Overland Track Information Necessity

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Overland Track Information Necessity

Postby gannybun » Thu 15 Oct, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi

I am figuring out which is the best guide/map to buy. hopefully i can get some pointers here.

1) The Overland Track Information Package
Do i need this if i would to purchase the John Chapman Book??
https://shop.parks.tas.gov.au/ProductInfo.aspx?id=19

2) The Overland Track - John Chapman Book - i know this book is highly recommended.
Does the book contains map?
https://shop.parks.tas.gov.au/ProductInfo.aspx?id=13

3) Cradle Mountain - Lake St. Clair - Map and Notes Cradle Mountain - Lake St. Clair - Map and Notes
Lastly, if i would to purchase the chapman book, is the map still necessary?
https://shop.parks.tas.gov.au/ProductInfo.aspx?id=2

4) Does the google map works or any mobile reception works on the track?

Pardon me, as i am a first time hiker. thank you in advance.!
gannybun
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Overland Track Information Necessity

Postby corvus » Thu 15 Oct, 2015 5:44 pm

gannybun wrote:Hi

I am figuring out which is the best guide/map to buy. hopefully i can get some pointers here.

1) The Overland Track Information Package
Do i need this if i would to purchase the John Chapman Book??
https://shop.parks.tas.gov.au/ProductInfo.aspx?id=19

2) The Overland Track - John Chapman Book - i know this book is highly recommended.
Does the book contains map?
https://shop.parks.tas.gov.au/ProductInfo.aspx?id=13

3) Cradle Mountain - Lake St. Clair - Map and Notes Cradle Mountain - Lake St. Clair - Map and Notes
Lastly, if i would to purchase the chapman book, is the map still necessary?
https://shop.parks.tas.gov.au/ProductInfo.aspx?id=2

4) Does the google map works or any mobile reception works on the track?

Pardon me, as i am a first time hiker. thank you in advance.!

Parks information Pack is good as is Chapmans as is Warwick Sprawsons The Overland Track , I have all three and if you only intend doing the OLT once I would recommend the Parks pack as it would cost you less.
Enjoy your Walk.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 7:52 am

4) No mobile phone network available on the track. You can usually get reception from most mountain summits beside the track these days, but you should not even count on that.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby MickyB » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 8:30 am

#2 John Champan's book is worth taking. It is approx A5 in size and 64 pages - won't take up much room in your pack. Has maps and good descriptions of each days walk including side tracks.

Agree with Corvus that Warwick Sprawsons 'The Overland Track' book is also great and has details on flora and fauna that you are likely to see on the OT although I don't think I would take this book on the walk.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby canthardlywait » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 8:48 am

I borrowed 'The Overland Track' by Warwick Sprawson from a local library beforehand. It's a good read and has lots of useful info - I just made a note of any important info. On the trail I bought the map - however Chapman's book is only a few dollars more so might be worth getting that instead.
canthardlywait
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Nuts » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 8:52 am

All good & worth reading. Parks OLT pack includes the Map (&notes) plus Chapmans OLT book. The other info included is useful for packing and MIB reminders. Between this and the ID posters and info in huts= a good amount of info.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gannybun » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 3:00 pm

Thank you everyone for the generous feedback.

@Nuts, Sadly, Parks OLT pack i dont think it come with chapmans OLT book anymore. it only have 3 items.
The Overland Track - One Walk, Many Journeys visitor guidebook (published by Parks),
a 1:100,000 map, and
a Leave No Trace swing-tag to attach to your pack.

i think i will get Chapman Book directly from his website as his cost of international shipment is more affordable as compare to the PARKS online shop, http://www.john.chapman.name/pub-ot.html
and the i'll pick up the map when i am at Physical Shop itself before i start my hike.
That way save on the shipping cost of the items.
gannybun
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 5:10 pm

gannybun wrote:Thank you everyone for the generous feedback.

@Nuts, Sadly, Parks OLT pack i dont think it come with chapmans OLT book anymore. it only have 3 items.
The Overland Track - One Walk, Many Journeys visitor guidebook (published by Parks),
a 1:100,000 map, and
a Leave No Trace swing-tag to attach to your pack.

i think i will get Chapman Book directly from his website as his cost of international shipment is more affordable as compare to the PARKS online shop, http://www.john.chapman.name/pub-ot.html
and the i'll pick up the map when i am at Physical Shop itself before i start my hike.
That way save on the shipping cost of the items.

G'day gannybun,
The Parks pack book as updated 2012 is an excellent publication and in my opinion will cover all you need to know about the OLT ,looked at my 2008 edition and found it easy to understand with helpful information .
Not saying Chapman's book is not good just perhaps more information than you need if you are only doing the track once.
Just checked and realise that Chapman's OLT booklet is one I have not read is it a shorter version of his Cradle Mountain Lake St Clair book that I have ,does he cover the Flora and Fauna that the Parks booklet does ?
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby MickyB » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 6:34 pm

corvus wrote:does he cover the Flora and Fauna that the Parks booklet does ?

No. Unfortunately it's one of the negatives about his book. He does have some great info on side trips though which I think the Parks pack book lacks.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby corvus » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 8:49 pm

MickyB wrote:
corvus wrote:does he cover the Flora and Fauna that the Parks booklet does ?

No. Unfortunately it's one of the negatives about his book. He does have some great info on side trips though which I think the Parks pack book lacks.

If that is the case the Parks pack book would be the way to go (Pine Valley is not part of the OLT ) and the map you get will
enable you to pick up the Side Trips to Cradle ,Barn , Oakleigh and Ossa Mts ,D'Alton ,Fergusson and Hartnett Falls from it I believe.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Nuts » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 1:01 pm

gannybun (i'm not gonna ask lol).. sorry bum steer, I have a couple of older packs and JC's guidebook is included. I'd agree with the others that the parks publication is very good. The map and 'notes', as far as i'm aware......, refers to the notes on the back of the map, they are also helpful. Really, armed with the map and the hut posters is enough, extra info is great, all the publications iv'e seen are worth reading (if necessarily repetitious), you could take and measure info by the kg :wink:

Those infernal hang tags.. flapping in the wind.. :?:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gannybun » Wed 21 Oct, 2015 12:30 pm

Thanks guys for all the feedback! greatly appreciated.
i just took a look.

The Park Publication lacks a few chapter than Chapman book
Narcissus Hut to Pine Valley Hut . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 56
Windy Ridge Hut to Pine Valley Hut . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 56
The Acropolis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 56
Labyrinth Lookout . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 59

is it hard to get around to Pine Valley with the map on hand by oneself?

However Chapman book lack the chapter the park publication had (Plants and Animals).
gannybun
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Wed 21 Oct, 2015 1:55 pm

Pine Valley easy, good track, well signed, on the map. So too the track up into Labyrinth, be careful to keep a close eye on it when you get into Lab proper.. for your return, peters out & there are a lot of braids and leads around the lakes, the book wouldn't help there. You can get great views across the valley, without finding the 'lookout'.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby chumsky » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 9:27 am

Hey all,

Myself and girlfriend and doing the Overland track in a couple of weeks. Is the The Overland Track Information Package or the other books available at the Cradle Mountain Information center or should I be ordering one of these online? We'll also be in Launceston for a couple of nights before we start the track, so wondering if these books are available there?

Thanks,
chumsky
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby gannybun » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 9:08 pm

not too sure. but i read upon that the books along with the maps are available at the Visitor Centre.
gannybun
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stry » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 11:56 am

chumsky wrote:Hey all,

Myself and girlfriend and doing the Overland track in a couple of weeks. Is the The Overland Track Information Package or the other books available at the Cradle Mountain Information center or should I be ordering one of these online? We'll also be in Launceston for a couple of nights before we start the track, so wondering if these books are available there?

Thanks,

If you have already booked,you will have had the opportunity to receive a package of info with your passes. You can buy more if you wish, but the package is probably sufficient.

If you haven't already booked,I think you may not be going at this time of year.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain