TASMAN PENINSULA

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

TASMAN PENINSULA

Postby HAPPYCAMPA » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 7:27 am

Is water available on the Tasman Peninsula walk, I will be carrying Micropur.
HAPPYCAMPA
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: TASMAN PENINSULA

Postby tasadam » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 9:52 am

I've only done day walks and it's been a few years, I can't remember. Perhaps someone else may know.
I generally find the most up to date info on this sort of thing can be found out by contacting the local ranger office and asking. They're pretty good usually. Here's a link.
Where abouts on the peninsula are you referring? Cape Pillar, or other walks?
A useful link is here. See the drop down box for more info.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 9:55 am

The only walk I've done on the peninsula was Tasman Arch to Fortescue bay (about 25 years ago). I don't recall seeing any fresh water along the way for that section (but it was a long time ago, and I was very young so my memory of it is not very good).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby HAPPYCAMPA » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 11:58 am

FOR TASADAM
Eaglehawk Neck to Cape Pillar then back to Fortescue, 4 days exit the walk at Fortescue Bay. Sourced from LP Bushwalking in Australia circa 1998 (I think)
HAPPYCAMPA
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby flyfisher » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 3:43 pm

I walked to Cope Pillar a few years ago and found lovely clear water in Lunchtime creek.I'm not sure in this very dry season we have at the moment.

The water in Perdition ponds is a bit brackish, o.k to cook in but not so good to drink. It also could also suffer from pollution from uncaring walkers.

Have a great walk---it's speccy scenery.
Cheers John
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby bluewombat » Mon 18 Feb, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi Happycampa
water on this walk is a bit seasonal. Usually fine at Camp falls, there is a creek off the track about halfway to Bivouac Bay but it is quite hard to find so would not rely on it. Bivouac Bay and Canoe Bay both have water under all but driest conditions. Fortescue has taps, then Lunchtime creek is very reliable and Perdition is ok but brackish. No reliable water between there and Cape Pillar.
cheers
bw
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:26 am

bluewombat wrote:Hi Happycampa
water on this walk is a bit seasonal. Usually fine at Camp falls, there is a creek off the track about halfway to Bivouac Bay but it is quite hard to find so would not rely on it. Bivouac Bay and Canoe Bay both have water under all but driest conditions. Fortescue has taps, then Lunchtime creek is very reliable and Perdition is ok but brackish. No reliable water between there and Cape Pillar.
cheers
bw

Excellent report, bluewombat, well done.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby PeterJ » Tue 19 Feb, 2008 6:58 pm

bluewombat wrote:Hi Happycampa
bw

The creek referred to is probably the one about 30 minutes south of Tatnells Hill. There is a side track leading to a camp site at 577572 5228704 but the creek is 10 minutes further along this track/pad and care needs to be taken to avoid loosing it. The water is nowhere as reliable as Bivouac Bay (major campsite). Lunchtime Creek is also reliable (though not sure how sparse it gets in summer as I avoid the place that time of year)
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania