One week to go - critique my gear!

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

One week to go - critique my gear!

Postby Joel1982 » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi all. After almost of a year of planning and preparing, I'm off on my first go at this track in early March.

8 days, Solo, not my first time on overnighters but its been a while and this will be my longest by far.

Please rate my gear! Feel free to critique and give me ideas on what I don't need or have forgotten. But also please note that I can't go out and get new, lighter, better gear (time and $$$ constraints) i.e. my sleeping bag.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=47191

TIA
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: One week to go - critique my gear!

Postby crollsurf » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Joel,

Big adventure, I'd dump the gaiters, thongs, the base layers, the camera and batteries(I'm guessing by the camera you can use your phone instead), Day pack, dry bags (use 1 garbage bag), shorts, fleece shirt, footprint (Hubba floor I believe is good enough) and leave the sleeping bag liner at home as well.
I'd swap out the bottles and buy a couple of $1 soda water bottles from the supermarket.
Make sure you have some Vaseline, especially if you're wearing cotton undies. Get some merino undies (icebreakers etc) if the budget can stretch that far.

The pack and bag are weight killers but you already know that. It's not like you'll be in a hurry, I hope not anyway.

Enjoy
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigwallclimber » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 7:36 am

HI There Joel,

Did the overland track in January and you will love it, the weather has not been the best of late so it could get wet lol. I am assuming by your gear list cold weather clothing wise you feel the cold ?

1. I would keep the gaiters personally, you are not carrying them just wearing and they are great value when it comes to the track and protect the lower legs. My partner walked the track with me in January for the first time ever and her longest hike in her life and they are one item she would ALWAYS pack as they protected her legs,
2. I would dump the stainless steel mug and just get a GSI lightweight mug ($10) if you can from Ray''s outdoors they are super light and double as a bowl as well,
3. Water container wise just need two cycling bidons or as Crollsurk said just a couple of water bottles there is plenty of water on the track,
4. Dump the zip ties no need for them unless you are carrying an old pack and you feel repairs would be mandatory but the duct tape will work as well,
5. If you are going to dry bag all contents in groups then dump the pack liner all together. I only ever pack all my items into drybags as it is easier for me to group items and reduces the risk,
6. Personally I never carry rain pants, I have good quality gaiters and a very high quality rain jacket when combined there is only a little big of legs exposed and that has never worried me but this is MY opinion,
7. I believe you could dump either the vest, fleece shirt or merino jumper if you do not get super cold, I don't feel the cold very much and that would be way too much for me,
8. Fuel wise based on your cooking time, I use 36gms of shellite a day for two people using an MSR XGK EX stove (Coffee, Lunch,Dinner and water boiling). Based on your weight of shellite have you got enough ? I would think you would be on the side of no,
9. I agree dump the camera and use your phone,
10. Batteries, you have 6 headlamp batteries. If you are using a Petzl or BD headlamp it is unlikely you would burn through those batteries over 8 days unless you will be walking by night every night for 4 hours,
11. Pack your thongs, they are great for the end of the day for lazing around the tent or doing chores. Lets your feet air and keeps them healthy during the walk (One of my must pack items every time),
12. Ditch the cotton undies and go for a better quality (If you can afford), you DO NOT want chaffing it is a killer otherwise I use cycling chamois cream it is awesome and invaluable,
13. Personally I would dump the footprint if you plan to always camp on the platforms or the ground, I used MSR tents in Cameroon for 6 months on the ground every night and never got a hole EVER,
14. I would dump the sleeping bag liner as well personally however some prefer them,

Out of interest what food are you taking ? Based on what I take on my walks my food is generally broken down into the following weights for TWO people (Carry very similar every time Average weights), Breakfast 130gms, Lollies 120gms, Walking snacks day 140gms, Afternoon snack 150gms (Freeze dried) and dinner 300gms. For you alone that is a lot of food lol. I never go hungry and wanting more I always generally bring stuff back but then again I am not a huge eater.

Just food for thought.

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby warnabrother » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:30 am

Quite a few things there that I would change.. but it's getting late in the day.. but for future reference.. such as pack, bag etc..

Lose the Whisperlite.. that is well over 1kg just on the stove and fuel.. get a cheap canister stove
Leave the deo at home.. sweat and deo are worse than sweat alone :0
Too many warm clothing items IMO
Leave the cotton liner
as above.. lose the water bottle and platypus - No water filter ???
Charger wall unit - what is this for
What is the passport for ?
The daypack is way too heavy
No need for the MSR footprint - a sheet of builders plastic is more than enough
That sleeping bag !! But we have spoken about this before

and then as others have said above regarding camera etc..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SergeantMcFly » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:42 am

Aside from the other comments here (+1 for gaiters) addressing areas to cut, I'll throw out what seems to be an unpopular opinion here, but if you plan on taking photos and want more creativity/higher quality (not sure what your phone is), keep the camera, after all, thats why we buy them!
SergeantMcFly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 10:04 am

Electricals;

You will not need spare AAA batteries for the headlamp - just put in new lithium AAA and go.

You will not need the phone charger. Turn the phone OFF for the trip and it will be fine.
I'm thinking of taking a spare phone battery, no power bank. That is lighter and should do.

Clothing;
Delete singlet and down vest.

Others;
1l macpac bottle .. 156g! A 1l plastic milk bottle is ~41g ... lots lighter and cheaper.

Sleeping bag... 2kg! Rent one down there .. think they are ~1.4kg.

Toilet paper .. 6g per day * 8 days = 48g .. say 54g .. half the weight.
Separate out 10 sheets for each day into a ziplock bag with your trowel.
You do this each day - that way you only use 10 sheets per day.
Ok you might put in an emergency 10 sheets .. and try not to use them.

Err .. gets into replacing stuff ...
Daypack .. a S2S ultrasil daypack is 67g

towel a S2S drylite small 62g

Savings .. ~1734 grams

Passport? If your from overseas then yes .. for any possible medical evacuation you do want that with you - keep it in your daypack. If your Australian .. leave it at home.

Food... should be possible with 700 grams per day.

----------------
I'll be heavier on camera gear though .. :( Tripod + remote shutter release + heavier camera.

At one week to go .. far too late. Have a good trip.
Once you have completed this trip you might consider changing some gear for the next one.

I should put my gear up too... still in the humming and arring stages.

My guide: Spend no more than $1 per gram saved.
Last edited by Warin on Tue 27 Feb, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby warnabrother » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 11:07 am

just for reference Joel
I did a quick calculation on the gear I'm taking in a few weeks and including food, water basically everything.. I'm coming in at just under 12kg.. you are nearly double !
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 11:52 am

Yeah I agree with SergeantMcFly - But I'm not sure you should listen to me, I'm likely to take closer to 2-3kg of camera weight when I eventually get to the overland. A G15 will murder any phone for quality, and shoots RAW. All depends on your priorities. I have an RX100 mkIII which I sometimes take if I know their is unlikely to be any great photo opportunities, and that's my compromise.

But wow, get that sleeping bag weight down if you can. As Warin suggested, rent/borrow one if you can.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 12:23 pm

warnabrother wrote:just for reference Joel
I did a quick calculation on the gear I'm taking in a few weeks and including food, water basically everything.. I'm coming in at just under 12kg.. you are nearly double !

I'd be interested to see that ...

Dexter wrote:Yeah I agree with SergeantMcFly - But I'm not sure you should listen to me, I'm likely to take closer to 2-3kg of camera weight

I'm probably 1.5kg ... umm no closer to 1.2kg. A panasonic FZ200 588 grams as a compromise between weight and performance. Add batteries, cards, filters, tripod, water resistant bags ... ~1.2kg. If I wanted to go DSLR I'd go for a medium format .. say 5kg weight there :shock:
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby warnabrother » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 3:01 pm

Warin wrote: I'd be interested to see that ...

there is nothing really "special" about my setup..
I walk in the same clothes every day - running shorts base layer tights, base layer top and long sleeve shirt

Exos 48 - just under 1kg after some trimming
Hubba Hubba (shared between two) or BA Fly Creek UL1 if just me - so this trip tent and inner - 1kg
STS Ultralight insulated 480g
Enlightened Equipment Quilt 570g
Soto Windmaster - 80g
Toaks Titanium Pot - 90g
STS alloy spork - 10g
Set of thermals to sleep in hang around camp in 350g
OR Helium2 Jacket and pants - 200g + 160g
Uberlight Puffy - 250g
Fleece -300g
wool balaclava that is also my beanie - never really weighed it.. think couple 100g
RAB Gloves - 120g
Spare undies x 1 never really weighed them
Spare socks x2 never really weighed them
Sawyer mini filter and 2x smart water bottles 100g + 2kg
headlamp - BD cosmo 80g
toilet paper - never really weighed it
Gopro is on my trekking pole - spare battery in pack
First aid kit inc. drugs - 200g MAX - never really weighed it
Food for 6 days - 3kg - 4kg - oats with goji berry and banana chips for breakfast, mountain bread with PB&J or tuna sachets or salami/cheese for lunch and strive/campers pantry dinner - nut mix and clif bars for snacks
and then lets allow 1kg for extras I've not weighed or allowed for which is a lot..

So including 4kg for food - that is 12.09kg..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 3:12 pm

Warin wrote:I'm probably 1.5kg ... umm no closer to 1.2kg. A panasonic FZ200 588 grams as a compromise between weight and performance. Add batteries, cards, filters, tripod, water resistant bags ... ~1.2kg. If I wanted to go DSLR I'd go for a medium format .. say 5kg weight there :shock:

A mate of mine attempted to take his large format film camera. Gave up on that somewhere along the track and had someone pick it up haha. My DSLR is a 1Dx, so body and lens alone is just over 2kg. Not exactly a landscape camera, but still does a decent job. I bought it back when I was doing a mixture of sports and weddings, and now I no longer freelance. All the camera gear I use is provided by work. I have a Benro carbon fiber travel angel tripod, which is nice and light... but it all ads up to a lot of weight. I'm a firm believer that there's no substitute for physical sensor size/photosites... I find it really hard to compromise and take my point and shoot instead of my decent camera. I usually just tell myself to man up and take the proper gear.

Sorry for the off topic...
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 3:54 pm

I have started a list for 'my' OT .. not complete and rough as yet.

https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=47232

Around 10 kg base now .. but I have left some things out .. a spoon for one. :lol:
Not put any food up there yet .. that gets a bit complex but breakfast, lunch and snacks are easy.
Oh and left out the gas too .. need to do some consumption tests.

What 'we' take is a compromise ... comfort in terms of walking weight and comfort in terms of camping comfort.

And then the camera ... chose the FZ200 for its lens capability (f2.8 all over) and weight.
I have destroyed a few SLRs with dust and vibration .. and I don't like the size and weight to get from 30 (landscapes) to 600 mm (wildlife).
Just another choice.

Any comments on 'my' list are welcome. As I say still in the umming and arring state.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bobcrusader » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 4:07 pm

I did the walk a month ago in between the 2 weeks when it snowed...

Buy combined sunscreen/repellent eg Bushman
Keep the gators - plenty of overgrowth and snakes around
Could probably get by with 1 leg baselayer
I'd be inclined to keep the down jacket (because they provide a lot of warmth for the weight), but dump the merino jumper
Review the cotton undies for another material
You won't need spare headlamp batteries - it's still daylight saving and will be light until 9pm
You won't need a footprint - all the platforms are protection enough.
You won't need a liner if your sleeping bag is warm enough and you have thermals to sleep in, unless you simply want to protect the sleeping bag
For water, a pair of 1L bottles and some purification tablets work well. Just remember to refill at every chance. The tanks at the huts can be used without tablets.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby weeds » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 6:48 pm

We prepped for eight days as well, seem to remember being around the 20kg mark..........

Given your a week out there are some good advise by other you can take on.

Enjoy the walk......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 6:56 pm

If you’ve only just got back into the hiking game, don’t be too concerned about buying new gear just yet. Hiring a sub 1kg sleeping bag would be my advice.

Go and do your OLT, find what works and doesn’t work. Once you decide you love it and are going to get into it more - then start researching and spending thousands.

Nothing worse than buying new gear and then doing a trip and finding it’s not really what you wanted, or deciding to upgrade it again shortly after and wasting money.

Oh, personally I’d keep the thongs if they’re light. Great for around the huts on the OLT to dry out your feet. Nothing worse in the middle of the night than having to put wet, muddy boots on just to go to the dunny!
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby andrewa » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 7:43 pm

Just had 10 days in NZ (Fiordland) fly fishing. It was cold. Some if this may be useful, some not.

I roll of dunny paper last >10 days at 1 crap per day.

Clothing...

We fished in hydroskin heoprene leggings and socks, and often slept in them. Prob not so relevant to you, but the hydroskin socks are great for walking.

Top half

I polypropylene top, a fishing shirt ( delete for your trip), a 100wt fleece jacket, a 300 G insulated outer ( synthetic RAB type jkt with hood), a buff, which doubled as a light beanie, a rainhat, and a raincoat. Also took a 1mm neoprene surfing top, which we have previously used for packrafting, but is warmer than a thermal top, esp when you are drenched. Wouldn't have minded another light weight top at the end of trip, when it was colder and wetter, but ended up walking in the neoprene top and raincoat, and was fine.

Bottoms

The hydroskin leggings, a pair of polyethylene leggings, which I didn't wear, some zip off long pants, and a pair of goretex over pants, and maybe some 100wt fleece pants, although I just kept the hydroskin a on as they dried off.

Feet

A light camp shoe is nice. I used my wading shoes. We use home made Lycra socks to keep the sandflies off, and they dry easily. Maybe some freezer bags over feet?

Used 1 pair of socks for 10 days - wrung them out at night, slept in them, dry in the morning.

Most useful items I take on our trips are:

Cuben fiber tarp - just to get out of the rain.
Helinox zero chair
Firefighters made from cotton wool rubbed in Vaseline petroleum jelly - never used them before, but they burn really well.

I normally quilt sleep, with down mat ( quilt 5-700g, down mat 550g)...big weight savings.

We use simple upright gas stoves, rather than multi fuel. 1 - 1.5 250 g cylinders more than enough for simple meals for 10 days - coffee, cup of soup, noodles. Use a pot cozy.

Your pack is heavy. I have a home made 90l one which is 1.4kg.

Wine bladders are great water storage and pillows.

I've been using iPhone for camera/video for the last 3yrs, and been v happy . Also use GAIA GPS as GPS. A 20000mAh power bank was way,ore than I needed for 10 days.

Of note, however, was that I was unable to recharge my DJI Spark drone from the power bank.
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Joel1982 » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks everyone! Didn't think I'd get so many replies in a day. Let's start addressing...

Sleeping bag - I'm using Overland Track Transport to get myself from Launceston to Cradle. They provide gear hire - S2S down bag, just over 1 kg.

Gaiters - keeping them.

Base layers - losing one pair of legs, one shirt, and the singlet. Just one set for the trip.

Mid layer - losing merino jumper.

Outer layer - Considering losing the rain pants. I think I can get by on just shorts and gaiters...but still unsure just in case the rain and wind chill my thighs pretty good.

Zip ties - I've read that the birds like to try and get into your pack when you leave them for side trips and to zip tie the zippers to stop them. Is this true? For the minimal weight I think it would be good to reduce the risk of losing food.

Water bottle - dropping macpac bottle for the cheap plastic bottle

Phone charger - plan is to stay at friend's in sydney before flying out to launceston in the morning, then stay a day in launceston for last minute stuff, then bus the next day to Ronnys Creek. After I'm done I'm meeting my wife and daughter in Hobart. So there'll be some time when I need to use my phone. Hopefully I can just get by with the powerbank. My phone doesn't allow me to swap batteries.

Camera - I'm also one of those people who enjoys taking pictures, so it's coming along. Although I'm an ultra-amateur! Hence the spare battery if I'm endlessly trying to find the right exposure settings :)

Cooking - I'll stick with the whisperlite. Not 100% sure the 650mL bottle is enough for 7 breakfasts and dinners. Can hire a 1L bottle if needed. More on food later...

Pack - stuck with this one for now

Headlamnp - I've got a BD storm. Will lose the extra batteries.

Thongs - keeping. I do enjoy letting my feet breathe.

Underwear - I have a pair of skins I use for other sports. Might also invest in a pair of icebreakers.

Footprint - only reason for bringing this along is I plan on spending a night or two (weather permitting) around the labyrinth, acropolis, lake elysia. Sounds like my tent will be ok without it if I'm careful where I place it.

Day pack - will swap for the S2S packable bag. Minimal cost for good weight savings.

Passport - thought I might need it for the flight...guess not!

Toilet paper - I just weighed a full roll...3 ply! Will reduce the size of this.

Towel - may swap for a S2S drylite

Food - here's my plan so far (and it's the last bit of planning and prep I've done):
Self made, three types of trail mix, switching each day for varierty. Total 2.2kg (yes, this will be my snack on trail and lunch most days!)
Breakfast is 7 days of 150g oats, with berries and/or sweet spices. Coffee. Total 1.2kg
Dinner is strive food for 5 nights and some tuna pasta 2 nights. Total ~1kg
Other snacks & energy food - 200g beef jerky, 200g chocolate, anything else I impulse buy in Launceston! Total ~0.5kg.
So total has been revised to an estimate of 5kg.

Revised overall total is about 20.2kg! I can reduce this another ~0.2kg if I swap dry bags for a pack liner - still undecided on that one.

Guess I'll see what works and how my body feels in 3 weeks!

Thanks everyone for the assistance!
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby warnabrother » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 7:14 am

Hi Joel

A word of warning regarding the Sea to Summit bags - they are an incredibly small fit. I'd suggest finding the make and model they hire and checking somewhere local to see you will comfortably fit into it. If you are broad in the shoulder (like myself), you will have issues and be very squashed/uncomfortable at night.
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 8:41 am

I eat pretty well in the bush and average 600 grams/day.
You might be taking a few too many snacks.
I would also avoid a lot of chocolate while walking as I find it dries my mouth out. I do like a chocolate bar once I’ve stopped for the night!
Also consider varying your breakfast occasionally as 7 days of oats could get a bit much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC

Postby north-north-west » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 9:44 am

Joel1982 wrote:Passport - thought I might need it for the flight...guess not!

Contrary to some assumptions, Tasmania is still part of Australia.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bobcrusader » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 10:31 am

Do you have a rain cover for your bag? Use that to keep birds out - you just need to ensure the zips are not visible. Possums on the other hand... You need at least one dry bag for food and something for waste that can hang over a rafter in the hut. Your revised list looks good and will be down to 13kg once food and water are consumed. How are you going to secure your tent to the platforms? These were great: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4pcs-Tent-Aw ... 1c6eedd0ab and screw in hooks are good too.
bobcrusader
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 11:27 am

Yes, Bob is right. I thought of that but forgot to mention it.

The currawongs are masters at undoing zips... if they can see them.

Put your pack cover on and lay your pack flat on its back. If they can’t see any zips, they will leave it alone. I’ve never used cable ties and haven’t had any problems.

Possums at hut sites - different story. They will rip a hole straight through your pack if given the opportunity. At the overnight stops, store any food and preferably your pack inside the hut.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby bigwallclimber » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 12:18 pm

bobcrusader wrote:Do you have a rain cover for your bag? Use that to keep birds out - you just need to ensure the zips are not visible. Possums on the other hand... You need at least one dry bag for food and something for waste that can hang over a rafter in the hut. Your revised list looks good and will be down to 13kg once food and water are consumed. How are you going to secure your tent to the platforms? These were great: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4pcs-Tent-Aw ... 1c6eedd0ab and screw in hooks are good too.

Hey There,

I just use a small version of these https://www.bunnings.com.au/tic-23mm-ni ... k_p3930170

I think I bought them in a 20 pack for a dollar or two, used smaller ones on the latest trip and no issues at all and they weigh absolutely nothing and well worth chucking in your pack.

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Joel1982 » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 1:18 pm

I have a pack cover and will use it when leaving my pack.

I've got 8 cuphooks for securing tent to the platforms.

Great idea to halve my towel weight ...cut the towel in half! Now I have two lightweight towels :)
Joel1982
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 4:37 am

Joel1982 wrote:I've got 8 cuphooks for securing tent to the platforms.

What's a cuphook?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby weeds » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 6:11 am

Orion wrote:
Joel1982 wrote:I've got 8 cuphooks for securing tent to the platforms.

What's a cuphook?

These little fellas.....we also took a handful of them, handy when pitching on platforms.

weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Orion » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 8:06 am

I don't get it. Do you screw them into the wood platform??

Why not just a framing hammer and a box of nails. You could nail your tent down!
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bigwallclimber » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 8:45 am

Orion wrote:I don't get it. Do you screw them into the wood platform??

Why not just a framing hammer and a box of nails. You could nail your tent down!

Orion,

I used for the first time this year after numerous walks of not taking them, they actually make the tent sit better and less wonky than just the chains and clips that are generic you screw them into the deck or on the sides where needed. They worked exceptionally well with my tent and TBH reassured me if we had foul weather the tent was solid.

For 67g of security it was worth it.

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Orion » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:32 am

So you really do screw them into the wood? I would have thought that wasn't acceptable. Over time won't the platform have a lot of holes in it?

bigwallclimber wrote:For 67g of security it was worth it.

That's two shots of whisky! :-)

I use some 1.5mm cord that I carry anyway (for repair or a clothesline). It's thin but strong enough (525N). And I take care to tie knots that can be released easily.

My Tarptent has very short guylines so I added something over a meter to each one in advance. Total was 15g. Worked great on the platforms and it came in handy pitching once in an awkward non-platform spot where I had to extend to get a stake for one corner and tie to a tree for another. I suppose I could have screwed a cuphook into that tree.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby weeds » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:50 am

The cup hooks are quite small, in fact I didn’t see many exiting holes on the platforms we used.....plus I don’t think many actually know about the idea.

The chains are kinda OK ish, we used them here and there.

weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain