more logging tracks right opposite the old house site, up the hill past the old reservoir.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Thu 28 Jun, 2018 2:47 pm

No exactly what you mean. When you see the old photos of the family and the once extensive house and farm yards they had there you will be even more melancholy. a large family was raised there. I wish I was clever enough to post link. No doubt somebody will?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Thu 28 Jun, 2018 2:50 pm

Just type in Clyde Griffin and it all comes up complete with old time music. Wonderful B&W photo of the family outside the house from 1952. Clyde lived from 1913 to 1991.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Wollemi » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 9:28 am

Related; in the mid-90's, I cycled on three occasions with others from Moss Vale station down to Lake Yurrunga, floating our MTBs on lilos to camp at Bee Hive Point prior to walking our bikes uphill on Sunday and out to Bomaderry via Mt Scanzi.

Initially we would take the left pedal off, and the front wheel - which would be hooked over the handlebar ends; later we didn't bother - the entire bicycle stayed intact. The two pannier bags with camping gear would just be laid on top.
Everybody simply swam alongside their li-los, which were dried out around the campfire to sleep on. The ending of the rail-motor to Goulburn - with a baggage carriage ended this fun; the Endeavour trains were introduced, complete with a silly rule of three bicycles or three surfboards per train.

Sorry for this thread hijack... I have enjoyed all the posts here.
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 03 Jul, 2018 11:36 am

Now that is an adventure. Ah what we did when we were young......

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes