Garmin GPSMAP 64 best map

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Garmin GPSMAP 64 best map

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 3:05 pm

I've recently bought a Garmin GPSMAP 64 with the hope of doing some more off track walking in the future. Most of the walking I'll do with it will be in Tassie, so I was wondering what the best map to install should be (both free and paid)? And how is it installed? (GPS's are a fairly new world for me, so any relevant advice would be useful).
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 64 best map

Postby keithy » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 6:48 pm

For maps there are paid and free options. For example you can use :

Paid
There are options to get these on DVDs and you have to install it on your own card or device, but adds an additional step. If you get the maps on a preinstalled microSD card, you can use the maps in any Garmin GPS unit. If you get the maps on DVD, it is licensed to your specific unit.

Free

• OSM maps. There are various sources of topo OSM maps for the Garmin. You can copy the precompiled IMG files to the \Garmin directory of your GPSMap 64s or your microSD card. Others might require you to be compiled using Garmin's Mapsource or Basecamp software.

For ease of installation, look for premade maps. For example, here is a thread on andrewp's compilation that I still have on my Garmins viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14234&start=150 . The files are here for easy download and copying to the \Garmin directory on your device or the micro SD card - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... B6dSEegVby
  • Custom maps. You can create your own maps from scanned or other digital images.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks keithy! 3 follow up questions:
-You refer to the 64s, except I have a 64. I assume the process remains the same?
-While I can go buy a microSD card with no problem, can the maps hypothetically be installed onto the GPS itself?
-What are the contour lines like on OSM and andrewp's premade maps?
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:07 pm

Andrewp's maps are fantastic, I use the versions with 10m contours. Yes you can save onto the GPS itself, it will actually load map information faster this way I believe. From memory you save them directly to the Garmin folder but a quick Google will confirm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 9:56 pm

L_Cham_67 wrote:-You refer to the 64s, except I have a 64. I assume the process remains the same?
-While I can go buy a microSD card with no problem, can the maps hypothetically be installed onto the GPS itself?
-What are the contour lines like on OSM and andrewp's premade maps?

Yes, my bad, I assumed you had the latest model the 64s. The process is exactly the same though.

You can install the maps on the GPS itself, as long as you have enough free memory. If you chose all the states from andrew's osm maps they are about 2.5Gb. But if you just install Tas, it is about 170Mb. The Garmin 64 has 4Gb of onboard memory, and some of that is taken up by system files. So theoretically all of andrewp's OSM maps can fit on the device.

This is from one of my previous posts:

The great thing about Andrew's OSM is that it is already compiled for you and it incorporates contours and hydro (in VIC and TAS) from the state land authorities, so it is as accurate as paper maps. You will find that the OSM also includes quite a few trails not marked on the Garmin maps. And the best thing, it is FREE and simple to download and transfer to the Garmin GPS.

Steps to get it:
  • Go to andrew's link above download the maps you want.
  • These IMG maps can just be copied directly to the Garmin's internal memory, or copied to the SD card. Make sure they are copied to the \Garmin directory and you're good to go.
  • Both the OSM and original Garmin maps can live on the Garmin GPS simultaneously, but when you pick between them, to avoid maps overwriting each other on the display, go to Map Setup, and Enable/Disable only one at a time (eg. Enable the OSM map, and Disable the Garmin map or vice versa)
keithy

Postby L_Cham_67 » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 11:25 pm

Thanks again for the responses! One final thing which I just thought of then: what program is best to upload the tracks onto a PC? (ie something like Garmin Basecamp)
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 11:42 pm

L_Cham_67 wrote:Thanks again for the responses! One final thing which I just thought of then: what program is best to upload the tracks onto a PC? (ie something like Garmin Basecamp)

It can depend what you want to do with the tracks on the PC.

For example, see my response in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26438#p333799

Basecamp is great, but there is steep learning curve, and there is some jiggery to get a background map to display as well.

If you just want to view the GPX track file after you record it, there are many browser based mini apps that can do this.

There is http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/ or http://www.gpsvisualizer.com for example.

I have used these when I am traveling an using a computer that is not mine. But I mostly edit and view files on my phone and tablet these days. With mygpsfiles you drag and drop your gpx track file into the working window, and it will display the information of your track.
keithy

Postby L_Cham_67 » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:19 am

Ideally I'd want to be able to view them and then keep a record of them all.
I suppose a very crude way would be to upload it to something like mygpsfiles and then just screenshot it and keep a folder of them.

By the way, I downloaded one of Andrew's maps with no dramas. Exactly the type of map I was after so thanks very much for the help and thanks to Andrew for making them!
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:25 am

L_Cham_67 wrote:I suppose a very crude way would be to upload it to something like mygpsfiles and then just screenshot it and keep a folder of them.

You can still keep the original GPX track files on your PC in a folder by just copying the gpx files. They will be in the \Garmin\gpx directory on the Garmin GPS. I usually rename mine from the default date format name given on the device to something more helpful.

Once you have the gpx file saved on a folder on your PC, you can use any variety of apps to display them on a map and to view the associated data, eg charting elevation/distance or speed/distance etc.

You can even use Google Earth to display your recorded trail and view it in 3D (I have done this when using the GPS in a glider, and it is quite cool to do a playback and view the trail replay in the air.)

I only mentioned those online browser based apps as they are a quick way to view your gps trails when you don't have any applications installed on your PC.
keithy

Postby Species 8472 » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a Garmin 64ST with the the full Topo maps installed (10 meter contours) on the SD card. Before I bought it I checked the map and only looked at Wisons Prom to see how the map looked. The tracks were there so I took it home to Tasmania and later to my horror found that there was not one bushwalking track for Tassie. Not even the Overland! And I'm from Tassie.
I called Garmin Australia and the customer rep was as surprised as I was that no tracks existed. The Tas map has all the topo features and looks great but not a single track.Garmin offered an immediate refund and forwarded the anomaly to their tech people.
I took the unit back to Johnny Appleseed in St Kilda where I bought it and the guy there tried to install new topo maps for Tas. To his credit he went out of his way but had trouble. After numerous attempts and calling Garmin for advise he was only partially successful by installing rasta maps overlying the existing Garmin topo map. The visual of that is unsatisfactory.And still didn't include a lot of tracks.
I decided to do a software and map update on my old Magellan 710 Explorist. The already excellent topo maps pre-installed were improved and will use that for my Tassie walks.
The major disadvantages of the 710 is the very poor battery life ( if I leave new batteries in and not use it for 2 weeks they become flat ) and the screen is very hard to see in any sunlight.
The screen and battery life on the 64ST is much better.
I appreciate the instructions given here about loading maps on the 64ST and I will have a go at it.
Many thanks to all.
Species 8472
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Warin » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 4:15 pm

@ Species 8472 I take it that the SD card has the purchased maps? You should buy a blank SD card to put other maps on - thus avoid any possibility of overwriting your paid for map. Keep the paid for one untill you have lots of confidence in making changes on it - remember those maps cost money and if you destroy them they are gone.

OSM has a tracks in Tassie. There might be a few missing? But certainly the Overland and its main side tracks are there.

OSM topo maps can be downloaded from;

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... B6dSEegVby

http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php. I don't like the rendering there and prefer http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ But that has no contours, it is avalible in two styles of rendering though.

Note the contours do not come from OSM but from other sources. OSM provides the roads/tracks/hotels/camp sites etc.
The GPS may be able to display one (or more) 'map' as transparent - so you can have a contour map transparent and a track map under it. Play with it and see. Personally I find the contours are a little distraction on the GPS.
Last edited by Warin on Sun 03 Dec, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Species 8472 » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 5:03 pm

Yes the maps are on the SD card ( V5 ) I bought this seperately at the shop as I wanted the 10 meter contours that you didn't get with the Lite version
So I actually got the 64S not the 64ST.
Thanks for your advise.
Species 8472
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby keithy » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 6:48 pm

Species 8472 wrote:I called Garmin Australia and the customer rep was as surprised as I was that no tracks existed. The Tas map has all the topo features and looks great but not a single track.Garmin offered an immediate refund and forwarded the anomaly to their tech people.

