Grampians.June 10 & 11th 2017. Mt. Rosea & Brigg's Bluff.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Grampians.June 10 & 11th 2017. Mt. Rosea & Brigg's Bluff.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 1:59 pm

Grampians.June 10 & 11th 2017. Mt. Rosea (circuit via Burma fireline track ) & Brigg's Bluff.
A trip report is coming soon with photos !!!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: Grampians.June 10 & 11th 2017. Mt. Rosea & Brigg's Bluf

Postby Avatar » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:44 pm

I did these as separate trips over 2 days many years ago. Great in early spring. Beautiful area so hope to see lots of snaps.
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 13 Jun, 2017 11:35 pm

Yes, these walks were completed in sunny and dry June weather as two separate day hikes. The full report is coming and when I get my photos [which are on film] developed then you will see evidence of what a magnificent region it is to walk in.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:10 pm

On June 10th and 11th 2017 three VNPA walkers and I went to hike in the Grampians. The Mt. Rosea walk can be walked as a loop although P.V. at Hall's Gap don't encourage it because you have to walk on a one way black top tourist road for about 1 km at the end. The whole track and circuit from the Rosea carpark on the Silverband Falls road is well signposted and new yellow arrows have been affixed along the whole way.
We found the views to be outstanding and the fog lay in the valleys as we ascended , giving one the impression of being on a big old jet air liner , high above the clouds. The summit was busy , what with being a long weekend , sunny and clear and all. The descent down to the Burma Fire line track was not as scenic as the way up to the escarpment is, but the track is easy to follow and is generally well cleared because it is now part of the P.V. "Iconic walks" Grampians Peaks route in the Grampians. The junction at the Burma fire line track is signposted and the end of that track where it meets the macadamized Silverband Falls road is also newly signposted so people without maps and compass skills can find their way back to the car park and starting point.
It was an excellent day walk. We went back to the Hall's Gap YHA Eco hostel and relaxed.
The next day we went up to Beehive Falls car park in the early morning fog and headed for Brigg's Bluff. This is a spectacular day walk and although shorter in terms of kilometres compared with the Mt. Rosea circuit , the rock scrambling , steep ascent and more remote feeling the area has makes it a winner. The route has fresh yellow arrows
along the whole route .The summit of Brigg's bluff was windy and very cold . We could see the world below us , again in a sea of low cloud .We set off at about 0930 and got back to the car park at about 1450. We stopped for lunch just past the Mud Hut creek hike in camping area. The stream is flowing and we didn't see anyone in this area whereas plenty of ill equipped walkers were heading up to Briggs Bluff well after 1300 as we returned. What with the days being very short in terms of daylight in mid June mean an early start and a sensible return time all make for happy and safe hikers.
The scenery and the clear skies all made for another enjoyable day of walking and killer photography. Next year we shall tackle the Fortress and Mt . Thackeray . Photos are coming soon.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 16 Jun, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 15 Jun, 2017 5:19 pm

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 9:17 am

PCV there are some nice photos there thanks for the report and pictures.

I enjoy seeing your reports and pictures and glad you post them but have to politely say I am very tired, as I would guess a lot could possibly be, of your need to, putting it bluntly, sh!tcan anyone who is inexperienced. Anyone contemplating joining up or wanting to ask for information would be put off by any comments of this type regardless of who they come from.
We all started at the beginning and I would hazard a guess, had very little idea when we did.

I share your concerns over the chances if not serious risks people take but you're kind of preaching to the confirmed on bushwalks in a lot of ways. Relax a bit mate, it's great the way you lead the VNPA groups and I'm sure lots enjoy your pictures and information.

Keep on walking "travels by foot" (is it???)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi
I will desist with the tiresome usage of pejorative epithets and smarty pants remarks and keep on topic. Thanks for the feedback. :wink:
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 4:01 pm

The photos were taken by fellow walker Katherine Isbrandt . My grainy analogue photos are coming soon.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 10:21 pm

Here are some of my photos from that trip.
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/113 ... _-Hql9_bLg
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Fri 23 Jun, 2017 5:56 am

Another nice bunch of photos PCV. The slightly sepia tone of the analogue photos suits the Grampians.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes