AAWT area setup

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:04 pm

A month or two ago the AAWT area was created for … AAWT walk information and discussion. The next step will be to move all threads that primarily relate to the AAWT from NSW and Victoria to the AAWT area. The links such as watching a thread should remain. I've moved a few, and all seems to work. If anyone has any suggestions or a problem about a moved thread, please send me a PM.

The guideline suggested to me that appeals is as follows:
“IF the thread is about the walk AS a section of the AAWT, then it ideally should be in the AAWT section. If it's just a walk and totally independent of its AAWT status, then it doesn't matter. For instance, someone traversing the Baw Baw for a weekender is just a walk. Your trip was intended as an AAWT section walk.”

Apart from the usual discussion threads, it's proposed that there be eight sticky threads in the same order as in John Chapman's book. This would be purely for facts, no discussion. That can be below, in threads about individual trips, questions or issues.

Views on the above would be valued.
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Mark F » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 3:33 pm

Could I suggest that 8 stickies make getting to new and more dynamic threads a bit awkward especially if you are using a small screen device. Perhaps only 3 for the major sections - Walhalla - Hotham, Hotham-Thredbo and Thredbo-Tharwa.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
User avatar
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 8:14 pm
Region: Australian Capital Territory
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby neilmny » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 4:02 pm

Lophophaps wrote:...........The guideline suggested to me that appeals is as follows:
“IF the thread is about the walk AS a section of the AAWT, then it ideally should be in the AAWT section. If it's just a walk and totally independent of its AAWT status, then it doesn't matter. For instance, someone traversing the Baw Baw for a weekender is just a walk. Your trip was intended as an AAWT section walk.”.................


Lophophaps this approach makes good sense to me.

On the subject of shifting a walk on the Baw Baws just because it's partly on the AAWT.
This could make it less straight forward to access for someone new wanting to research walking on the Baw Baws.
The same would go for a walk from Hotham to Dibbins or Cope Hut to Mt Nelse and so and so on.
User avatar
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 2383
Joined: Fri 03 Aug, 2012 11:19 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Mark F » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 8:19 am

On the subject of what constitutes a walk on the AAWT, most people doing a section seem to do one or more of the larger sections Walhalla-Hotham, Hotham-Thredbo or Thredbo-Tharwa. Only having trip reports for these 10+ day sections would minimise any issues about the purpose of the trip and would limit any issues about where a trip report would be posted. I suspect that most people seeking information on the AAWT are really more interested in information about the less visited areas rather the Barries (other than water), Bogong High Plains or Main Range so lots of short trip reports along the well visited areas is not particularly useful to AAWT walkers.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
User avatar
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 8:14 pm
Region: Australian Capital Territory
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 20 Nov, 2015 4:15 pm

Mark F wrote:Could I suggest that 8 stickies make getting to new and more dynamic threads a bit awkward especially if you are using a small screen device. Perhaps only 3 for the major sections - Walhalla - Hotham, Hotham-Thredbo and Thredbo-Tharwa.


Possible. I had not considered that option. What do people think about three stickies? Should there be a poll?

neilmny wrote:Lophophaps this approach makes good sense to me.

On the subject of shifting a walk on the Baw Baws just because it's partly on the AAWT.
This could make it less straight forward to access for someone new wanting to research walking on the Baw Baws. The same would go for a walk from Hotham to Dibbins or Cope Hut to Mt Nelse and so and so on.


That is what we are attempting to achieve. The moved threads are still in their original area, NSW or Victoria. Click on the moved thread in NSW or Victoria and you end up in AAWT. So the original thread has presence. Maybe we could have this working the other way - click on an AAWT thread that mentions the AAWT peripherally and end up in NSW or Victoria. I've done this once, Christian's Hut. Worth doing this?

Note that I did not write the quoted guidelines in my first post.

Mark F wrote:On the subject of what constitutes a walk on the AAWT, most people doing a section seem to do one or more of the larger sections Walhalla-Hotham, Hotham-Thredbo or Thredbo-Tharwa. Only having trip reports for these 10+ day sections would minimise any issues about the purpose of the trip and would limit any issues about where a trip report would be posted. I suspect that most people seeking information on the AAWT are really more interested in information about the less visited areas rather the Barries (other than water), Bogong High Plains or Main Range so lots of short trip reports along the well visited areas is not particularly useful to AAWT walkers.


That's a good idea. As some (most?) people may only have a week at a time off work, should the walk duration be seven days?
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby madmacca » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 5:35 pm

Mark F wrote:Could I suggest that 8 stickies make getting to new and more dynamic threads a bit awkward especially if you are using a small screen device. Perhaps only 3 for the major sections - Walhalla - Hotham, Hotham-Thredbo and Thredbo-Tharwa.


I agree with limiting them to just 3 major sections, although I would name them Walhalla-Rumpff-Hotham, Hotham-Taylors Crossing-Thredbo, and Thredbo-Kiandra-Tharwa. I suspect that many section walkers may break it down into 6 x 1 week walks, with these as the intermediate access points. Or just logical resupply points every 110 km.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:18 pm
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby walkon » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 5:52 pm

+1 on the three major sections. Keep it simple. Members can post questions about smaller parts of the walk in these sections.

Ps. Thanks for moving my walk to its rightful home.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
User avatar
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun 24 Nov, 2013 7:03 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 6:58 pm

madmacca wrote:I agree with limiting them to just 3 major sections, although I would name them Walhalla-Rumpff-Hotham, Hotham-Taylors Crossing-Thredbo, and Thredbo-Kiandra-Tharwa. I suspect that many section walkers may break it down into 6 x 1 week walks, with these as the intermediate access points. Or just logical resupply points every 110 km.


I'm persuaded that three stickies is better than eight. Subject to room, I'm tending towards having the major peaks or locations in the headings, as this will allow people to more easily see which bit of the AAWT is in which sticky. Not all peaks and locations will be included - way too many. Could we have ranges, like The Barries, Cobberas and The Main Range in some headings? Ideas about the headings are sought.

For now I reckon that the suggestion above is fine:
Walhalla-Hotham
Hotham-Thredbo
Thredbo-Tharwa

For many, a week of walking will be nine days, two weekends. Should the minimum be seven or nine days, or something else?
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby walkon » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 7:31 pm

Lophophaps wrote:
For many, a week of walking will be nine days, two weekends. Should the minimum be seven or nine days, or something else?


I see where you are coming from. I know a number of people who have done it in week sections but I would hate to exclude the northern Tharwa-Kiandra and Kiandrh-Thredbo sections or any other legs if done in 6 days or less, which isn't hard btw. If you have to have something at all, which I'm not keen on, distance would be a better measure. That way it cover those who put in big km's and do sections in a shorter time frame.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
User avatar
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Sun 24 Nov, 2013 7:03 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 8:18 pm

walkon wrote:I see where you are coming from. I know a number of people who have done it in week sections but I would hate to exclude the northern Tharwa-Kiandra and Kiandrh-Thredbo sections or any other legs if done in 6 days or less, which isn't hard btw. If you have to have something at all, which I'm not keen on, distance would be a better measure. That way it cover those who put in big km's and do sections in a shorter time frame.


That's a good point. I don't want a hard and fast rule, just a general guide to what is and is not appropriate for the AAWT area. That said, if someone starts a thread here, unless it's way out, like walking 10 kilometres across Baw Baw, I'd be inclined to leave it.

Maybe just say the distance has to be such that the trip can be considered an AAWT trip.

When I was sorting threads to move from Victoria and NSW to AAWT it was not hard. There were a heap of threads with AAWT, and only a few about the AAWT. Maybe just do nothing and see what happens. Most people are sensible and should pick up what's appropriate.

For now I want to set up the three stickies.
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Mark F » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 7:56 pm

I think it is sensible to consider trip reports on the 6 segments of 7+- days are realistically AAWT material. The recent addition to the "Walkon on the AAWT" thread re Kiandra-Thredbo is evidence of that - really should be split to a separate thread. In sorting out the threads, threads that drift to the AAWT should stay where they are, but those that start with the AAWT should most probably be moved/copied over assuming they remain largely on topic, especially those that cover the logistical aspects of the walk.
Last edited by Mark F on Wed 25 Nov, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
User avatar
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 8:14 pm
Region: Australian Capital Territory
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Mark F » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 7:57 pm

oops - double post
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
User avatar
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 2050
Joined: Mon 19 Sep, 2011 8:14 pm
Region: Australian Capital Territory
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 8:14 pm

Mark F wrote:I think it is sensible to consider trip reports on the 6 segments of 7+- days are realistically AAWT material. The recent addition to the "Walkon on the AAWT" thread re Kiandra-Thredbo is evidence of that - really should be split to a separate thread. In sorting out the threads, threads that drift to the AAWT should stay where they are, but those that start with the AAWT should most probably be moved/copied over assuming they remain largely on topic, especially those that cover the logistical aspects of the walk.


Mark, yes, good points. How about a minimum of seven days, provided that walks that are shorter with a lot of AAWT information could be included?

I was looking at the Walkon thread when I moved it. I'm going to look at each thread carefully and see which ones could be split as you suggest. This will be done later when the alligators have receded.

I don't know how long thread names can be, so I've made two names for each of the three sections:
Walhalla to Hotham
Walhalla, Baw Baw, Rumpff Saddle, McDonald, Howitt, Viking, The Twins, Hotham
Walhalla, Rumpff Saddle, McDonald, Howitt, Viking, Hotham

Hotham to Thredbo
Hotham, Bogong, Omeo Hwy, Taylors Crossing, Cobberas, Dead Horse Gap, Thredbo
Hotham, Bogong, Omeo Hwy, Cobberas, Dead Horse Gap, Thredbo

Thredbo to Tharwa
Thredbo, Kosciuszko, Main Range, Grey Mare Hut, Jagungal, Kiandra, Murray Gap, Tharwa
Thredbo, Main Range, Grey Mare, Jagungal, Kiandra, Tharwa

The short names should fit. The long ones may not. Any comments?
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby north-north-west » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 8:52 pm

Given the number of alternative routes (especially for KNP) I reckon the three word versions would be best.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
User avatar
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 11637
Joined: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: The Asylum
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 10:21 am

north-north-west wrote:Given the number of alternative routes (especially for KNP) I reckon the three word versions would be best.


Good point. A suggestion given to me has the following options:
Between Thredbo an Tharwa (via Kiandra)
Between Thredbo, Kiandra and Tharwa.
Which of those two forms appeals? Any other comments?
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 8:49 am

Nearly a year ago this thread was created to have AAWT-related posts in one place. Thank you all for your suggestions and making it work.

There are a number of parties doing the AAWT each year, and all require food drops to be put in and retrieved. A few threads are about specific trips where walkers have asked if they can take in or retrieve food drops. It has been suggested that there could be one thread about this subject, perhaps as a sticky. Comments on this would be valued.
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby neilmny » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 8:54 am

Makes sense to me.
User avatar
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 2383
Joined: Fri 03 Aug, 2012 11:19 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby gmac » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:11 am

Well worthwhile to a dedicated area to this very popular subject
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu 14 Oct, 2010 9:27 pm
Region: Victoria

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby north-north-west » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 1:37 pm

Yeah, bit tidier to keep it all in one.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
User avatar
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii
 
Posts: 11637
Joined: Thu 14 May, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: The Asylum
ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks for that advice. I'm thinking about a title on the lines:
“AAWT food drop and collect”

In the first post there will be an explanation about the thread to set out what should and should not be cited.

*** starts

This thread is for people who want to find other people who are putting in or retrieving food drops on the AAWT. All posts should make the following points clear for food drops:
* Where you live, in general terms (Adelaide, South Sydney);
* When the food drops are being put in, more or less;
* Where you intend to put them in general terms, e.g., Omeo Highway; and
* If you would like a GPS reference, a picture, a trail of breadcrumbs or the like.

If you want an empty food drop collected, you should state:
* The general location;
* What it looks like; and
* What to do with the container.

It's suggested that the detailed specifics of the food drops not be posted here. While unlikely, the forces of darkness may go to your food and eat it. This has happened. Contact with the other person should be by private message.

*** ends

Is the above okay?
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby MickyB » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 8:03 am

Great stuff Lophophaps

My only suggestion would be to change your second point from

* When the food drops are being put in, more or less;
to
When the food drops need to be put in, more or less or * When the food drops are required to be put in, more or less;

I think the rest of the list is really good and should work well.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
User avatar
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 1426
Joined: Thu 28 Jun, 2012 7:50 pm
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks for the above comments and private messages. I added one paragraph at the end.
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Stroller » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 2:01 pm

A suggestion - Perhaps this thread could be removed now. I just thread through it all and found it of no use whatsoever for planning my walk and doubt anyone else could still find it of use. I mean I think its served its purpose but that was quite a while ago now.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon 11 Jan, 2016 9:46 pm
Region: Australia
Gender: Female

Re: AAWT area setup

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 5:12 pm

Stroller, the purpose of the thread was and is about setup. I've added a new sticky based on advice given, with all suggestions followed. Threads are generally not removed. They just fall into history.
User avatar
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica
 
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 9:45 am
Region: Victoria
Gender: Male


Return to AAWT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests