Blue Gum Forest- Springwood style.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Blue Gum Forest- Springwood style.

Postby kanangra » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 2:22 pm

I took the opportunity to spend a night under the stars on Saturday. Parked the car at the end of Whitecross Rd. and walked down to the Blue Gum Swamp. Surprised just how scenic it was. Towering blue gums with ferny understory. Every bit as impressive as its more famous namesake up near Blackheath. Walked up to the Grose River Lkt. Great views over to Grose Hd. Sth and down to the Springwood Ck. junction. The ridge up from the junction, Kariwoga I think it is called, looks good going. Broke camp early and was back in Sydney in time for church. A quick fix I know but better than nothing.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Blue Gum Forest- Springwood style.

Postby Drifting » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 5:27 pm

quick escapes are great, aren't they?
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Mon 09 Nov, 2009 6:14 pm

Sounds like a great escape, good on ya for getting out there, and also for sharing your experience here.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Tue 10 Nov, 2009 12:14 am

One of my favourite day trips. Usually do the circuit from Whitecross Ave via Shaws Ridge, then up to the lookout and return via Blue Gum Swamp Ck. It's also worth climbing up to Grose Head South itself although you don't get much of a view on top. On one occasion we investigated further north from there and found that a disused FT appears to continue all the way down to the Grose R. via Springwood Ridge. I imagine that it likely meets the Engineers Track but didn't have time to explore it all the way down. Another time...

I haven't been up Kariwoga Ridge, although some years ago walked out to Faulconbridge Point and down to a nice spot on the Grose via the track about 1 km from the end of the ridge. Michael Keats' book "Day Walks in the Lower Grose River and Tributaries" describes a trip down to Springwood Ck from there and returning via Kariwoga Ridge. It sounds like a significant challenge.

Did you camp near the lookout or somewhere else?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby melinda » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 8:53 am

Kariwoga Ridge itself is pretty spectacular. There is a knifeedge section in the middle of it that has amazing views of the Grose and Springwood Creek, some big clifflines to the NW.

The main problem is getting there. A pretty ordinary 5 km firetrail bash along Faulconbridge Ridge. (Have thought of taking mountain bikes out to the turnoff point!)
On the walking track to Kariwoga there is a lot of regrowth from past fires that blocks the views and slows things down a bit.

Have thought of doing a weekend trip out there but not too sure about drinking the Grose, all the creeks appear to come down from built up areas. I haven't come in from Blue Gum Swamp direction, sounds like its worth having a look at!
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Postby kanangra » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 1:43 pm

I intend to go in there this weekend. I don't have much time. Will leave after lunch on Sat and need to be back by 11 on Sunday. Will take the fireroad out towards Faulconbridge Point and then the Grose River walking track. Plan to walk downstream to the Springwood Ck junction and camp there. Then away early Sunday morning for the climb up Kariwoga Ridge. Having read Melinda's description I am quite looking forward to it. I will let you know how it goes.

K.

John, Last time I camped at the old picnic area at the Blue Gum Ck crossing. Big pool nearby.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 11:51 pm

melinda wrote:Have thought of doing a weekend trip out there but not too sure about drinking the Grose, all the creeks appear to come down from built up areas.

Melinda, I would warn strongly against drinking from the Grose R. based on all advice I've ever received. I've been down to the Grose numerous times with locals who know it well. They would never drink it, even if treated. One "safe" water source I know of is Orangutan Creek near Acacia Flat/Blue Gum Forest (too far away from your trip). I have drank this untreated with no ill effect (to date). There may be others, but any water source in the Grose catchment needs to be viewed with caution IMHO, for the reasons you mention. Looking at the map should help identify side creeks that might be OK. But unless someone can give you first hand knowledge I would recommend treating or boiling it anyway, to be safe. I'd probably just carry enough for the weekend though.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Fri 04 Dec, 2009 11:56 pm

kanangra wrote:John, Last time I camped at the old picnic area at the Blue Gum Ck crossing. Big pool nearby.

Thanks K, I know the spot...Mozzies?
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 8:17 am

No mozzies.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby melinda » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 11:38 am

Hi John W,
I'm with you, drinking the Grose can be pretty gross!
I'm pretty cautious of the side creeks also... have picked up a few bugs from them as well.
There was an excellent story on Catalyst some time ago about pollution in the Grose. If you are interested the link is:
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2331597.htm
Melinda
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda

Postby kanangra » Wed 09 Dec, 2009 8:16 am

Crumbs, I wish I'd read that before the weekend? Can't say it did me any harm though. Still we took most of our water from Springwood Ck. which looked very good. Tasted all right too.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes