Australia Topo gps app for Android

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Australia Topo gps app for Android

Postby ken333 » Tue 13 Sep, 2016 2:24 pm

Theres a new(ish) gps app named Australia Topo Maps by Atlogis. It includes access to Tasmania LIST maps, NSW Six maps, Queensland QTopo maps, Australia NatMap maps, OpenCycleMap as well as other topo maps and imagery. The maps are selected by tapping a box in a menu. No Urls required to be entered. Its free but has adverts, and theres a paid version that allows areas of maps to be downloaded for offline use. The maps in the free version can be used off-line if the area of interest is viewed at the required zoom level. The map tiles are stored in a cache which is then accessed when offline. It can record tracks and waypoints which can be uploaded to a computer etc. The paid version allows tracks etc to be downloaded to the app. Its simple to use compared to some other gps apps. Zooming in on a map is a bit unusual. Apart from the zoom button on the map, theres a zoom setting in Settings (top left) > Preferences > Map > Scaling. There doesnt seem to be any limitation to the size of the map tile cache. This may be coming in a future update, or the limit might be unspecified. Presumably the folders and files can be deleted manually if its taking too much storage space.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... alia&hl=en
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Australia Topo gps app for Android

Postby keithy » Sun 18 Sep, 2016 8:54 pm

ken333 - how do you find their software in comparison to Oruxmaps?

I have previously used Atlogic's Soviet Military Maps https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tmaps.free for Mongolia, Latvia and Lithuania, but found their app didn't impress me enough for me to upgrade to the paid version which allowed offline downloaded maps.

Also I noticed that Atlogic doesn't have the Victorian maps yet?
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby ken333 » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 3:32 pm

The Australia Topo app is a lot simpler and easier to use than Oruxmaps, but more limited in what it can do. I've been using OM for a while and am used to it, but I only use a fraction of the menu choices. But it does all that I want from a gps app. I didnt try the paid version of AT, so dont know how good it is for downloading maps and gpx tracks. OM is good for following downloaded gpx tracks. One feature I like in OM is dragging a map to a point of interest, and OM shows the distance and bearing from current location to that point. Eg how far is it to the end of the walk! AT doesnt do that. If you tap a point on the AT map, it shows the Lat and Lon of that point, but not distance and bearing to it. I suppose you could make a waypoint and Go To that waypoint to see distance and bearing. I saw on Google Play reviews someone asked about Vic maps. He replied they're working on it. It will be interesting to see if they come up with something.
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby keithy » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 7:55 pm

I've become quite the Oruxmaps fan, but I also only use a fraction of the menus! I rarely use the map layering and don't generally use the logging feature, although it has proven capable. I don't tend to use the WMS map files as I mainly use OSM Garmin img maps on mine, but have tried some other various raster maps that work well.

I have been testing out planning routes on Orux maps before transferring the GPX file to my Garmin handheld and it sort of works. Planning routes on OM is a little clunky, but doable, and the resulting GPX file is a bit messy in naming all the waypoints sequentially when transferring it to the Garmin.

I think when you are following a route on OM, it can tell you the distance to the end of the route rather than just the "as the crow flies" direct distance of holding down the destination. At the moment, I can get it to tell me how long to the next waypoint, but can't figure out how to tell me the distance to the end of the route. But I'm sure the option is there I just can't see it at the moment.

I am most pleased with the battery life running Oruxmaps on my devices, but this might be device specific.

I found that the Atlogic app felt like my old GPSTuner app I used to run on my Pocket PC running Windows CE. That one was also quite a simple interface as well, and limited in what it could do. Since OruxMaps can download the WMS maps as you've posted previously, I can't see the advantage of paying for the Atlogic app currently.

Still, it is nice to have different options for Android.
keithy

Postby findbuddha » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 7:40 am

AlpineQuest is another excellent Android app
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby ribuck » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 5:17 pm

findbuddha wrote:AlpineQuest is another excellent Android app

Please tell us what you consider to be its strengths and weaknesses.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby findbuddha » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 12:30 pm

ribuck wrote:
findbuddha wrote:AlpineQuest is another excellent Android app

Please tell us what you consider to be its strengths and weaknesses.

Fair enough :) Here's a quick list. I'm not affiliated with AlpineQuest in any way, just a long time user. Never tried OruxMaps FWIW (maybe I should!).

Regularly, but not unnecessarily updated.
Able to use a variety of map sources (including OSM).
Has built in facility to download maps for offline use or can load previously prepared maps from SD card.
Can load multiple GPX tracks or landmarks from SD card.
Good track recording facilities.
Compass, barometer.
Lots of options.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby tyggriffic » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 5:10 pm

I've used and enjoy the Australian Topo app. I find it has nearly everything i need. Though i've found myself using MyTrails. It lacks the nsw topo but i've found many inaccuracies with walking trails on that map that i hardly use it anymore and usually always double or triple check against other maps anyway. I've been using an app called mytrails which is more of an all round track recording app but has many capabilities i'm still exploring and playing with. You can add waypoints and all the usual gps stuff but if you go pro (for a total of #3 something if i recall) you can create custom maps to download and use offline, and it works rather well. Highly recommend checking it out.
tyggriffic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Drew » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 3:46 pm

After switching from iPhone to Android (and finding that my preferred GPS app isn't available) I've been trying Orux Maps. Despite some helpful advice on this forum I've found it very difficult to navigate (pun intended). The Australia Topo and AlpineQuest maps both look much more user friendly. Hard to know if it's worth paying for the full version though until you've used them in the field, which you can't really do without downloading a map for offline use (for which you have to pay).
Drew

Region: Victoria

Postby DetV » Sat 10 Nov, 2018 11:17 am

I have kicked off a Facebook group for support issues with the Australia Topo app. If you use this app, consider joining the group and share your experience.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/256513348340005/

Regards Det
DetV
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NSW Nordic Ski Association

Postby Neo » Sun 11 Nov, 2018 9:35 am

Avenza. Only dabbled so far. Seems quite simple.

Look at a map, use GPS to find your location, track your position.

Free version only allows 3 maps of your own. Can delete and load others.

Free nsw topo via six maps etopo.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble