Gaia GPS App amongst others

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Gaia GPS App amongst others

Postby Aushiker » Thu 19 May, 2016 11:55 am

Bikepacking.com has posted a summary, state of the market sort of article on smartphone apps that can enable the use of one's smartphone as a GPS. In particular they focus on the app, Gaia. Anyone play with this in an Australian context?

From the post there is also an offer for a year's Pro access ...

And we have great news… After getting in touch with Gaia regarding this post, they’ve offered one year of their GaiaPro subscription free to any readers of Bikepacking.com. GaiaPro can be used as a standalone service on gaiagps.com, or as an enhancement to the mobile app if you choose to purchase it. To redeem this offer, simply email support@gaiagps.com and mention bikepacking.com.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Re: Gaia GPS App amongst others

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 27 May, 2016 2:41 pm

Just came across a notice, Gaia GPS app is on sale for the US Memorial Day weekend. 50% off at US$9.99. Confirmed on iOS but not sure about other platforms (if any).
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ken333 » Mon 04 Jul, 2016 2:38 pm

I use OruxMaps for Android. It can access Qld QTopo, NSW SIX, and Tas LIST topographical maps (free). Areas can be selected and downloaded for off-line use. See posts in this forum. It can also use the OpenCycleMaps and OpenAndroMaps which has various files for Australian states and else where around the world, that can be downloaded for offline use. I think the contours are based on the newer 30 metre satellite data, not the older 90 metre data. OruxMaps also allows scanned paper maps to be calibrated and imported into it, using the Desktop windows program. OruxMaps is free, and does all the usual gps things, like Tracks, Waypoints and Routes.
Last edited by ken333 on Tue 05 Jul, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Postby ribuck » Mon 04 Jul, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm also a very happy user of OrixMaps, although I'm Microsoft-free and therefore can't use the Windows app to calibrate my paper maps.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble