Low Carb Menu?

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Low Carb Menu?

Postby Orion » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:00 am

gayet wrote:If you like rice, cook extra at home next time and dehydrate it. It returns well and with less fuss than cooking in the field. Dehydrate a variety of rices (short, long, white, brown, black, red) and you have a variety of meals, both in look and taste - helps to cook it in something more interesting than just salted water first though ....

I've done that in the past and it's worked okay. It does accelerate cooking time (it's already cooked) but I found that it still takes some time to rehydrate. And the dehydrated rice is a lot bulkier. I might still do make and dehydrate some though.

The tortilla option doesn't sound bad. Heavier though.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Orion » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:03 am

ribuck wrote:
Orion wrote:I was kind of hoping that the cauliflower rice would work as a base for a green chili and beans recipe that I often make.

Why not simply omit the rice and make more of the chili and beans?

Because I like starchy carbohydrates. I consider that an integral part of almost every meal. If I had to choose between one or the other I would eat the rice and omit the chili.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 12:11 am

Lamont wrote:"Two-thirds of Australians are overweight or obese and the prevalence of type 2 diabetes is rising at an alarming rate. We undertook one of the largest and most complex diet and lifestyle intervention studies in Australia and in 2017 used the data to create the CSIRO Low-Carb Diet to help Aussies (sic) battling this disease.
Rigorous scientific evidence shows our nutritionally balanced diet is not only effective in promoting substantial long-term weight loss but it also helps to improve blood glucose control and blood cholesterol profile (this is really important for treating insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes!)."... https://blog.csiro.au/damn-thats-delici ... -cook-ups/

A low carb, specifically ketogenic, diet has been used for many years to treat a specific type of epilepsy as well. Just recently they discovered that the diet promotes a particular gut flora that affects certain amino acids that in turn affect brain metabolism.

Blurb from Science magazine wrote:A high-fat and low-carbohydrate, or ketogenic, diet is used to treat children with refractory epilepsy. Olson et al. show that the ketogenic diet enriches populations of the gut commensal bacteria Akkermansia muciniphila and Parabacteroides spp. The presence of these species appears to protect against induced epileptic seizures in mice, even in those on a nonketogenic diet. Together, these bacteria alter the profile of circulating metabolites, which subsequently modulates metabolism in the brain. Specifically, reduction in γ-glutamylation of circulating amino acids and elevated hippocampal GABA (γ-aminobutyric acid)/glutamate are associated with seizure protection in mice.

Cell 10.1016/j.cell.2018.04.027 (2018).

But there still isn't enough information to recommend the diet across the board. There could be significant long term consequences to the consumption of so much fat. Time will tell.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 5:32 am

The CSIRO info I linked was not a high fat diet. It doesn't say it is. It is low carbobydrate and balanced.Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Orion » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:29 am

Okay, I see. 6000kJ. It's a low calorie weight loss diet.

I couldn't find any details about the nutritional breakdown but the "Portable Lunch" tuna avocado dish works out to roughly 38% / 51% / 11% (fat/protein/carbohydrate). Even at 6000kJ that's a lot of protein. So the word "balanced" is kind of meaningless in a way. Balanced to what standard?

The bottom line is our health. What diet is optimal? I don't know. I don't think anybody really knows.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 1:35 pm

Some of the recipes could easily be lower in carbs Taking out the obvious carb rich ingredients, i'm thinking, would be a good start for a bushwalkers higher calorie needs. And i'm not convinced personally by the cheese bacon and processed meats.

It would be good to see nutritional info.
With 60% of aussies overweight i'm thinking it's at least a modern take on a national diet.. and a diet.

Thanks Lamont.

Anyone dried avocado? Carrying tips? (I'd imagine it would be a challenge) https://www.goodfruitandvegetables.com. ... nd-tested/
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lamont » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 3:21 pm

G'day Nuts, sorry,
you have to get (buy) the book which has all the nutritional info. The link provides a taster(?) budda bing.
I didn't see any reference to processed meats? Where was that? Have you already bought the book?
Someone on here or redditUL that I read in the last few weeks, had something to do with avacado-just can't remember where I came across it.
Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 6:21 pm

Yeah, it has measurements in units.. which I guess is better in their context. I'm mostly generalizing, for all the great looking meals iv'e seen over the past weeks lots of people do seem to rely on cheese/dairy and processed meats.. and for the healthy look, hide what seem like unnecessary carbs etc (moreso without the nutritional listings). The CSIRO diet looks great.. I just had in mind that to translate to a dried/bushwalker type menu it may be better to look more at not adding high carb ingredients as well.. to get enough bulk for the average walker (and their diet does include a lot of breads/cereals/dairy).. (hence mentioning eg. coco flour as an alternate base 'flour-type' ingredient..)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 6:27 pm

Nuts wrote:Anyone dried avocado? Carrying tips?

Anything super high in fat is obviously hard to dehydrate, there's some industrial methods that allow the manufacture of things like cream powder, but I haven't found a way to do it at home. The second issue is that fats can go rancid quickly stored at room temp, even once you do dehydrate whatever else is in it. If anyone knows how to overcome these issues I'd love to hear it.

On the plus side, because fresh avocado is so high in fat (and calories) it's calorie to weight ratio still looks good compared to dehydrated starches.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:28 am

I dehydrate oily items. That chili recipe I mentioned has plenty of olive oil in it and the resultant dehydrated form is, well, oily. That's okay. It won't keep at room temperature indefinitely but it holds up surprisingly well (weeks at room temperature) and rehydrates perfectly, as good as the original.

Despite the high fat content a fresh avocado is quite heavy for the number of calories one contains (less than 5kJ/g). The skin and pit comprise about 30% of the weight. The flesh is about 70% water. Fresh avocado flesh is roughly 7kJ/g. But dehydrated you'd end up with something around 25kJ/g.

I take an avocado sometimes as a treat for the first night. I've never tried to dehydrate one; I'd worry the texture would be ruined. Maybe the safest approach would be to make a guacamole and dehydrate that since texture then wouldn't be as crucial. It could work. I'd try it but then I'd need to carry tortilla chips and beer.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Avocado unless its fresh and just ripe. It's a good food source though.
Yesterday it dawned on me that Avo would be a good candidate for the microwave.
This is half an avo, squashed, given 20mins. As is, it's very much like corn crispbread, despite how it looks, is dry to crumble, a bit oily. Delicious! :wink:

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 2.16.35 pm.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 2.16.35 pm.png (536.63 KiB) Viewed 48933 times
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Fri 22 Jun, 2018 3:47 pm

You beauty-this must be the first microwaved avocado review I have read.
Wish I had a microwave so I could try it for myself.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jobell » Sat 23 Jun, 2018 11:05 pm

I dehydrate both salmon and tuna which are fatty/oily fish. They dehydrate beautifully and keep really well (14 months!) vacuum packed with a tiny silica moisture absorbing sachet. I use tinned fish but choose the ones tinned in water not added oil.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Nuts » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 3:28 pm

I've not tried fish (or many meats in fact). Do you eat the fish dry jobell or re-hydrate?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 5:42 pm

Smoked salmon can be made into a wonderful jerky. Never tried rehydrating it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Orion » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 6:40 pm

I read about microwaving avocado on somebody's blog. That guy said the texture was nice and crisp but that a bitter aftertaste marred the result. I trusr that wasn't the case for Nuts. Perhaps the other guy overheated the avocado.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Orion » Sun 24 Jun, 2018 6:46 pm

I dehydrated some salmon last year. It's broken up to crumb size. It tastes great but nothing I've tried has succeeded in rehydrating it. Tasty but permanently chewy.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 25 Jun, 2018 6:42 pm

Wouldn't say bitter. A bit 'Rich' perhaps. I'd even describe the taste like corn bread. I'm not sure how it would fit in.. fit in to a 'menu' at least.. a bit like dried fish/ smoked salmon, a chowder maybe?

'Superfoods' each alone I guess, A simple menu, a bag of jerkied snacks? :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dagsands » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks for the cauliflower rice suggestion. My partner has just embarked on quite an extreme diet and is convinced he will be on it forever, and is so limited on what he can eat. He can eat cauliflower and legumes and green veg, so that's what I'll be dehydrating for him for our next walks. Just between you me and the lamp post I give him a month, maybe 2, before he goes into a steak eating frenzy, bless him.
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate
Region: New South Wales

Postby cams » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 4:08 pm

Bit late to the party on this thread, but my wife and I are about to do our first multiday walk on a keto diet. It has been interesting trying to figure out what the menu is going to look like. Some of it is pretty much the same as it has always been. Salami, cheese, nuts (mainly macadamia's and almonds).

Otherwise, Peanut butter sachets. Backcountry mince and scrambled eggs. Campers Pantry veggie's. Ashgrove Cheese now make these awesome things called Amazeballs which have a similar texture to Twisties, but are pure cheese. Probably some jerky. But we're probably also going to need to just take a bottle of olive oil to increase the fat in most meals. Maybe some boiled eggs and even some bacon for the first day or two. Wish I could find powdered heavy cream in Australia.

With regards to noodle substitutes. You can get Super Low Cal Noodles from Woolies made by Chang's. They are made of Konjac root. There are some other brands that make various pasta shaped things out of it too. It is a bit smelly out of the packet, but you rinse them and once in a dish with sauce have a pretty satisfying texture. Also rice: https://www.lowcarbemporium.com.au/coll ... odles-rice
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 6:35 pm

Nice find with the Ashgrove snacks, can't wait to track them down ! Where did you find the peanut butter sachets ?

I can order heavy cream powder, but it's a 25kg bag. I'll try again soon and see if anyone else can get it.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 7:27 pm

Nuts wrote:Yesterday it dawned on me that Avo would be a good candidate for the microwave.
This is half an avo, squashed, given 20mins.

Hey Nuts,
Sounds interesting. What power level did you use?
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Mon 20 Aug, 2018 8:18 pm

CasualNerd wrote:Nice find with the Ashgrove snacks, can't wait to track them down ! Where did you find the peanut butter sachets ?

I can order heavy cream powder, but it's a 25kg bag. I'll try again soon and see if anyone else can get it.

Hill Street Grocer stock the Ashgrove snacks in Hobart. Otherwise you can buy direct online. I ordered peanut butter sachets direct from Pic’s. I think they have a warehouse in Australia now.

Also just ordered the mix pack of these snacks: https://www.vitawerx.com/shopcoatedtreats/

Probably a bit high in protein. But should be good to break up the salty stuff. Sweetened with Xylitol.
cams

Postby Nuts » Tue 21 Aug, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks Cam (ongoing for me so never too late). That store is a good resource.

The Konjac root noodles look like something we could use. Iv'e been trying/testing a few meals personally. It seems the challenge is to get low carb/keto levels without giving oneself a heart attack on the tasty, familiar ingredients.

I have seen cream powder on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/WillPowder-Heavy ... B00250UD1Y ) Something a bit unsettling in needing to order powdered cream from OS, as part of a healthy diet. I might get some to try or experiment with home made on that one.

Tortoise, I just used the defrost setting.

(PS. The amazeballs are also on that site too: https://www.lowcarbemporium.com.au/collections/savoury )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Fri 24 Aug, 2018 4:41 pm

A relevant discussion going on here (at varied levels): https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... /#comments
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 12:49 pm

Nuts wrote:A relevant discussion going on here (at varied levels): https://backpackinglight.com/forums/top ... /#comments

Nice one. I'll read more later, but got the link to Packit Gormet from that thread. They have a great selection of stuff including powdered butter. https://www.packitgourmet.com/ButterPowder.html

Shipping is expensive though.

I also found Next Mile meals in the USA. They are doing keto freeze dried meals. I enquired about shipping to Australia and they said not yet. https://www.nextmilemeals.com/shop/ They also have a blog with some good info.

This was another good blog post I found and used some of the links to try and estimate the macros I'd need. So I could try and figure out how much food to actually take. https://alpinescience.com/keto-backpacking/

As it has turned out we can't do our planned overland walk next week because of pet health issues. At least we've done a lot of the planning for future walks now.
cams

Postby Nuts » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 7:57 pm

I expect the butter and cream really do need snap freeze/drying (?). They'd be a good boost. I was buying eggs-ovaeasy from the US, which are the 'ducks guts' of egg powders. Much rather just buy locally, if not make. The transport seems silly/wasteful but there were also customs dramas involved. I'm sure there'll be a market here soon enough, especially for freeze dried fats, the very things that are difficult to dehydrate (though Avocado/oil does seem to hold up well through the microwave).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 10:00 pm

Nuts wrote:I expect the butter and cream really do need snap freeze/drying (?). They'd be a good boost. I was buying eggs-ovaeasy from the US, which are the 'ducks guts' of egg powders. Much rather just buy locally, if not make. The transport seems silly/wasteful but there were also customs dramas involved. I'm sure there'll be a market here soon enough, especially for freeze dried fats, the very things that are difficult to dehydrate (though Avocado/oil does seem to hold up well through the microwave).

I had a read about this, they "spray dry" the butter or cream by spraying the liquid onto dried milk powder which absorbs the liquid and stays a powder, which I imagine is dried a second time.

There's similar methods of making powders with maltodextrin but they're not low carb. If someone has the time a little experimentation should be in order ;)
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:13 am

I did get some powdered MCT oil from iherb. I had hoped that it might do something similar in coffee as the powdered cream. Didn't really like the result. It is also not actually very high in fat. It is nearly 50% fibre. I wondered whether this was required as part of the drying process too.
cams

Postby Kitzy » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:59 am

I've been dehydrating cauliflower puree for quite a while, I'll add some pre grated parmesan and a bit of butter as its rehydrating and have it for breakfast. Keeps me full for hours and the cheese disguises the flavor a bit (I like cauli though)
Kitzy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

PreviousNext

Return to Bush Tucker