The Personalities of Bushwalkers

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Which type are you?

ESTJ
3%
ESTP
No votes
ISTJ
13%
ISTP
No votes
ESFJ
3%
ESFP
No votes
ISFJ
26%
ISFP
3%
ENFJ
11%
ENFP
5%
INFJ
3%
INFP
5%
ENTJ
3%
ENTP
5%
INTJ
5%
INTP
16%

Total votes : 38

Postby Suz » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 2:04 pm

So umm I'm a super duper enthusiast of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and I thought I'd ask here what type others were and see if there were commonalities in personality amongst the bushwalk.com cohort.

I know a lot of people are sceptical about the value and accuracy of personality tests, but if there's one in the world you're willing to take, it should be this one. Prepare for the amusement and slightly strange experience of reading about your exact self on the web!

We are each 1 of 16 types, which fall into 4 broad groups of 4 types each. The groups are the:
SJs
SPs
NFs
NTs

Some types are much more common than others, e.g. those in the SJ group, and some less common, e.g. any of the NTs. The groups share some general preferences (e.g. a desire for security in SJs and a desire for knowledge in NTs).

It takes about 15 mins to answer the questions and then you can obtain your results. The test is free to do and you are not required to enter any personal / private contact information (so you won't get any spam etc. as a result or feel that you've given away your private details to god knows who).

Take the test here: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

And enter your results in the poll :)

PS The 16 Personalities website contains really good info on the types and there is a YouTuber, Michael Pierce, who does excellent but longish vids on each type, called the 16 types and latterly, the 16 types revisited: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6 ... lTrwnI1bCA

There are also many humorous websites to discuss all the many and various ways in which you are nightmarish and a complete failure ;) But I won't overload this post with them here.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: The Personalities of Bushwalkers

Postby north-north-west » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 6:14 pm

Suz wrote:(e.g. a desire for security in SJs and a desire for knowledge in NTs).

And if you have both?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 6:31 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Suz wrote:(e.g. a desire for security in SJs and a desire for knowledge in NTs).

And if you have both?

You must be balanced, NNW! :D
You can be a T and a J, of course. Maybe borderline S/N? What do you reckon, Suz?

I have found the old Myers Briggs indicator pretty helpful at times, like coming to understand my one-time boss. I thought he was just being ridiculously obtuse, till I realised he was an extreme N (like 3 students in the class who got him), and I was an extreme S (most of the students were more like me than him). Once the light dawned, my challenge became how to draw all the unconscious steps out of him. Everybody was a lot happier. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 6:42 pm

Interesting, but not that accurate. Of course, it's self-assessment, which can be tricky, but there are things about me that are totally the opposite of what the summation says. Or so I think . . .

The fact is, some of us are just too *&%$#! complicated to be stuffed into any shoebox, no matter how big and well furnished it is.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 7:59 pm

No surprises for me, ISTJ-T. Pretty much identical to previous self assessments. I guess that's why I enjoy walking solo etc...
A former boss and friend was almost obessesed with Myer-Briggs. He used to try and categorise everyone he met by observing their behaviour and guessing their MBTI. His conclusions were often hilarious.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Suz » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:22 pm

north-north-west wrote:

And if you have both?

I meant a preference for one over the other. My SJ description was probably too brief and therefore weak - SJs are generally speaking, security seeking people with a conventional morality who want to uphold traditions and who follow established 'tried and tested' pathways. These are the people who get antsy when 'the rules are not obeyed'.

NTs primarily want to nerd it up and research ad infinitum any subject that takes their fancy. They like to acquire a deep knowledge of something and then debate the crap out them. They get fed up easily with people who haven't really 'thought things through'. They also generally learn by arguing (in addition to reading up on stuff).
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Suz » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 8:53 pm

north-north-west wrote:Interesting, but not that accurate. Of course, it's self-assessment, which can be tricky, but there are things about me that are totally the opposite of what the summation says. Or so I think . . .

The fact is, some of us are just too *&%$#! complicated to be stuffed into any shoebox, no matter how big and well furnished it is.

Every person is a seething mass of contradictions but generally I find people feel the test is pretty spot on. I have met a few people felt their results were only partly true. It was not clear whether they were resistant to the results of their own type, or to the strictures of typing as a concept and I didn't want to press them. But in your case, you seem to reject your own results, although I actually thought of you (and one or two others) when I put my qualifier about scepticism in the OP ;) Haha.

As Tortoise says, it may be a borderline preference on one aspect or another. That test should have given you the strength of preferences for each spectrum. Unless the weak preference is on the E/I spectrum, it is going to give you a very different function stack* and therefore a very different outlook.

*I didn't mention function stacks in my OP as it gets a bit complicated but they are very important.

There is a part of me wants to throw you in the INTP pile ...but it is very hard to have any clear idea of people over the interwebs.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby RonK » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 10:36 pm

My observation is that Myers-Briggs is about useful and reliable as the signs of the Zodiac when it comes to assessing personality.
People tend to identify with the traits that fit their self-image and discard the rest.
Last edited by RonK on Sun 20 Aug, 2017 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby taswegian » Sat 19 Aug, 2017 10:39 pm

I attended a personal development course once and I found these type of questionnaires somewhat bemusing.
The bloke told me I had a calculating analytical mind.
That first question to me isn't black and white, but conditional on the people/person around me. Similar with question 5. "it depends...." I may get fired up or remain silent.
Not sure what category that puts me in.
I'm with NNW on her comments re the shoebox
taswegian

Postby north-north-west » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 6:28 pm

taswegian wrote:I...to me isn't black and white, but conditional on the people/person around me. Similar with question 5. "it depends...." I may get fired up or remain silent. ...

A lot of the questions had me going either 'It depends' or 'both'. Like the one about comforting a friend who is in distress. If there is practical help you can give, you do that, but emotional support and comfort also. It's not an either/or thing for me.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 6:47 pm

Asking about personality types of bushwalkers. I'd think it's independent of MB personality types as none of them are pathological. Unless one is an outdoor agoraphobic, there's nothing that stops one bushwalking and enjoying the outdoors.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 8:21 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Asking about personality types of bushwalkers. I'd think it's independent of MB personality types as none of them are pathological. Unless one is an outdoor agoraphobic, there's nothing that stops one bushwalking and enjoying the outdoors.

I'm sure it means something that 16/18 (so far) would prefer to wander alone or with a small group in the bush rather than stay at home and party with a big group of friends. :roll:
The other personality subgroups are probably not relevant to bushwalkers, except where some types are incompatible and should not go to remote locations together.
MrWalker

Postby Suz » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 10:36 pm

taswegian wrote:I attended a personal development course once and I found these type of questionnaires somewhat bemusing.
That first question to me isn't black and white, but conditional on the people/person around me. Similar with question 5. "it depends...." I may get fired up or remain silent.

Could put you in the ambivert category. Or you might be e.g. the extroverted introvert type, the INFP. Although INFP is certainly not your type if the statement about a calculating and analytical mind is true.

Of course as you would have seen the test allows you to choose your preference on a sliding scale for each question and then it accumulates and calculates your totals for all questions relevant to that specific area. Note that there are 50 or so questions but it is only asking about 5 different areas. So while you may feel the results are inaccurate or too restrictive (which in your case they may well be), they are at least founded upon responses to a slew of questions on that particular spectrum (E/I S/N F/T J/P and their addition of A/T.

I have clear preferences, and my type explains me pretty exactly, I can't relate at all to the sentiment of being shoeboxed, but I can certainly accept that you feel that way.
Last edited by Suz on Sun 20 Aug, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Suz » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 11:04 pm

Mostly true GPSG but it's still fun to enquire! Definitely skewed towards introverts so far tho as MrW mentioned.

Also it's heartening to know there are so many ISFJs out on the trails as it means no one will go hungry :D Being prone to general worry and having a love of baking, ISFJs are probably fearing/hoping to find a hungry hiker on the trail to nourish and nurture...so they over-burden themselves with loads of gourmet home dehydrated meals, in case their expectations are met.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taswegian » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 11:05 pm

Suz I'm not into knocking or bagging anyone out and my post wasn't intended as a cynical attempt to mock either.
I have been 'exposed' to these type of personal assessments at several levels of my 'professional development'. (that's what it was called)
Another such event left me seriously concerned as to the damage it wrought (havoc) when several very well meaning people decided who was what and proceeded to put their new found knowledge to action.
Some were way off the mark and it was comical at times, but biggest concern was some took it upon themselves to tell others how they had it wrong and they weren't an A but were instead a B.
That's when it went off the rails and what should have been some useful interaction and friendly times became quite uncomfortable, even worse.
Life is complicated enough, people are complex beings, circumstances vary dramatically.

My lifelong vocation involves collecting data, analsing it, sifting the wheat from the chaff and making decisions.
That probably reflects in my choices I'd make that depend on circumstances and give rise to varying responses across them.

As to bushwalking. I don't mind company, but prefer to walk alone.
Dealing with people everyday in good and difficult circumstances is not easy and walking, and doing it alone, is something I find rewarding and relaxing.
Plus my love of photography and just the sheer pleasure of stopping to observe and savor this wonderful planet and its precious places we have around here results in many stops which I know would hinder others and perhaps cause friction.
taswegian

Postby Suz » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 11:29 pm

taswegian wrote:Suz I'm not into knocking or bagging anyone out and my post wasn't intended as a cynical attempt to mock either.

I did not take it as such...at all. Sweat not.

Sorry that you had bad experiences in the past...someone who was administering the test should have controlled all that kind of negative behaviour.

taswegian wrote:My lifelong vocation involves collecting data, analsing it, sifting the wheat from the chaff and making decisions.
That probably reflects in my choices I'd make that depend on circumstances and give rise to varying responses across them.

Yeah, all reasonable. I guess part of the idea of the test is not to think too hard about each question and go with the first response that comes to mind. In essence, the test is only assessing a preference to think in a particular way, it does not mean to impose absolutes.

I'm quite happy to accept it as pseudo-science, but it still entertains and fascinates me.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 2:05 am

MrWalker wrote:I'm sure it means something that 16/18 (so far) would prefer to wander alone or with a small group in the bush rather than stay at home and party with a big group of friends. :roll:

Selection bias? Maybe the other types are out there walking and not bothered to post in a forum... [WINKING FACE]
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 7:22 am

Then there are those that find it extremely offensive that a judgement can be made on the type of person you are based on a few questions.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby north-north-west » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 7:52 am

Suz wrote:
north-north-west wrote:Interesting, but not that accurate. Of course, it's self-assessment, which can be tricky, but there are things about me that are totally the opposite of what the summation says. Or so I think . . .

Every person is a seething mass of contradictions but generally I find people feel the test is pretty spot on. I have met a few people felt their results were only partly true. It was not clear whether they were resistant to the results of their own type, or to the strictures of typing as a concept and I didn't want to press them. But in your case, you seem to reject your own results...

I'm grinding my teeth here.

No, I don't 'reject' the result; that makes it sound like I am determined to refuse to accept that it could have any accuracy. I am not speaking out of blind prejudice.
Despite some parts being spot on it is inaccurate in certain key points for a number of reasons, not least because when I am confronted by something like this I try to make as objective an assessment as possible, which means the highly emotional parts of me are shunted aside and the analytical aspects take over. And, as I have already said, too many questions don't allow for the 'it depends on the circumstances' attitude which is usually my default setting, nor is there the possibility of applying both options in any of the questions.

taswegian said it far more politely than I can right now, because there are few things that get up my nose more thoroughly than someone ((even a supposedly impartial and impersonal test) telling me that they know me better than I do. And now I'm pissing off back into my photo files before I lose my temper completely and put a fist through the screen.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 11:03 am

I agree with NNW and others. The answers do not fall neatly into either this or that. I found the questions somewhat superficial and far too brief to give an informed result. Some questions did not apply much. NNW, it's best not to punch the screen. OHS rules mandate that a hammer be used, as this avoids hurting the knuckles. Also, it's a very good idea to wear safety glasses and protective clothing.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 11:39 am

1) Like most psychology studies, this again is a population based criteria and assessment, so will be generally correct. 2) This is a freebie, not a $500 administered formal assessment. So take it as a guide and use it as such. Personally I find these test are great in helping to better understand oneself than for other purposes.

Use it knowing the limitations and applicability, then maximum value can be extracted.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rurik » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 11:35 am

This is a fairly limited test given the number of questions it has. I have done the full Myers Briggs test and it has hundreds of questions plus a lie detector built into it. Mind you this test was OK for me though the numbers were out and it out one of my characteristics the other way. Though I am border line for that one anyone so it is not biggie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rurik
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby walk2wineries » Wed 11 Oct, 2017 11:39 pm

taswegian wrote:I attended a personal development course once and I found these type of questionnaires somewhat bemusing.

Yeah, I got sent on one. Got told I was left-brain dominant, strong on analytical and concrete thinking, which I thought was a Good Thing. Then they set a bunch of exercises to test right-brain dominance and I did well in those. Happily explained to the "right dominants" of the class (all men) that as I was female, the "10%" of my brain that was right-dominant" (the instructor's assessment) was going to be better than the 60% or more of theirs that was right dominant. Went down like a rat sandwich.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Neo » Fri 13 Oct, 2017 10:52 pm

enfj or protagonist going by the questionnaire
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Between Bushwalks