I've mentioned previously above and in other posts in this forum and elsewhere. The Garmin Australian topo maps, while for the most part are good, have been lacking in tracks/trails for quite a while now.

Further, there are some discrepancies in recent updates that you might also see for example from this thread viewtopic.php?f=63&t=22557#p293328 . I don't know if Garmin has addressed this yet.

I have bought and used various Garmin topo maps from all over the world, with the various European ones I've used being the most detailed in containing walking tracks and trails but have noted that the Australian topo maps are lacking here.

I've had the Garmin Au/NZ topo maps from V3, and V4, and had a go at the V5 lite maps which I did some screenshots to compare here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18409#p255060

The tassie trails weren't there in V3 either, so while the Garmin rep you spoke to might be surprised, this is not new. I don't believe that Garmin has responded to the Wild magazine article on the issue on the inaccuracies above yet either.

I've just done screenshot comparisons of the Overland Track with my V4 and andrewp's OSM compilation here (taken on my Oregon 600):
These are taken at 5km scale
GarminTopoTasTracksCompare1.jpg
GarminTopoTasTracksCompare1.jpg (89.47 KiB) Viewed 37966 times

These are taken at 500m scale (with the Garmin topo some tracks on mine are only visible at 800m scale or lower)
GarminTopoTasTracksCompare2.jpg
GarminTopoTasTracksCompare2.jpg (113.66 KiB) Viewed 37966 times

In VIC and NZ where I've walked, some of the trails are there, but the OSM or other sources have superior track info.

If you haven't returned your 64S, give the OSM maps a crack. Another option is the OZtopo maps which I haven't used for many years now http://www.oztopo.com.au/garmin.htm. You could contact them for info on the tracks that they include.
keithy

Postby Species 8472 » Sun 03 Dec, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks for that. That is disappointing that Garmin hasn't addressed this issue.They selling point to me was the maps and they are indeed lacking.The summit series for Aus and NZ by Magellan on my Explorist is far superior. Magellan gave me an email link to upgrade the maps and the software at the sametime. It was free because I had already had the maps when I bought it in 2011. Great service.
I asked Garmin to email me a step by step guide on how to download maps and they said they would
Two weeks later I'm still waiting.
Keithy and Warin thanks so much for your help and suggestions.
I should return the Garmin shouldn't I ?
However I will try and follow your suggestions.
Thanks again
This whole forum is very helpful in so many ways.
Species 8472
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bernieq » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 7:11 pm

S8472, Garmin customer support (imo) is atrocious and the GPS UI is poor - however, it's better than the alternatives.

You can have a really usable system for Tas (and the other states) - just download andrewp's img map(s) and copy it into the /garmin directory on the GPS. Simple as that - free and comprehensive (it's LIST data).

Details in this link : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26893&p=339347&hilit=Osm+Tas#p339347

Once again, thanks andrewp !

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq

Postby englishmanbo » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi, after giving up on smartphone I have also just purchased a gpsmap64 and am looking at topo V6 vs OSM. So far no luck with OSM-pCloud (no mountable file) and Shoddynet KMZ file does work but not have adequate detail, blurry when zooming in. Google earth KML file shows waypoints but no map enhancement in basecamp. Thinking I may have to pay $199 for V6 Topo. I will re-read the post and try all options.
Found this, thanks
Alternative Maps for Garmin Devices

I've done a hell of a lot of research since originally starting the post and have figured out how to make some great maps for Garmin devices. Field tested and works great.
Basically, there are a few ways to get better maps on the device. You have the OSM maps that others have compiled which are great due to the vector nature and you can get routable maps which I guess is sort of handy sometimes.
But if you want really detailed maps I've only come across 2 methods.

METHOD 1
1. Download or scan in you map source as JPEG. For example, for NSW maps you can get the digital topo maps for free at https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html
Then open pdf map in photoshop or editing program and crop out the map margins. Join multiple cropped maps in another photoshop file to cover a larger area. Save as JPEG. I found using the unsharp mask makes it much easier to read.
2. Overlay JPEG in google earth. You can use this http://www.gelib.com/worldwide-utm-grid.htm to help align the map. Plenty of tutorials online to do this. Save overlayed image as KMZ.
3. That KMZ file won't work on the device because the Jpeg is too big. So you need to use the G-Raster software. Import the KMZ into G-Raster and save it for Garmin. Get it here http://moagu.com/?page_id=155 It does cost but its cheap enough.
4. Copy the exported file to the custom maps folder of your Garmin device.

METHOD 2 (Much easier)
1. You need this software called MAPC2MAPC. You can download it as a trial it just overlays red crosses everywhere but you can try it out before you buy it. http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping/
Still much cheaper than the Garmin Topo though. But this program is gold and support is awesome.
2. Use the 'work with online sources' > Edit the list of Map sources and here you can add the tile server of the map source.
For Example for NSW Six maps
https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/rest ... /MapServer you add it in as this:
NSW|https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/arcgis/rest/services/public/NSW_Topo_Map/MapServer/tile/{z}/{y}/{x}
I don't understand what how you figure that out but send the developer the link of the tile server and he can help you out.
3. In the 'work with online map sources' you can define the area with coords. Use google earth to find the coords you need (NW & SE corners).
Then choose map source and Map zoom.
4. Once loaded you can optimise the map by sharpening and contrast. Experiment to how you like it.
Then you can save it as KMZ that works on Garmin devices without needing G-raster.
5. Copy the exported file to the custom maps folder of your Garmin device.

MAPC2MAPC also can load any jpeg map and calibrate it. Great software! The Developer also responds pretty quick support is great.

Few issues I'm still trying to figure out are:
1. Garmin 64s gives me a warning on startup that I've exceeded the tile limit. I've got 5 custom maps of a rather large size and only 3 show at a time. Kinda annoying.
2. Maps are a little on the laggy side when zooming in and out but honestly, it isn't going to hinder its functionality. The level of detail is awesome.

I found I still need the OSM maps as a general map but use the custom maps for the location I need in specific.
The Instructions are rather general but you should be able to fill in the blanks with a bit of googling. Let me know if I didn't explain anything enough. Hope this helps.
I'm hoping to experiment and learn a bit more about making maps but been too busy. Will post if I learn more.
[/quote]
Last edited by englishmanbo on Wed 15 Aug, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
englishmanbo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Warin » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 10:13 pm

englishmanbo wrote:So far no luck with OSM-pCloud (no mountable file)

??? You should get a file that ends with .img .... OK?

You put that file into your GPS in the \Garmin directory on the device/card. It does not 'mount' on to your PC.

---------------------------------------------
If our running basecamp/mapsource and want some maps there then get the .exe files from
http://alternativaslibres.org/en/downloads.php.
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ 2 flavours avalible here, no topo lines though.

'mount' the .exe files and those should then be avalible on your basecamp/mapsource app.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby englishmanbo » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 10:42 pm

Warin, thanks for the reply.

ADD:
I understand that if I just load directly into the GPS SD card it would be simpler, however I want to work in basecamp or similar planning software on my mac. The process to make my own maps looks like it will take a long time the first time I do it. To download other peoples maps into basecamp has not worked readily or the detail was inadequate, will take some troubleshooting. OSM + Topo gmap file is not recognised by basecamp (I read it should be) which wants a GPX file. I don't find a source of free digital topo maps like the NSW 6 maps in Western Australia. The WA Govt. Landgate sells great detailed maps at $12.50 per tile. NATMAP does not go less than 1:100 000.

I have spent another couple of hours on this and I think $200 for Garmin V6 is cheap, if I priced my labour per hour into this process I would already be ahead. So the question is not, can I persevere and solve these problems, but, how long am I likely to spend on it and is that something I want to do. Individual answer and not a clear win for free maps.
Last edited by englishmanbo on Thu 16 Aug, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
englishmanbo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby keithy » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 10:54 pm

englishmanbo wrote: So far no luck with OSM-pCloud (no mountable file)

Do not double click or try to open the downloaded IMG file.

Your computer is saying it is not mountable because it thinks that the IMG file is a disc image file. It is not. Disc image files share the same *.img extension as Garmin Map file formats.

In this case, there is no need to do anything with the downloaded Garmin Map img file but to copy it to the \Garmin directory on either the microSD card or to the \Garmin directory on the Garmin GPSMap64 itself, as mentioned in the earlier post above.

keithy wrote:These IMG maps can just be copied directly to the Garmin's internal memory, or copied to the SD card. Make sure they are copied to the \Garmin directory and you're good to go.
Both the OSM and original Garmin maps can live on the Garmin GPS simultaneously, but when you pick between them, to avoid maps overwriting each other on the display, go to Map Setup, and Enable/Disable only one at a time (eg. Enable the OSM map, and Disable the Garmin map or vice versa)

If you do end up buying the Garmin V6 Australian Topo, it would be nice if you could come back and give a review of it. From what I have read, the V6 seems to have sorted the Contours issue that were introduced in V5, and they have also added some "Great Walks" trails to it, so finally the Overland Track is shown on the Garmin Aust Topos.
keithy

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 8:31 am

I've got the 64s. I've bought the Australian topo map that Garmin makes. It's really detailed as regards watercourses but tbh I'm not too fussed. I prefer osm maps over it. Yet in the field I'll still prefer to use maps that I've made out of pdf topos. The detail is unbeatable. The Garmin topo leaves alot of guess work when it comes to cliffs.
If anyone's interested I can post some screenshots of the differences between maps.
Huntsman247

Postby peregrinator » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 5:37 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:I've got the 64s. I've bought the Australian topo map that Garmin makes. It's really detailed as regards watercourses but tbh I'm not too fussed. I prefer osm maps over it. Yet in the field I'll still prefer to use maps that I've made out of pdf topos. The detail is unbeatable. The Garmin topo leaves alot of guess work when it comes to cliffs.
If anyone's interested I can post some screenshots of the differences between maps.

Huntsman, I'd be very interested to see that. I'm reasonably happy with OSM maps but 'd really like to know what $200 buys.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 6:26 pm

Ok. A mate just borrowed my gps. Should get it back this weekend. Will post it then.
Huntsman247

Postby Warin » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 7:19 pm

englishmanbo wrote:Warin, thanks for the reply.

ADD:
I understand that if I just load directly into the GPS SD card it would be simpler, however I want to work in basecamp or similar planning software on my mac. The process to make my own maps looks like it will take a long time the first time I do it. To download other peoples maps into basecamp has not worked readily or the detail was inadequate, will take some troubleshooting. OSM + Topo gmap file is not recognised by basecamp (I read it should be) which wants a GPX file.

Basecamp should be able to get map data from your GPS. If you put the .imj file on to the GPS and than plug the GPS into the Mac and then start Basecamp there should be a list of maps in a window to select from. Sorry, I'm a mapsource person so cannot point you any more detailed than that.

The OSM maps I link to above are .exe.. avalible I think for a Mac too .. and those should 'mount' on your Mac - not a GPS file! Once mounted then you should be able to select the map inside basecamp from a pull down menu .. same menu as the GPS map thingy.

Yes there is a lot of running in circles .. that is the problem with Garmin. Nice product but poor software and documentation. :evil:
--------------------------------
Making your own maps... Been there done that. And I have lots of data .. at least 1 Tb.
Best to start with OSM data ... about 1 G for Australia. That is vector data, raster data would be larger.
The simplest thing to do is add to the raw OSM data and wait for it to come through on the relevant maps. 1 to 2 months for above maps .. but the walking one would be a year?
You can make your own maps from that data ... does not take long for small areas. And if you have added it to the OSM data the other maps will get it too.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 8:55 pm

englishmanbo wrote:however I want to work in basecamp or similar planning software on my mac.

You can indeed still get Andrew's OSM map on your basecamp. You just need to use a USB memory stick, or connect your Garmin GPSMap 64 with the maps installed on it to to the PC while you are using basecamp.

So if you use a memory stick, you just need to make a directory \Garmin, and copy Andrews OSM .img file to that directory. Plug it in to the PC before starting up Garmin's Basecamp, and it will show up.

This is also the procedure you will need to use if you buy the Garmin V6 topo on preloaded SD card and want it to show up in Basecamp - ie. you need to connect your GPS with to the PC while you use basecamp, or put the microSD card with the preloaded Garmin topo into a USB drive and plug it into the PC.

If you buy the Garmin V6 topo on DVD or downloaded, then you can install it to Basecamp, but it will be licensed to your Garmin GPSMap64, and can only be used by that GPS unit.
keithy

Postby englishmanbo » Thu 16 Aug, 2018 10:14 pm

Warin and Keithy,
Out of respect for your perseverance I will give it a go. This morning I was feeling a bit fed up. Lot of things on my "to do" list at work and home, do not need more work. However, you have inspired me to give it another crack. Last year I had the same dilemma setting up a 4WD for an off-road adventure in the Kimberly. There were plenty of times I wished I had just paid someone else to do the job, but, ultimately it gave me greater understanding and affinity with the vehicle. Thanks for your GPS teachings.
Respectfully,
Bo
englishmanbo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 17 Aug, 2018 9:19 pm

peregrinator wrote:
Huntsman247 wrote:I've got the 64s. I've bought the Australian topo map that Garmin makes. It's really detailed as regards watercourses but tbh I'm not too fussed. I prefer osm maps over it. Yet in the field I'll still prefer to use maps that I've made out of pdf topos. The detail is unbeatable. The Garmin topo leaves alot of guess work when it comes to cliffs.

Huntsman, I'd be very interested to see that. I'm reasonably happy with OSM maps but 'd really like to know what $200 buys.

Ok, I just picked a couple popular spots that have some interesting terrain.
I've taken the screenshots out of the Basecamp software to be able to display more map real estate. It basically appears exactly the same just obviously cropped to the display size.
Maps I've captured are:
1. Custom - NSW TOPO made using MAPC2MAPC. Made using instructions I compiled that englishmanbo quoted here already.
2. OSM - These are Andrewp's OSM maps (I believe of memory)
3. Garmin - AUS & NZ top v5

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Custom map.jpg
Custom Wide
OSM Map.jpg
OSM Wide
garmin topo.jpg
Garmin Wide
custom close.jpg
Custom Close
osm close.jpg
OSM Close
garmin close.jpg
Garmin Close
custom.jpg
Custom 2
osm 2.jpg
OSM 2
Garmin 2.jpg
Garmin 2
Huntsman247

Postby NathanaelB » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 7:58 am

I'm waiting to load the TOPO maps onto my 64SC ... Garmin Express isn't working for me so waiting on Garmin to figure it out. I know it's incomplete but I'm comfortable with overlaying custom OSM extracts processed in Mapwel. I just wanted a decent basemap.
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Warin » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 11:47 am

Huntsman247 wrote:Ok, I just picked a couple popular spots that have some interesting terrain.
I've taken the screenshots out of the Basecamp software to be able to display more map real estate. It basically appears exactly the same just obviously cropped to the display size.
Maps I've captured are:
1. Custom - NSW TOPO made using MAPC2MAPC. Made using instructions I compiled that englishmanbo quoted here already.

In the first set...

For 2. OSM - I've just made some rough holes in the tree area based on the LPI Satellite imagery, added a path out towards Endrick based on the LPI Base map (some evidence of it at the start but tree covered for the rest).

For 3. The track shown here to Endrick may not exist, I cannot see it in the imagery. :oops:

---------------
The advantage of OSM is that you can change it. OK it takes time for the changes to flow through .. but it can be done. And that then provides a better map for all.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 5:40 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:
peregrinator wrote:

Ok, I just picked a couple popular spots that have some interesting terrain.
Maps I've captured are:

Hope this helps.

Sorry, Huntsman, it doesn't actually help because I got confused about which post was referring to V6 Garmin mapping and mistakenly thought it was you, when it was in fact englishmanbo.

It was pointed out earlier that V5 is deficient, so I was hoping for a comparison between OSM and Garmin V6.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble