Waterproof enthusiast Cameras ?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Waterproof enthusiast Cameras ?

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 4:08 pm

For those of you who take photography semi-seriously, what camera do you take bushwalking when the conditions are difficult ?

I upgraded from a Lumix tough camera (about 5 years old) to a Sony RX100 M3 (a year ago). I love the photos it takes, even though I barely know anything about it's full set of features. It's finally taken some water damage though, so even if it's repairable I need to think about taking it out again.

I would like to look at a waterproof DSLR but even if I can afford it that's way above my skill level. However if i pick up a cheap panasonic or olympus tough camera, I feel like I'll drop a fair way back in image quality.

Should I just be more careful, or look into a case, or just accept that a tough camera is the best way out of this ?
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Waterproof enthusiast Cameras ?

Postby north-north-west » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 5:15 pm

This is Tasmania. The conditions are always 'difficult'. Some times more so than others.
I always carry my DSLR. If it's really nasty outside, the camera stays in the waterproofs bags inside the camera bag.

Do have a GoPro intended for those nonDSLRable conditions, but I almost always forget to charge and pack the silly thing.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby wayno » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 5:18 pm

olympus em5 and pro lens is weather sealed, survived a foot of rain in a day no problems... best quality micro four thirds camera on the market and as good as or better than some APS C cameras..
they are up to the mk2 now.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:13 pm

north-north-west wrote:I always carry my DSLR. If it's really nasty outside, the camera stays in the waterproofs bags inside the camera bag.

I'd really like to avoid this. Why can't we have everything :lol:

wayno wrote:olympus em5 and pro lens is weather sealed, survived a foot of rain in a day no problems... best quality micro four thirds camera on the market and as good as or better than some APS C cameras..
they are up to the mk2 now.

Looks like a very likely contender, bigger sensor, weatherproof etc. Shame it's heavier, bigger, more expensive. What lens do you use for outdoors / landscape ? I don't know enough about choosing a lens...
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:18 pm

http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympu ... _12-40_2p8

equivalent of a 24-80mm full frame, fantastic in low light and close up... olympus lenses are top quality.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:20 pm

Why not just buy a wet weather case or sleeve? Cheapest is a home made plastic bag or something more workable like a soft waterproof bag for the specific camera eg. eBay item DiCAPac WP-570 for US$26.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DiCAPac-WP-570- ... 1704983150
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:24 pm

wayno wrote:http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/lenses/olympus_m_12-40_2p8
equivalent of a 24-80mm full frame, fantastic in low light and close up... olympus lenses are top quality.

Thanks. Getting a bit expensive, damn quality gear.

GPSGuided wrote:Why not just buy a wet weather case or sleeve?

I didn't know these existed. If I can get a repair (I'm hopeful) I'll definitely invest on one of these. Looks like you can use the camera in full rain without a problem !
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:28 pm

bear in mind if you buy the camera with the lens you should be ale to save money, i was lucky enough to get mine when they were on clearance before the mk2 came in, the lens was effectively free.... and the camera was half the price of the new model, so they could make more money selling the new camera to punters..
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:47 pm

CasualNerd wrote:I didn't know these existed. If I can get a repair (I'm hopeful) I'll definitely invest on one of these. Looks like you can use the camera in full rain without a problem !

A soft waterproof camera pouch would be my first consideration for use in foul weather of significance. For a nice quality camera of the RX100 series, there's definitely no reason to invest in another camera, let alone a new system. There are similar pouches for different sized cameras too for those with different hardwares. To go a further step, that's for an underwater camera casing, then the serious $$$ starts. Otherwise I just use my iPhone camera in poorer weather. Quick out and back into the pocket. Obviously still not for pouring rain unless under a little shelter.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:49 pm

GPSGuided wrote: Quick out and back into the pocket. Obviously still not for pouring rain unless under a little shelter.

That worked for a long time, now i know your luck runs out eventually. Camera still works, so hopefully it can be repaired.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 6:52 pm

wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 9:14 pm

Have long considered having a dedicated waterproof camera but could never justify it when considered the extent of its potential uses for my needs.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 8:17 am

Im a bit short on time atm but I went through a similar thing a little while ago and settled on an Olympus M5 Mk11 but I bought a 14-150mm lens, it is very versatile. You give up some areas with this lens but a lot for range.

Im a bit undecided on my next lens it will either be a 12-40 pro or a 7-14 pro.

Great camera btw.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby CasualNerd » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks guys. I don't understand the lens choices yet, but many sources are pointing me towards the Olympus. Hopefully I'll get the Sony fixed up and buy a case, otherwise I'll be back with lens questions :p
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 3:42 pm

GPSGuided wrote:To go a further step, that's for an underwater camera casing, then the serious $$$ starts. .

It's not just the money. Those things weigh a tonne and are *&%$#! unwieldy on dry land. They're also serious overkill unless you're going to get into proper underwater photography. A soft case is far more sensible.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 4:04 pm

Yep, crazy to go further with an underwater casing. Totally unnecessary.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 7:00 pm

I have two older underwater housings for my older Sony Cybershot digital cameras (two different models). These are the hard case style rated to 30-40m underwater use. I used them back when I was scuba diving/snorkeling. They did get a little bit of use, but I found that while they were good for boat and water use (like when kayaking), but for bushwalking were a bit bulky and unwieldly. They make underwater housings for the Sony RX100s as well, but boy they are pricey, and they add quite a bit of heft to the camera. They won't be pocketable anymore. I wouldn't really recommend these for general bushwalking, unless you intend to to watersports, caving, canyoning etc.

I also have three different sized Dicapac soft cases - these have a hard lens covering, but the bulk of the case is a fold down soft plastic. Again though while less bulky than the underwater hard cases, they add some heft to the camers, and I find them a bit difficult to change camera settings when the are on - they work best with push button changes, but when you have knobs or rotary wheels to turn they are near impossible to adjust with the case on. This is the advantage of the hard case underwater cameras - with these you can adjust all camera settings properly.

I know they also make these soft cases for DSLRS, but I haven't taken a DSLR walking with me in a very long time.

I have also owned two "tough" pocket waterproof cameras, a Panasonic and an Olympus. They were reasonably tough and I found it good for things like snaps at the beach or at the snow. But I found them lacking in picture quality in comparison with my equivalent Sony digital camera at the time (HX9V).

I now have an older GoPro hero 3+ that comes with me for snow/water use, but find it a bit harder to compose decent shots with, so it is generally relegated to video duty. Even then with no LCD screen, I find you have to check things like making sure there is no condensation/water on the lens to muck up your shot.

The Olympus "weatherproof" micro 4/3rds look ok, but will be heavier and bulkier than your current Sony, or even the Sony with a soft case. And might be a bit more expensive.

If you get a chance, I'd suggest trying out a softcase to see how it works with adjusting settings on your camera before buying one.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble