Pegs: Stake your Claims ...

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Pegs: Stake your Claims ...

Postby Aushiker » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 12:29 am

Stakes or pegs ... thought there would be an endless thread on this topic but alas no :) As most if not all ultralight focused shelters come sans stakes I thought I would take this opportunity to get a new set of stakes more inline with the ultralight philosophy.

Care to share what your favourite stakes are or what you recommend? Likely use is sand (mostly sandy tracks like surfaces and sometimes dunes), hard surfaces (often compacted gravel type ground) and more loaming soils when in the bush.

Are titanium nail type stakes the better option? Hooked ones? Carbon fibre along the lines that Zpack sells? Easton Nanos? Something else?
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Pegs: Stake your Claims ...

Postby damoprz » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 1:23 am

I just use 6xShephards hooks and 2xAlloy Y-stake for the ridgeline. Really tough, easy to use.

I have been considering upgrading to 2x9" and 6x6" Ruta Locura CF stakes or a set of titanium V's. It has never been high enough on my $/gram upgrade list and I don't sand/snow camp enough for it to have been necessary.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 6:35 am

For all-round use, I think DAC J stakes are the top. not the lightest, but they are very tough, and are well designed. Trouble is that they are pricey, and compared to some other offerings, I don't know how that value proposition measures up.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby [Jack]son » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 8:56 am

I have found the Easton Nanos that came with my Tartptent to be pretty terrible, especially in rocky ground. I was pulling one out of the ground and the silver cap on the top came off. It pushed right back on, but I was pretty disappointed with the quality. I've order some cheap Ti stakes off eBay to replace them, can't be any worse. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4pcs-16cm-Ti ... SwoJZXR9~8
[Jack]son
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DanShell » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:54 am

I have an assortment ranging from Toaks Ti, cheap eBay alloy, Easton 6" and Easton 8".

I always take the Easton 8" around Tassie. I also carry some of the Toaks as spares and to give me options. Ive never had an issue with the Easton coming apart, I really like them. They are strong, light and easy to clean. You need to be careful not to bend them though.

IMG_1196.JPG
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:38 am

I've not yet had an issue with the cheap "Y" section eBay pegs which are the same as used to be sold by Bunnings for the same price and have the best compromise I have yet found between weigh cost and holding power.
The "Y" pegs that come with Macpac tents are too short to be useful where I tend to walk
The thin Titanium skewers I have found useful only for grilling snags over the coals
I have thought about those TOAKS pegs but never had the money
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 5:27 pm

I've had a couple of Eastons come apart, although they quickly learnt it wasn't a good idea. No longer an issue after losing the lot on Eldon Peak. :roll:
The Hillebergs come with Y pegs which I find hold well enough and are easier to remove than the Eastons. They've stayed put through some pretty nasty weather, in both the Nallo and the Akto.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby damoprz » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 6:26 pm

DanShell wrote:I have an assortment ranging from Toaks Ti, cheap eBay alloy, Easton 6" and Easton 8".
I always take the Easton 8" around Tassie. I also carry some of the Toaks as spares and to give me options. Ive never had an issue with the Easton coming apart, I really like them. They are strong, light and easy to clean. You need to be careful not to bend them though.
IMG_1196.JPG

How are the Toaks mini-V's, they look pretty solid for the weight. I was thinking of ordering 6 mini-V's and 2 Fattys for my Echo II, but these Carbon stakes look interesting.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 7:15 pm

On the topic, at work we recently got a bunch of WE tents, made by sea to summit. the pegs they shipped with are the softest aluminum I've ever encountered. the problem is that after only a few uses, the pegs have been bent back into shape enough times to start to break. pretty terrible, especially considering the price tag.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Aushiker » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby DanShell » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:20 pm

damoprz wrote:
How are the Toaks mini-V's, they look pretty solid for the weight. I was thinking of ordering 6 mini-V's and 2 Fattys for my Echo II, but these Carbon stakes look interesting.

I'd say strong for the thickness and weigh. I haven't used them in any real windy conditions so can't say how they hold but seem pretty good for the little use I have given them.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Aushiker » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 10:39 pm

DanShell wrote:
damoprz wrote:

I'd say strong for the thickness and weigh. I haven't used them in any real windy conditions so can't say how they hold but seem pretty good for the little use I have given them.

These are available at Aliexpress for $21.98 for a pack of four and likely cheaper again if you use the app to place the order. Good price?
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby DanShell » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 10:08 am

Aushiker wrote:
These are available at Aliexpress for $21.98 for a pack of four and likely cheaper again if you use the app to place the order. Good price?

Its about right. I paid $20 USD shipped on Massdrop for 6 of them quite a while ago.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby damoprz » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 11:19 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Hey, that is a good price, is Ali express all knockoffs or are they legit?
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:09 am

damoprz wrote:Hey, that is a good price, is Ali express all knockoffs or are they legit?

My understanding is that Toaks actually sell their product on AliExpress so maybe not knockoffs. I generally find knockoffs are sold under different product names. That said I am making an assumption here, not a factual based comment. I guess asking Toaks may get the definitive answer.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 4:12 pm

According to my tracking of the discussions here and elsewhere the Easton Nano style tent pegs seem to be on par with the MSR Groundhog stakes as the pegs of choice. The comments on "sore hands" as probably tipped this wimp in the direction of the Easton Nano pegs :)

As I may be shopping at Zpacks and to save postage I am curious as to whether anyone has any thoughts on the Zpacks 6.4" Carbon Fiber tent stakes. Any reports of them coming apart?
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby damoprz » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 4:42 pm

Before you order from zpacks let me know. Depending on how much spare $$$'s I have I might want some things, and split the postage if you are happy to re-post to Melbourne.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 4:48 pm

damoprz wrote:Before you order from zpacks let me know. Depending on how much spare $$$'s I have I might want some things, and split the postage if you are happy to re-post to Melbourne.

For sure.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Mark F » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 5:43 pm

I can't comment directly on the zpacks cf stakes but I have used the Ruta Locura cf stakes. I like them but have managed to destroy one. Also had one head pull out but just glued it back in - no further issues. I think they are not the best for pounding into hard ground. More for sandier soils where you need a bit more holding power. I also have some ti angle stakes similar to the ones discussed above. I cannot remember the source. I have managed to bend one when pushing it in with my foot but I also have a bent Saxton stake.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Aushiker » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 6:28 pm

Mark F wrote:I can't comment directly on the zpacks cf stakes but I have used the Ruta Locura cf stakes. I like them but have managed to destroy one. Also had one head pull out but just glued it back in - no further issues. I think they are not the best for pounding into hard ground. More for sandier soils where you need a bit more holding power. I also have some ti angle stakes similar to the ones discussed above. I cannot remember the source. I have managed to bend one when pushing it in with my foot but I also have a bent Saxton stake.

Thanks. I might have to bite the bullet and add some MSR Groundhogs into the mix.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby corvus » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 8:05 pm

These pegs from a Forum Member are good albeit a wee bit harder to clean on the Track.
http://adventurefriends.com.au/6x-techn ... -tent-pegs
For soft snow (for those who are not familiar) dig a wee hole and put the pegs in horizontally,yes harder to recover in the morning but suitably stable when required to keep your shelter up :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby DanR » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 3:45 pm

I use a combination of Vango Nail pegs, shepherds hook and MSR Ground hog stakes. I find this combination provides good flexibility depending on how firm the ground is.
DanR
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby damoprz » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 7:02 pm

I got a pack of the Toaks mini-v's from a friend who was in the US. Not really that impressed with them, they don't seem hold much better than shepherd hooks. I think I'll go back to a combination of MSR groundhogs + Shepherd hooks for now, and give some of the Ruta Locura 9" stakes a try when I have some more $$'s.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Davidf61 » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 9:19 pm

Since I mostly tarp, I always have 2 over the top stakes like MSR Cyclones or Blizzard pegs, that way the main ridgeline is always able to be nailed down hard. The rest are a selection of [usually] titanium pegs/stakes/hooks depending what I feel like packing, but there is always more than I need :) Nothing quite as annoying as little stakes popping out at 3 in the morning so I'm content to usually use largish stakes [say Groundhogs size rather than the mini version] and then forget about them.

Who drives stakes in vertically [me] and who does the "angle" thing?
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby threshold » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:10 pm

Davidf61 wrote: who does the "angle" thing?

I do the angle thing. I find that they hold better :)

I use shepherds hooks and ground hogs/mini hogs, can't remember which one, out at work at the moment.
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Franco » Sat 13 May, 2017 1:03 pm

Who drives stakes in vertically [me] and who does the "angle" thing?
If you put them in perpendicular to the ground you increase the chances of the guyline jumping out of it during wind gusts.
This is still the safest way :

to remove , I suggest to give it a nudge with your boot first.

WARNING
Having said the above, if you use soft aluminium, the type that you can bend with your hands , vertical (perpendicular to the ground) will hold better because at an angle they will bend faster.
Best to test them for yourself by simply inserting two pegs into the ground at different angles then attaching a rope to each lean back and see what happens.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigwallclimber » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 7:51 am

Hi All,

Me personally I cannot go past the MSR Groundhog peg, they are a great design, easy to put in, easy to take out and they are very light. I have never had one fail, I have had one set for about 9 years and they are still going strong. The red and white pull cord colour has seen better days but they still work.

I have used these in many countries and many environments and cannot flaw them. I used these in Cameroon for 4 months camping and not once they come out of the water soaked ground in the wet season.

Check them out.
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby whitefang » Fri 15 Sep, 2017 7:10 pm

bigwallclimber wrote:Hi All,

Me personally I cannot go past the MSR Groundhog peg, they are a great design, easy to put in, easy to take out and they are very light. I have never had one fail, I have had one set for about 9 years and they are still going strong. The red and white pull cord colour has seen better days but they still work.

I have used these in many countries and many environments and cannot flaw them. I used these in Cameroon for 4 months camping and not once they come out of the water soaked ground in the wet season.

Check them out.

I love mine too, just don't get too vigorous hitting them in with rocks because they will bend eventually.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby bigwallclimber » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 12:08 pm

whitefang wrote:
bigwallclimber wrote:Hi All,

Check them out.

I love mine too, just don't get too vigorous hitting them in with rocks because they will bend eventually.

Whitefang, I fortunately have never had to hit them in with a rock, I either hit them in with my trusty little hammer (Rarely) or just push them in with my boots, the design I feel makes it easier to do this.

Dave
bigwallclimber
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 12:21 pm

threshold wrote:
Davidf61 wrote: who does the "angle" thing?

I do the angle thing. I find that they hold better :)

I use shepherds hooks and ground hogs/mini hogs, can't remember which one, out at work at the moment.

I have always operated on the principle that the peg should be at an angle of 90 degrees to the guy-line. that way the vector of force is resisted by the maximum surface area of the peg. Assuming that surface area is the main resistive force to peg extraction and assuming that force along the axis of the guyline is the only (or most likely) vector.

less than 90 degrees and you rely on less surface area but more friction from the soil and greater than 90 degrees gives no more benefit, and possibly less as there is less surface area and depth to resist extraction.

A way of testing this theory would be to drive in a peg at 180 degrees to the direction of pull of the guyline to see how well friction prevents extraction. I have never tried it but I assume that it doesn't work.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking