Ent_World - OSM maps for Garmins

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Ent_World - OSM maps for Garmins

Postby andrewp » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 1:29 pm

I think I have resolved the speed and ordering issues with Victoria and Tasmania. On my Etrex 30 the screen does a refresh in about 5secs (e.g. when you scroll across a full screen width). The refresh time is similar for the other states.

I have uploaded new versions for all states using current OSM data. You can download from:
http://tinyurl.com/osm-maps
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 2:18 pm

Cheers for the update Andrew!
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby wander » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:26 pm

Some where along the way I have missed how to get these ing files recognised as maps by Basecamp. any pointers as to where these instructions are?

Plenty of instructions to get them onto my GPS, but I have no need for that.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby keithy » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:39 pm

wander wrote:Some where along the way I have missed how to get these ing files recognised as maps by Basecamp. any pointers as to where these instructions are?

Plenty of instructions to get them onto my GPS, but I have no need for that.

wander -I've posted for someone else here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14234&start=120#p265757

But it is easier to copy the img files to a \Garmin directory on an SD card or USB flash drive, and it shows up on Basecamp (on a PC at least).
keithy

Postby wander » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 4:31 pm

Brilliant keithy, it works. Thanks very much.

But how do I get Basecamp to add the map to it's pile on the hard drive? Or is that un-possible without creating a virtual drive?
wander

Postby keithy » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 6:46 pm

wander wrote:But how do I get Basecamp to add the map to it's pile on the hard drive? Or is that un-possible without creating a virtual drive?

Not without creating a virtual drive, or having the original Gmapi files the img file was created from, I'm afraid.

So what I do when I want to plan a trip using an img file on SDcard is to either copy the file to a USB flash drive or SDcard and it shows up in Basecamp that way.
keithy

Postby wander » Wed 26 Aug, 2015 9:31 am

The USB with the map files uses 1 USB slot, then I plug my Fenix GPS in and that uses the other, and the mouse gets put to one side. Grrr tiny laptop with only 2 USB ports.

Well at least I have maps under my tracks and way points now, much better than a blank screen, so thanks again for the tips keithy.
wander

Postby Webguy » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 10:14 pm

If you have a garmin, and are just after walking/4WD tracks derived from the OSM data, you may like this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6oc9tgm2eotg ... s.img?dl=0

There is a small team of us slowly mapping the Blue Mountains tracks, but this does contain ALL of Aus walking tracks and 4WD tracks.

This one is a couple of months old and a new one will be available soonish, we are still mapping new stuff in to get ready to output another mapset.

It aint perfect, but it is damn handy.

Enjoy
Webguy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wander » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 9:17 am

Might be a bit off track here but I'm looking, well I found the OSM maps for Japan at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ and have managed to download and get them to work. But the maps lack contours. Is this an operator error at my end or do the maps not typically have contours.

Or option B is does anyone know where I can find an OSM map of Japan (Hokkaido only) with contours?

Yes I have searched but not really come up with anything useful yet.
wander

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 11:26 am

Fundamentally OSM does not have topo data. It's usually third parties who combine the topo data with OSM, eg. the 'OSM cycle map' projects.

https://openmtbmap.org

Otherwise you can see on the site you linked to that they are working towards adding topo data. Guess it'll happen in the medium term. No info on the quality of the topo data though.

No knowledge of Japan. Also bear in mind that some countries still withhold their topo data, as a national security concern. Not sure if Japan falls in that basket.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks GPSG. Given I can buy Japan Govt mapping topos the data is available at a certain level.

It seems odd to me that contours are the last thing to add to a mapping process, it is the 1st thing I want out of a map and thinking about other uses it is pretty fundamental. But there you go.

I've now found a Japanese site that appears to have contours, but so far no luck it making actually show me a map with contours. Maybe something was lost in translation.
http://tmz.skr.jp/data/gmap.html Is anyone else able to get contours out of this persons maps?
wander

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 07 Mar, 2016 6:16 pm

Good find Wander! The good news is that you've found the right source and you just need to d/l and install the correct file.

Steps are,
- D/L the file 'gmapsupp_160222cntr.zip' (the '160222' is obviously the build date).
- Unzip on your computer and rename the resultant file from 'gmapsupp.img' to something like 'Japan-contour_gmapsupp.img'.
- Mount your Garmin on your desktop and move 'Japan-contour_gmapsupp.img' to with the /Garmin directory (approx 860Mb).
- Start up your Garmin BaseCamp while keeping the GPS drive mounted and you should be able to see the newly installed OSM map with STRM3 topo data overlay (20m). Or dismount the GPS drive and startup your Garmin, go to the map options and select your just installed map for display... Voila!

PS.
- The file 'gmapsupp_160222.zip' in the left column is the same OSM map build but without topo overlay.
- I am not sure of those files in the Dropbox acct but suspect they could be the topo overlay and 'may' be able to be used with plain OSM map files. They looked to be broken up by geographic grids but I didn't bother to try them.

Have fun!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gullivers3 » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 8:24 am

hi all,would someone be kind enough to post a link to Andrewa's osm maps?
not sure if I am confusing him with andrewap who has also posted a link to osm?
phil
Gullivers3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 8:58 am

It's andrewp. The link is listed 12 posts above, the tinyurl one.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gullivers3 » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 12:55 pm

thanks Andrew.did see it but not sure if right one. a large file, would like to place image straight onto Garmin sd card.
any tips as to upload relevant tas sections.
phil
Gullivers3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby keithy » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 1:17 pm

Gullivers3 wrote:did see it but not sure if right one. a large file, would like to place image straight onto Garmin sd card.
any tips as to upload relevant tas sections.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct file?

Andrew's dropbox is linked in his post here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14234&start=150#p268841

The file you want for Tas is called OSM-AU-TAS.img and it should be 205.03 MB.

Copy it to your Garmin Handheld in either the \Garmin directory on the unit itself, or the \Garmin directory on the SD card.

Then make sure it is enabled in the setup section of your handheld GPS.
keithy

Postby Gullivers3 » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 4:25 pm

thanks Keithy worked a charm.
phil
Gullivers3
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby scroggin » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 9:32 pm

To anyone that can help,
For some reason the OSM-AU Routable Victoria 2 ( 61040102) found here http://www.osmaustralia.org/garminroute.php does not work on BaseCamp or my GPS. The other two nos 1 & 3 work fine. Don't know what's going on. Help please?
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Sat 09 Apr, 2016 3:00 pm

scroggin wrote:To anyone that can help,
For some reason the OSM-AU Routable Victoria 2 ( 61040102) found here http://www.osmaustralia.org/garminroute.php does not work on BaseCamp or my GPS. The other two nos 1 & 3 work fine. Don't know what's going on. Help please?

scroggin - I had a try of the OSM-AU Routable Victoria 2 from your post. It is not you. The file appears to be not correctly formed, so is not coming up on either Basecamp or GPS on my end either. The other two seem to work fine as well.
keithy

Updated OSM maps for Garmins

Postby andrewp » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 11:39 am

Hi all,

I have uploaded new versions of my OSM maps to: http://tiny.cc/osm-maps. Apologies, but I had to change the url because I was running out of room on Dropbox.

These are based on a recent download of OSM data.

As well as the OSM maps there is a new one just based on VICMAP data. It is very basic - contours, watercourses, roads and tracks. No named peaks, buildings or huts etc. I sometimes find it useful to be able to see the VICMAP tracks. Sometimes better than OSM, sometimes not.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Updated OSM maps for Garmins

Postby peregrinator » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 11:52 am

andrewp wrote:Hi all,

I have uploaded new versions of my OSM maps to: http://tiny.cc/osm-maps. Apologies, but I had to change the url because I was running out of room on Dropbox.

These are based on a recent download of OSM data.

As well as the OSM maps there is a new one just based on VICMAP data. It is very basic - contours, watercourses, roads and tracks. No named peaks, buildings or huts etc. I sometimes find it useful to be able to see the VICMAP tracks. Sometimes better than OSM, sometimes not.

Cheers
Andrew

Thank you for the info, Andrew. That saves me asking a question I was about to pose re the VICMAP file that I saw a couple of days ago on your older link. Can I now ask instead how significant are the modifications with this recent OSM data? Is the SA map still lacking hydrographic data?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi peregrinator.

I can't comment on the changes as it contains whatever has been updated in OSM, but I like to refresh the maps from time to time. In case you didn't know OSM is maintained by anyone i.e. it's the Wikipedia of mapping.

The hydro data for SA (and also NSW, NT, QLD and WA) comes from OSM, which is generally quite sparse. For VIC and TAS I have been able to incorporate hydro data from the state mapping body. I think QLD has this data available for download, but as I have never walked there it is not a great deal of motivation for me to incorporate it into a Garmin map.

SA is of more interest, but I'm not sure what is available.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 4:06 pm

Great job Andrew. Thank you! I've been contributing to the OSM database for both local as well as O/S locations. It's great to see these edits coming alive through your excellent presentation than OSM's default format.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby greyim » Sun 20 Nov, 2016 6:13 am

Yes many thanks Andrew, Entworld lives on!
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Inyanga » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 9:36 am

Hi I’m new to this site and still finding my way around, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but I’m trying to download andrewp’s OSM files from the link provided previously, but am getting the following message: “ Access to 'OSM' was limited due to high download traffic.“. There is an option to subscribe to pCloud to download the files, but there is a cost involved and so wanted to see if this is really required and if anyone else has come across this issue before. Thanks.
Inyanga
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby andrewp » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 3:00 pm

I only have a free pcloud account and there have been too many downloads this month/week. Not sure what timeframe they use, but you'll have to wait a bit.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Inyanga » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks anrewp. I did try again today and was able to download two of the maps. Many thanks for your work in creating these maps and making them available - looking forward to getting on the trails and trying them out.
Inyanga
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

OSM maps for Garmins

Postby andrewp » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi all,
I have updated my OSM maps. Download from http://tiny.cc/osm-maps.
I have also changed my cloud provider which (hopefully) will not have such restrictive download quotas.
I have also created a new NSW map - OSM-AU-NSWSIX.img. This map has contours and watercourses derived from NSW SIX maps data and everything else from OSM. Unfortunately at the moment the contours and watercourses only cover the SE corner of NSW. This is because you can only download the data by LGA and there are an awful lot of LGAs. I have just downloaded what is useful to me. You can get the whole lot at a cost of some $3,000 :shock:
Cheers
Andrew
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 7:31 pm

Great work Andrew, much appreciated.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks Andrew. Great service to the community!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble