June transport options

Discussion specifically about the Overland Track should be posted in this subforum, including side trips and the Cradle Mountain day walk area. Alternative access routes and connecting routes belong in the parent forum.
Forum rules
Overland Track App
An electronic guidebook for planning and walking the Overland Track.
Download this app for loads of information about planning, gear, food, accommodation and much more about the Overland Track.
You will also find topo maps, terrain profiles and track notes for offline use.
$10 -- Discount to $3 until December 15

June transport options

Postby Drew » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm getting a headache just trying to figure out the transport options to get to and from the OLT in June.

It seems like the bus options are a bit limited in winter, but might be possible to make it work.

The private operators (Outdoors Tasmania and others) seem very expensive - $122 per person each way for a minimum of 3 people (only 2 of us going at this stage) for Launceston to Cradle Mtn and Lake St Clair to Launceston.

I think we'd like 6 nights on the track. Can anyone suggest the most economical and/or easiest way to make it work? Happy to fly in and out of Launceston or into Launceston and out of Hobart, whatever's easiest.

Thanks.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: June transport options

Postby weeds » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 5:30 pm

I believe into Launceston and out of Hobart is the most popular for us Australians dropping in for the walk only......
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

June transport options

Postby RonK » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 6:07 pm

Into Launie, out of Hobart. You need to study the winter bus timetable carefully and plan your walk accordingly.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby Senji_Man » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 8:56 pm

Your only other option is to befriend a local who is willing to drive to either end. Send me a PM if you want.
Recent trips: Never Never Circuit, Turrana Circuit, Mt Field West, Overland Track (South to North), Mt Albert
Senji_Man
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Drew » Thu 30 Apr, 2015 11:00 pm

Thanks Senji Man, shall do.
Drew

Postby Domi » Fri 08 May, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi Drew

I concur. I'm intending to arrive in Launceston on Saturday 6 June with a view to start my solo walk on Sunday and finish on Friday 12 days. I would appreciate any advice on transport and am happy for a share ride to reduce costs.
Domi
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Drew » Sun 10 May, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi Domi,

I'm afraid that my walk isn't going ahead due to an injury to my friend. I didn't learn much more since I started this thread, but I think that RonK's suggestion is a good one: study the bus timetable carefully!

Outdoors Tasmania do have a message board on their website where you can see when they are taking private groups with a view to joining an existing an already booked service and sharing costs with others.

Good luck.
Drew

Postby punjabmat » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi crew,
my partner and are looking at getting from llake st clair to cradle mountain on sunday th 7th any suggestions would be greately appreciated!
punjabmat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Postby Krudler » Thu 18 Jun, 2015 7:37 pm

punjabmat wrote:Hi crew,
my partner and are looking at getting from llake st clair to cradle mountain on sunday th 7th any suggestions would be greately appreciated!

I'm in the same boat but in September so I'm interested in how you ended up getting between lake st clair and cradle mountain?
Krudler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Snowzone » Wed 24 Jun, 2015 11:17 am

Krudler wrote:
punjabmat wrote:Hi crew,

I'm in the same boat but in September so I'm interested in how you ended up getting between lake st clair and cradle mountain?

I just got back from the Overland Track doing it from South to North. I parked my car at Cradle and got the Tassielink public bus to Queenstown, stayed overnight and then caught the Lake St.Clair bus the next morning which got me to LSC around 11am still early enough to either catch ferry to Narcissus or start walking. I did the later and stayed at Echo Point for my first night. It meant a nights accommodation in Queenstown but I just looked at it as part of the trip and a chance to explore Queenstown.
Snowzone

Return to Overland Track and Cradle Mountain