why cant/dont we...

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

Re: why cant/dont we...

Postby Scottyk » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 1:13 pm

RonK wrote:
Yes, a Queenslander - one of those people whose GST and tourist dollars help keep Tassie afloat...

Maybe just keep those sorts of comments to yourself or a PM.

Maybe if you want to have a discussion about semantics maybe start a new thread.

It's an interesting discussion lets keep it interesting. :D
Scottyk
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tasgear.com.au
Region: Tasmania

Postby aloftas » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 2:01 pm

I will say, that "whining noise" is generally accompanied by Hydro Electricity.

Just food for thought.

I do firmly believe that economic sustainability is driven through innovation and production.

Cottage industry is good.
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm no economist, so I'll leave that side of the discussion alone. Though I would love to see your range of products once fully developed, aloftas. Please keep us posted with how it goes :)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby aloftas » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 4:30 pm

Strider wrote:I'm no economist, so I'll leave that side of the discussion alone. Though I would love to see your range of products once fully developed, aloftas. Please keep us posted with how it goes :)

:) well, I am too much of a novice to really say much except for pink batts under technical tin foil beanies, however, I always thought Tasmania should contribute to this field.
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 4:37 pm

RonK wrote:Yes, a Queenslander - one of those people whose GST and tourist dollars help keep Tassie afloat...

How much do you know about economics? In between whining about tasmanians, read this about horizontal fiscal equalisation

Then when you are done you should consider if what you said is true or not. Last fiscal year QLD got more GST back that it would under a per capita payment scheme.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

why cant/dont we...

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 5:34 pm

aloftas wrote:I do firmly believe that economic sustainability is driven through innovation and production.

But all the business factors have to align. Good innovation and manufacturing can just as easily tank when the goods can't reach the major markets. It's a multi-factorial equation. Cottage industry can be good an healthy if there's enough demand for their product. It dies just as quickly when there isn't.

Ed: 'can't'
Last edited by GPSGuided on Fri 10 Jul, 2015 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 3:17 am

GPSGuided wrote:
aloftas wrote:I do firmly believe that economic sustainability is driven through innovation and production.

But all the business factors have to align. Good innovation and manufacturing can just as easily tank when the goods can reach the major markets. It's a multi-factorial equation. Cottage industry can be good an healthy if there's enough demand for their product. It dies just as quickly when there isn't.

its a black art making things in the cottage industry, the successful ones, really know what they are doing, and know how to design good products that are in demand, who knows how many companies fail for every one that succeeds, you'll never know how many companies fail because their story doesnt get into the media.. how many cottage industry companies can you name? I cant think of that many, they are easy enough to start, so why arent there thousands of them out there that we know about making products for walkers? because it's hard to stay in business? a lot of the cottage industry gear isnt cheap, so you better be making he products people need or want and are willing to pay for or they will go elsewhere and get something cheaper.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby aloftas » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 5:52 am

Again, I want to thank you lot for such a great discussion.
I no s*&^%$#a, and am the first to admit it...there are things which only experience can teach. However, "collectively" we can discuss and I call it "titration" the ideas and conceptualized notions can settle.
I learnt sailing dinghies, that some things need to be trained reactions...how to jump on a centreboard and keep your eye out for the bailing bucket.
Freezing to death is no fun, and these days largely completely avoidable.
I will say that at times I do think the Tassie wilderness experience is overshadowed by a lurking disregard for the potential for extreme weather...of which we are looking at this weekend.
Once again thanks for sharing and hopefully this discussion will engender some comprehension for those new to Tassie, those who know the ropes, and those of us who are rekindling an interest.
http://www.carinthia.eu/bags/en/shop/Sl ... 0/?card=28
^these look sweet
On my need to be overhot...until I am convinced otherwise I see a greater calorie retention rate, greater hypothermic recovery chances (for ANY case which will appear under adverse circumstances....in trying conditions..) As a gentleman said "yesterday horizontal rain, today blue sky"

Mother Nature can be harsh. Has no respect for brand names or weight. You need some wool, you need some gortex gear, etc etc the point is to break it down so you have enough, of the right gear and in some cases its sensible to have overkill, and in other cases its not.
Let me put it like this. If the body temperature is low, then sweating out a bag isn't going to happen...

If metabolism is normal, use the bag as a duvet...have a thermally rated mat and sleep like a cat.

Mt cat is my product tester, we call goose down in pertex warm snow... and when she is snuggled up on her back spread out like a relaxed and comfortable calory neutral position...

I know that the world is an ok place.

Anyway, I will shut up.

But be safe, be positive and show some empathy out there.

And "Think Warm"
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby aloftas » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 12:14 pm

aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 1:16 pm

cats will paw at a surface they are going to sleep on... they will put holes in a sleeping bag increasing the ability of the down to escape...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby aloftas » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 1:19 pm

wayno wrote:cats will paw at a surface they are going to sleep on... they will put holes in a sleeping bag increasing the ability of the down to escape...

true, probably not the best testing facility....

however, when I see her sprawled out like a hibernating bear I know all is ok in her world at least!

Cheers :)
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 1:59 pm

could try putting a blanket or towel on top of the bag.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby aloftas » Wed 05 Aug, 2015 2:13 pm

wayno wrote:could try putting a blanket or towel on top of the bag.

true, but generally, when she sneaks off I know exactly where she will be, sprawled out under the bag looking more like a rug than a cat.
When I disturb her, She kinda gives me that look that most of you do...
:mrgreen:
aloftas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain