Interest in hoodless sleeping bags?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Interest in hoodless sleeping bags?

Postby tom_b » Thu 08 Feb, 2018 9:28 am

I can certainly 'weigh' in on the 1//2 length bag discussion here. I used one made by Mike for 50 days walking the South Island of the TA. After much debate and discussion Mike and I settled on 140cm for the length and for me at 175cm I find it is perfect. I wouldn't want it much shorter definitely. In terms of weight saving I think there is a significant benefit, but only when temperatures are mild (this was a +4C bag).

I paired it with a Montbell Down Jacket (1000 Plasma one) and then layered a wind vest on top of that also. It kept me warm in NZ. I could tell if it was any colder it would have not been sufficient but in that situation it worked well.

I can also certainly say I like the hoodless mummy style being a massive fan of my -12C Zpacks one, and am in the process of discussing with Mike a 0C one right now!!!
tom_b
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby jobell » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi Mike. PM sent. I love my quilt but need something with a back on it for my upcoming mischief making. Count me in as very interested...Cheers Joanne

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby slparker » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 10:22 pm

I think that you would need to demonstrate that a hoodless sleeping bag was warmer, more comfortable, or both, over a quilt to make it a viable proposition.
I just don't know that it has any advantages over a quilt and, if it did, any advantages over a hooded sleeping bag.
It seems to me like a zipped quilt. Same as an unzipped quilt except with more blanket to reach under the body. Why not add that extra weight as extra fill if the quilt is so inadequate as to require an extension under the body?
I suppose i dont get the concept as a quilt is perfectly adequate as an insulating sleeping layer and, if it wasn't, the answer is either more fill or draft tubes- not a redundant underlayer that gets compressed.
My opinion is that a detachable hood with draft collar for a quilt is a better option, for extra warmth, than a zip up quilt - which provides no discernable advantage over a standard quilt or a trad sleeping bag.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jobell » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 9:24 am

I for one think the benefit is for restless sleepers like me. My quilt is great but in really cold weather I end up having to retuck every time I turn as cold air sneaks in and steals my warmth. If I slept flat on my back all night (I wish) the quilt would remain my preference.

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jobell » Thu 03 May, 2018 7:52 pm

Look what came in the mail today! Thank you very much Mike. Image

jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Petew » Mon 13 May, 2019 6:36 pm

That looks toasty! What spec did you go for?
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Equipment