Exploring the Jagungal Wilderness using a magic wand

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Exploring the Jagungal Wilderness using a magic wand

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 8:34 pm

My fly rod is a magic wand to me because it takes me to magical places and here is a report on a recent trip in to the Jagungal Wilderness over the Australia Day long weekend.
Warnsey turned up as pre-arranged at Bradleys Hut whilst I was drying off my fishing gear late in the afternoon after 4 days solo exploring the closer creeks in the area in which I had some fantastic fishing.After our greetings we looked at the sun and decided to head down to the Tumut along the Farm Ridge trail to get a few KM's in to our trip and camp for the night on the river which I had checked out over the past few days.Because it was only a quick stroll down to the river we packed a few extra treats to have that night including fresh cream and custard to have with the Christmas pudding and an extra couple of beers to have with our steak.
Whilst the beers were chilling in the creek we fished the evening rise with a few fish about but they were too good for us so we prepared and enjoyed a feast in a wonderful campsite.
The next morning I witnessed the mist rising and falling in the valley creating a wonderful show until Warnsey finally alighted from his tent and the sun came out burning away the fog almost immediately with a fantastic blue sky day ahead of us.More treats with bacon,hash browns and a capaccino for breakfast.
We finally hit the trail with the slog up to Farm Ridge very visible from our campsite and had been haunting me all morning.Once up to the ridge it was pleasant walking and was quickly at the Grey Mare Junction.Then it was off to O'Keefes to set up camp and have lunch.
After lunch we decided to try a couple of creeks in the area with mixed success in some very tight technical water.
The next day saw us heading off to Mackeys crossing some nice creeks on the way and trying with no success to find Farm Ridge ruins.We did stop for lunch under the shade of a lovely old snow gum unaffected by the fires overlooking a magnificent creek with me salivating to wet a line in the pristine water.But alas Warnsey discovered there was only galaxids in the creek on his first cast whilst I was still setting up.I tried in vain also for a couple of minutes as the creek looked great.There was obviously a barrier downstream but that would have to wait for another trip.
It was off to Mackeys to set up camp and make the calzone dough before exploring another creek in the area.It was a tough cross country bush bash to find the creek but this one was worth it after the disappointment earlier in the day.
Back to the hut for calzones and creek chilled beer followed by capaccino and chocolate chip cake(Thanks Sonya for the recipe out of a BushwalkAustralia EMag)There was another bushwalker camped nearby and we bored him of tales of the one that got way whilst sharing the cake with Mike.
The next day saw us venturing further east past Crooks Racecourse but they must not have been on this Saturday :o as nobody was about.So we ventured further on in search of more creeks and trout.We did find one eventually which was another lovely high plains creek.The highlight and fish of the trip was caught by Warnsey out of Warnes" Tarn(I don't think it is on the map but it should be as there is more action there than at Crooks Racecourse.)It was a lovely little backwater separated from the main creek due to the drop in the river flow about the size of a large living room in which there was only one occupant.
It was then back to camp at Mackeys and we had more guests to enthrall with our fishing tales :wink: who were getting towards the end of their AAWT adventure.We educated them on some of the finer points of flyfishing and I still don't think they believed half the crap I told them :shock:
The next day dawned and after a lovely sunrise and brekky it was time to hit the trail back to the car which was fairly non eventful apart from the slog up to Round Mountain hut out of the Tumut Valley.
Pictures to come tomorrow night.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Exploring the Jagungal Wilderness using a magic wand

Postby puredingo » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 10:02 am

Sounds like a great trip, looking forward to the photos.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 7:34 pm

BILD1680 (2).JPG
A lovely campsite on the Tumut
Attachments
BILD1699.JPG
View from the dunny at Okeefes
Last edited by MeanderingFlyFisher on Wed 08 Feb, 2017 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 7:38 pm

BILD1733.JPG
The fish of the trip from Warnes Tarn
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 7:44 pm

BILD1696.JPG
We got close to Jagungal but until they put a stream full of trout up there I am not sure I'll get there
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 7:46 pm

BILD1736.JPG
I thought we were almost fishing in circles
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 7:55 pm

BILD1709.JPG
We fished some wondrous small creeks
Last edited by MeanderingFlyFisher on Wed 08 Feb, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 8:01 pm

BILD1746.JPG
The climb back to Round Mountain Hut looms ahead
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 8:10 pm

BILD1692 (Copy).JPG
An upstream barrier
BILD1692 (Copy).JPG (204.06 KiB) Viewed 39583 times
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnesy » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 7:16 pm

Was a great trip. I'll add a few more photos
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ofuros » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 2:37 am

I don't mind chasing a few trout myself....looks like a
great trip MeanderingFlyFisher. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 12:15 pm

I am curious why you went back the same way to Round Mtn. I went on foot in a circuit in Jan. 2017. I returned via Round Mtn. Track . I crossed a number of streams en route and the route is flatter than the down then up over the Tumut river along the Farm Ridge track is.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Fri 10 Feb, 2017 8:02 pm

A good question and I will try and answer it the best I can.
First of all let me state that I am a very passionate flyfisher and the primary use of hiking/bushwalking for me is a means of transportation.It is not the only purpose as we do see and experience some wondrous things along the journey.So most of our trips are via the most direct,shortest or quickest route.I know they can be all different but we usually go the quickest route unless there is a specific creek we want to check out on the way.So,saying that and as we were at Mackeys Hut the quickest route back to our cars was by the farm ridge trail as going back on the Round Mountain trail would have added approximately up to 10 KM's to our trip.So to be honest we didn't even consider it.
The Round Mountain trail to the Tumut is on my "possible trips in the future" list checking out any creeks along the way.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 4:46 pm

The Head waters of the Tumut River are crossed as part of the full Mt. Jag. circuit.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 12:42 pm

Is it the case that all flora and fauna are protected inside the K.N.P.? .If so then fishing would be , according to the rules of the park , not allowed.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 2:05 pm

Hmm fauna. Seems as it its OK in NSW
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/saf ... es/fishing

Swimming west of Coffs last weekend i was watching this in the water. An eel tailed catfish just circling around on the spot and nibbled a few feet walking past. About 40cm
Attachments
IMAG1837.jpg
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 6:53 pm

PCV,I am not sure where you are getting your information from but the link from Neo says about safety whilst fishing in national parks and in the NSW recreational freshwater fishing guide [urlhttp://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/600221/freshwater-recreational-fishing-guide-2016-17.pdf][/url] it names numerous locations in national parks as trout waters.Your comments are the first I have ever heard of fishing not being allowed.It would certainly stop a lot of the campers in the more popular car camping spots in KNP and would have a drastic affect on visitor numbers in the park.
Now, the Doggers we saw and heard near O'Keefes hut I am sure are another kettle of fish(pardon the pun).They had 3 dogs and no plates on their 4wd on a management only track.Somehow I don't think they were exactly playing by the rules.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 9:07 pm

Nice sounding trip. Making a long fishing weekend out of Australia Day weekend would be great - not going to happen for me, as wedding anniversary is the 28th! For the next generation of fly fishers wishing to wed, think carefully of the ramifications of your wedding date!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 8:53 am

I was merely asking the question about fishing in the KNP. Other national parks do not permit it, but since Nat. parks are often a matter of state governance these things may vary.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby climberman » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 6:28 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Is it the case that all flora and fauna are protected inside the K.N.P.? .If so then fishing would be , according to the rules of the park , not allowed.

NPWS don't own the water.
Trout are introduced.
Fishing is controlled by NSW DPI Fisheries.
Fish protection for aquatic threatened species is managed by DPI Fisheries.
Marine Parks are a different kettle of fish.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby rcaffin » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 6:49 pm

trying with no success to find Farm Ridge ruins.
How odd. The ruins are not only very visible, right near the junction, but there is a large NPWS photo sign there about the ruins.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Thu 16 Feb, 2017 7:03 pm

Roger,
My comment was a bit tongue in cheek as are a lot of things I post.Smilies do help a bit but without facial expressions,tone of voice etc it is very easy to be taken the wrong way..We did see the sign,about 1/2 a dozen old fence posts and a fire scar where it looked like people camp.I just guess I expected something a bit more substantial.Lovely spot for a homestead.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rcaffin » Tue 21 Feb, 2017 10:03 am

Hi MFF

There's a big heap of rock on the other side of the FT: that was a chimney I think.
The fence posts are some old horse or cattle yards.
'They' claim that Farm Ridge even had a phone line to Adaminiby. Could they ring for a pizza?

But yes, there's not much left today. It was all timber, and that burnt.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 7:37 pm

OK it is time for another chapter.
The hike in to Kidmans Hut had been on my bucket list for a couple of years now after Stephen or Robert planted the seed back then.Apologies for not remembering which one but guessing from the log entries I'm leaning towards Robert as he was a fairly frequent visitor.
I had always planned to do a loop but after reading Joanne's article and doing some research on this forum I decided on an out and back trip from the Gungarlin river campsite.
My regular fishing/hiking companion (Warnsey) was keen on my suggestion and we also invited Rob(Wildone I think)along.
The hike started off well with a leisurely stroll along the fire trail passing Davey's Hut along the way until we found the Teddy's Creek crossing where it became semi cross country and old track.I did have a copy of Robert's notes with me but Warnsey thought it was OK to just use his GPS app which had the old trail shown on it.So Rob and I followed Warnsey diligently through the scrub all the while knowing we were heading in roughly the right direction until coming out of the scrub we found the old ski touring tea stop which I had been calling "The Coffee Shop" and promising Rob a coffee when we got there.Rob was far from impressed with my sense of humour after doing it a bit tough through the scrub and thought that the 2 old bits of corrugated iron needed some work to make it in to the coffee shop.We kept following the GPS and rough track up to the cairns through Brassy Gap and this is where we went down the wrong valley coming out close to the Burrungubuggee River as this was where Kidmans was shown on Warnsey' Gps.After scatching our heads and wondering what happened to the hut a voice struggling in the background wondered why we hadn't gone over to the hut he saw on the way.It turns out the hut was around 300-400 metres from where it was shown on the gps and the track(which we were to learn on the way back)wasshown at least 15 metres from where it was.
After getting to the hut and giving it a bit of a tidy up as it looked like a possum or something else had knocked over and smashed a few bottles and kerosine lantern,then set up camp and headed off for a fish.Good signs early as we spooked a trout on the way down to the river.With all of us getting a few trout on the board before heading back to camp.
After tea we lit a little fire in the hut and it was then that this charming little hut came to life recollecting the days events and the 6 snakes we saw on the hike in.
The next day we went off exploring the Dead Horse Creek with it changing to a very steep bouldery stream very quickly until we found the upstream barrier and there was no more trout.We had managed several trout along the way with Rob getting a ripper in the last pool.
It was then off to fish the Burrungubuggee so we went cross country to just above the gorge.We then fished our way back to the Back Burrungubuggee junction once again getting some trout along the way.
We did find what I thoght was an old guaging station but the others thought was an old mine along with a little pyramid shaped block of concrete obviously put there by aliens.
Tea again and another great night recounting the days events by the fire.
The next morning and it was time to hike out for a night at Daveys fishing the Gungarlin that afternoon.I suggested to Warnsey that we load up Roberts GPS marks in his app and we(especially Rob) were so glad that we did as it was much easier than the scrub bash in and Rob even enjoyed the "Coffee Shop".It is amazing how much difference a few metres make and strongly recommend using known GPS marks.
Arriving at Daveys Hut and after lunch we headed down to the Gungarlin with it being a much bigger stream than I envisaged.With water levels low the fishing was reasonably tough but we did manage a few trout and even a couple for tea.With the trout expertly prepared by Warnsey marinated in maplesyrup,port and sliced lemon wrapped in foil cooked on the coals it was a great way to end the trip.
Photos to come.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 7:47 pm

The hike along the trail was easy
Attachments
D4B15907-13E5-4051-BD27-B06B69214E2D.jpeg
The hike along the trail was easy
D4B15907-13E5-4051-BD27-B06B69214E2D.jpeg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 32666 times