Weekend trip to the Brocken in Germany

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Weekend trip to the Brocken in Germany

Postby kImperator » Thu 25 Feb, 2016 6:24 am

Hello together,

It's time for my first trip report in English, so relax and enjoy this report and the German.

This weekend was the first weekend since a nearly endless time, where I was not able to walk longer distances, due to a climbing accident.
So it was great for me, so it was the last Week where it is cold in this area. I was picking some friends of me and we were hiking for two days around the Harz Mountains in Germany.
As we started in Schierke, the area was looking like it was painted. It was a winter dream with lots of snow and an misty view.

On top of the Brocken (translated this mountain would be called boulder or chunk) the misty view was getting really worse. The wind also increased and reached up to 80Km/h. What a great weather for a winter Trip.
ImageFollowing you could imagine what the weather looked like in this area. This mountain is also really special, because normally there are only 30 days a year, where the view from this mountain is great. The weather there is really extreme compared to the surrounding mountains and areas.

In the night the weather changed, it was not snowing anymore. It was raining a lot with fairly warm rain!
So in the morning after there was a lot snow melted. You could see it, that there was no snow left on the trees and boulders.

Afterwards the trip down from the mountains was great, because lots of the rain from the night were turned by the cold ground to ice. I was really missing my microspikes on the way back.

But it was a great Time!

PS: Guess who was going ultralight to this winter tour!
kImperator
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Re: Weekend trip to the Brocken in Germany

Postby north-north-west » Thu 25 Feb, 2016 1:13 pm

Nice. Thank you.

That looks like a massive load under the khaki packcover. OK, winter and bad weather, but still heaps more than I've ever taken on a two dayer in the snow even with the snowshoes strapped to the pack. How much gear were you two carrying?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby kImperator » Thu 25 Feb, 2016 5:45 pm

Hello, i was carrying a base weight of 3.7kg whereas my friend carried a baseweight of 13kg.
kImperator
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 12:16 pm

Bet he was cursing your lightweight load by the end of the trip. :wink:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby n5750547 » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 3:56 pm

kImperator wrote:Hello, i was carrying a base weight of 3.7kg whereas my friend carried a baseweight of 13kg.

3.7kg is very impressive for winter. Would love to see what was in there. Well done

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
n5750547
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby kImperator » Fri 26 Feb, 2016 7:51 pm

Hello together,

For sure, I've put my packlist in the comment below. Even with the additional informations, which kind of gear were not used and could be left at home.

I guess next winter trip I will add an bivy and/or replace the Tarp with an pyramid tent. Even when this adds a few hundred grams, it will simplify the camp site selection in this harsh conditions.

Picture (Device Independent Bitmap) 1.jpg

Edit:
He was not crushing his load, we have completely different ideas of what kind of gear works best for us. For us it is more like "hike your own hike" ;)

Greetings from Germany
kImperator
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes