Bunnings tyvek overalls

Discussion about making bushwalking-related equipment.

Bunnings tyvek overalls

Postby Rileyr » Sun 10 Dec, 2017 5:39 am

Hi everyone,
I found some tyvek overalls being sold at bunnings for $15. All tyvek is waterproof and breathable is it?

If so, I reckon this would be a cheap way to make a jacket and/or rain pants from. I plan on basically just cutting it in half and seeing how it goes.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/unisafe-dis ... m_p3354074Image

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Bunnings tyvek overalls

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 10 Dec, 2017 6:04 am

While I carry a set of these in the car for emergency use, changing wheels or fitting chains I'm not sure about using them as donors for that purpose. You would need 2 sets to start with and they are very fragile
They are very thin
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orion » Sun 10 Dec, 2017 6:07 am

I wore Tyvek coveralls on one trip. At the time I thought they were supposed to be non-breathable but as I recall they were surprisingly comfortable, and this was on a hot sunny trip in the summer. So obviously I can't attest to their degree of waterproofness. One thing to note (as Moondog just did) is that they shred pretty easily. I remember wishing I'd taken a second pair as my first ones required a lot of duct tape after the first day.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Rileyr » Sun 10 Dec, 2017 6:28 am

Ah ok bugger. Thought I was onto something there. Good to know before I went and got a set!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Avatar » Sun 10 Dec, 2017 10:44 pm

Just wondering how these would go as a Water Vapour Barrier worn inside a sleeping bag. Anyone tried it?
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 5:42 am

from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Orion » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 6:10 am

Yeah, Wayno, I was wondering about that. It's unlikely the overalls from Bunnings are labeled as a particular type of Tyvek. The bunny suit I was given came from a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant but did not include any specifications.

I wasn't interested in waterproofness per se. But it would be easy enough to test for it. Of course the fragility of the material makes it unsuitable for a walk that includes any scrub or rough surfaces whatsoever. Maybe it could be used for golfing.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby redrock » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 1:54 pm

Speaking of Tyvek clothing, has anyone used those UL Tyvek booties/shoe covers for hut wear (or more?) I was thinking they'd make a perfect lightweight overboot on the cheap down booties you find on eBay and AliExpress, which have no sole durability really.

I think I saw some with non-slip soles or padded soles as well.
redrock
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Rileyr » Mon 18 Dec, 2017 8:20 pm

redrock wrote:Speaking of Tyvek clothing, has anyone used those UL Tyvek booties/shoe covers for hut wear (or more?) I was thinking they'd make a perfect lightweight overboot on the cheap down booties you find on eBay and AliExpress, which have no sole durability really.

I think I saw some with non-slip soles or padded soles as well.
Some look pretty good! Id be interested in the weight

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 12:53 pm

I have posted this before, I chopped a jacket out of the overalls, put a patch from the legs up the zip to anorack height. Good light weight jacket, good as a wet jacket packrafting so I have a dry internally other jacket for camp and I dont smash a more expensive jacket.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Rileyr » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 1:40 pm

davidf wrote:I have posted this before, I chopped a jacket out of the overalls, put a patch from the legs up the zip to anorack height. Good light weight jacket, good as a wet jacket packrafting so I have a dry internally other jacket for camp and I dont smash a more expensive jacket.
Sweet, has it lasted ok? Considering its only $15

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 4:36 pm

So I bought a set.

A medium with the legs chopped off is under 100g.

I jumped in the shower with it over the top of a t shirt. The results were that the zip lets in a lot of water. The seams also start to let water in after a few minutes. Here are a front and back shot of the shirt after 5 minutes moving around under the shower.

I reckon that with a $15 roll of tape used for tyvek from tiergear I could get this fairly watertight. I could use a strip of tyvek from the pants to make an internal storm flap which could have a few stick on velcro spots too. Might even get a few jackets done with a roll.

I could also use it in conjuction with a lightweight umbrella to help stay dry. The umbrella can also be used under my tarp in wet and windy weather.

Or for some people it might be useful as a wind stop/ water resistant jacket.

A con is that the zipper is not an open ended zipper. Might be best off sealing the zipper completely with the existing storm flap and that tape and make it a pull over jacket (which it already sortof is).

Thoughts?
Last edited by Rileyr on Wed 27 Dec, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rileyr » Wed 27 Dec, 2017 4:36 pm

Forgot to attach the photosImageImage

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 4:36 pm

After you cut the anorak to length use the leg fabric to make a flap over the zip. Use tenacious tap and get whatever they call velcro from spotlight
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 3:36 pm

I love the resourcefulness, and I hesitate to mention, but have you tried the Frogg Toggs off Amazon. I have a set (which was as cheap as a jacket) and all your problems are solved. Pants are crap apparently.Does anything breathe, really? The fit on the Toggs is veryyyyyy loose, so some air moves around. Jacket is 180grams and very waterproof. Or maybe the other end of the spectrum very breathable and a quite water resistant -the Fauxdini (70grams) I reviewed on BPL- put "fauxdini" into BPL search and look for me, I think I am Graham? Both items delivered for about 25AUD
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Rileyr » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 5:31 am

Lamont wrote:I love the resourcefulness, and I hesitate to mention, but have you tried the Frogg Toggs off Amazon. I have a set (which was as cheap as a jacket) and all your problems are solved. Pants are crap apparently.Does anything breathe, really? The fit on the Toggs is veryyyyyy loose, so some air moves around. Jacket is 180grams and very waterproof. Or maybe the other end of the spectrum very breathable and a quite water resistant -the Fauxdini (70grams) I reviewed on BPL- put "fauxdini" into BPL search and look for me, I think I am Graham? Both items delivered for about 25AUD

Thanks Lamont, I had heard of frogg toggs but not the fauxdini.

I ended up buying a roll of tyvek tape and taping all seams from the inside. This will strengthen the jacket and seam seal it. I took most of the zip out and taped the front shut. I have tested it out a couple of times and it seems to be pretty waterproof!

Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 2:25 pm

Excellent!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/