Mavora/Greenstone/Routeburn + Around the Mountain cycle

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby dclayw » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 11:56 pm

Starting to plan another NZ trip later this year, tramp + cycle. Planning to tramp the Mavora Lakes Walkway starting at Mavora Lakes, into the Greenstone Valley then onto the Routeburn Track, finishing at Routeburn Shelter. I have walked all over the Routeburn and adjacent valleys and lakes but never the Greenstone or Mavora Lakes. I have not seen many trip reports on the Mavora Lakes Walkway, anyone done it? Any info would be appreciated, condition of the track, bogginess etc etc. I'd like to know because my wife will be with me on this trip.

Also a question on the around the mountain cycle trail starting in Kingston and finishing at Walter Peak Station. There has been some trouble with the development of that cycle trail and there is currently one section not finished yet, between Central Station and Mavora Lakes. That section is about 35Km or so and currently goes along the Mavora Lakes Rd. Apparently most people shuttle this bit, but I'd rather not do that. Has any one ridden that section. What's the condition of that road normally like for bikes, and is there much traffic on it Nov/Dec.

Thanks
dclayw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Mavora/Greenstone/Routeburn + Around the Mountain cycle

Postby dclayw » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:01 am

Forgot to ask. How busy are the Mavora Lakes Walkeay huts Nov/Dec, I think there are a couple of 8 bunkers.
dclayw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 4:45 am

if you havent booked the routeburn and you're going this season, you're probably too late to get a place on it.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby RonK » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:58 am

I cycled the Around the Mountains route in April, from Mt Nicholas Station. Starting from this end means I had to ride up the Von Hill but avoided the wind into Mossburn.

The road conditions along the unfinished section were good. There are some corrugations and it's dusty but quite rideable. Not much traffic but no doubt there would be more in summer.

Here is my journal post for the day. Also read the previous day for the section from Mt Nicholas.

Great Southern Highlands Circuit
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby dclayw » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:37 pm

wayno wrote:if you havent booked the routeburn and you're going this season, you're probably too late to get a place on it.

Tenting either in the Valley of the Trolls or North Branch, or on the other side of Lake Mckenzie, there are plenty of options.
dclayw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dclayw » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:49 pm

RonK wrote:The road conditions along the unfinished section were good. There are some corrugations and it's dusty but quite rideable. Not much traffic but no doubt there would be more in summer.

Thanks for the link Ron. Rough and dusty doesn't sound like much fun, although I would rather ride it then shuttle it.
dclayw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 4:33 am

the other side of lake mackenzie is a boulder field and the rangers can take a dim view because its not technically far enough from a great walk to allow camping. they are cracking down on illegal camping its a big problem, make sure you're 500m away from the track and its facilities and side tracks, and that is easier said than done in a lot of places around there. unfortunately illegal campers are giving other people a bad name, i've seen them leave all their rubbish behind, take advantage of walking the track for nothing and expect to be able to leave their rubbish behind, the rules are that everything has to be packed out, theres no rubbish bins at the huts or campsites. Europeans are more used to more facilities around, but from what i've heard theres also a lot of problems in europe on more popular routes with people just doing their toilet out in the open and not covering it up afterwards or randomly dumping rubbish... the rangers are over worked as it is, they dont want to play policeman but they are made to with their job. the popularity of the great walks will be their undoing.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to New Zealand