Brothers Point | Isle of Skye, Scotland

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Brothers Point | Isle of Skye, Scotland

Postby stoogest » Wed 17 May, 2017 5:27 pm

There are so many incredible bushwalking options on the Isle of Skye. The weather may be unpredictable at best, but one thing you CAN rely on is the sensational landscape and views!

There are a handful of walks that just about every tourist will put on their 'to do' list, but this one to Brothers Point doesn't seem to get anywhere near the same exposure. Why? I'm not sure, because it's an absolute gem and you will often have the headland all to yourself (a rarity on the Isle of Skye!).

Hiking to Brothers Point

Have any of you also completed this bushwalk? Thoughts?

Photographer and bushwalker
For hiking trails we've completed around the world: Fork and Foot
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Brothers Point | Isle of Skye, Scotland

Postby andrewa » Wed 17 May, 2017 7:59 pm

Wow. What an amazing picture. Spent some time on Skye 30 yrs ago. Just beautiful . Would love to go back.

Thanks for posting.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby stoogest » Wed 17 May, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks Andrew, yes it is a truly beautiful corner of the world. Second only to Tasmania :D
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Wed 17 May, 2017 8:18 pm

Not sure. I have Scottish ancestory!

And I have some great memories of evening walks up mountains around Glen Nevis to watch the sun set, when I was a medical student, whereas my major memory of Tassie was an epic trip to Federation Peak via the Picton Range when I finished medicine, which I found horribly stressful.

I'd love to go back to the West Coast of Scotland...which is why I love your post.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stoogest » Wed 17 May, 2017 8:33 pm

We were lucky enough to have the opportunity to drive the entire east/north/west coast of northern Scotland via what they are calling the NC500 route. As soon as we got to the west coast we couldn't help but see very close similarities to the Tasmanian geology and terrain. So spectacular.

I could see us spending some more time in Scotland, there were trails marked all over the place that looked really enticing. It would need to be in the warmer months though (minus the midges if possible!), as it was getting bitterly cold as we left.
stoogest
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Wed 17 May, 2017 8:48 pm

As a medical student in 1985, I spent 5 weeks "at" the hospital at Fort William - but, as a typical student, I spent much of my time away from the hospital exploring the surrounds. Spent most of my time climbing the various peaks around Glen Nevis ( it was MRch when I was there ), drive all over the west coast, particularly loving the Applecross Peninsula, but spent time in Skye ( in those days there was no bridge, just a ferry from the Kyke of Lochalshe ), Mull, and up toward Ullapool. It was probably one of the best times in my life, hence my affinity for your post.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes