Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushwalki

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Things you hate, dislike or annoy you when camping/bushw

Postby sim1oz » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 9:09 pm

@geoskid, yes I suspect it would take me a few days to get used to walking in long grass as well.

Still, growing up walking here in venomland (yeah, I mean Australia) means we are well-trained to be on the alert for critter danger in other places as long as we know what to look out for. Being able to relax and let down your guard in NZ sounds blissful - except for those sandflies
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 8:28 am

walkerchris77 wrote:March flys that are out in January. !!!!!!!!!

The ones I object to have knives and forks. In summer I have boots and gaiters to stop snakes, with long pants, a long sleeved shirt (near miss on a typo!), a broad brimmed hat, a sun flap and light gardening gloves. The **** marchies still get through the lighter layers. Pox on them. Minimal sunscreen is needed.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby walkerchris77 » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:54 am

Lucky for the typo. Lol
walkerchris77
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 2:28 pm

GM01.jpg
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby walkerchris77 » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 3:44 pm

Always gets me why noah decided to take to mozzies on his big boat.
walkerchris77

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 5:15 pm

NNW, LOL.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby corvus » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:12 pm

walkerchris77 wrote:Always gets me why noah decided to take to mozzies on his big boat.

Sort of answers the question they were not there and it did not really happen as told in the Fairy Tale .
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Bubbalouie » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:20 pm

corvus wrote:
walkerchris77 wrote:Always gets me why noah decided to take to mozzies on his big boat.

Sort of answers the question they were not there and it did not really happen as told in the Fairy Tale .

But baby mozzies live in water :p
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby corvus » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:24 pm

Bubbalouie wrote:
corvus wrote:

But baby mozzies live in water :p

In still water
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby MickyB » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 8:56 pm

I said to my priest, 'Do you think Noah did a lot of fishing on the ark?'
He said, 'He was at sea for forty days, so I imagine he did.'
I said, 'What, with only two worms?'
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby quill » Sat 21 Mar, 2015 2:03 pm

DanShell wrote:I get disappointed when niggling injuries/health issues/or just general soreness starts to lessen my enjoyment for a walk.

Ive had plantar fasciitis in my left foot for over 12 months now and I am just about fed up with it. Ive tried everything and wasted too much money trying to get it fixed but no one seems to be able to fix it. Help it yes, fix it no. :(

So after every day I am in all sorts of pain, so thats my mate or dislike when bushwalking.

I had the vampire's bite of PF for some time, and tried loads of stuff before beating it. I'm now studying physiotherapy so I can see why my eventual treatment options worked.

It's a very individual dysfunction but a night splint, while sounding extreme, is comfortable, cheap and very effective - it pulls your foot and digits into dorsiflexion (angled toward the head) as you sleep, which means any healing done overnight in the plantar fascia occurs in the stretched position. This means you do not simply tear it anew with those delightful first few steps in the morning (I recall it being like a rusty nail in my heel). This re-tearing is why PF is so stubborn and with the night splint there is zero pain upon weightbearing in the morning. I used the Strassburg Sock, which looks like a normal knee-high sock but has an adjustable tension strap running from the toes to the upper lip of the sock beneath the knee. Tighten this until the foot is level (most people point their toes overnight).

If you're willing to learn (and waste a few metres of Elastoplast teaching yourself), low-dye taping is *extremely* effective in deloading your plantar fascia. You can't use it every day due to eventual irritation but it's a very, very useful skill if you are really laid low by it on the trail or anywhere else. Problem gone, until the tape comes off. YouTube is your friend.

But the night splint cleared up my PF within two weeks after nearly three months of misery. That and low-dye taping are all you need. OTC shoe inserts are useful, but only the silicone versions as they're resilient, washable and the support is adjustable. Rolling helps, but a golf ball in the shower is better. Get warm and really grind it in like you mean it.
quill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walkerchris77 » Sun 22 Mar, 2015 4:47 pm

MickyB wrote:I said to my priest, 'Do you think Noah did a lot of fishing on the ark?'
He said, 'He was at sea for forty days, so I imagine he did.'
I said, 'What, with only two worms?'

ha ha ha ha. Lmao.

:D
walkerchris77

Postby DanShell » Sun 22 Mar, 2015 5:11 pm

quill wrote:
DanShell wrote:I get disappointed when niggling injuries/health issues/or just general soreness starts to lessen my enjoyment for a walk.

Ive had plantar fasciitis in my left foot for over 12 months now and I am just about fed up with it. Ive tried everything and wasted too much money trying to get it fixed but no one seems to be able to fix it. Help it yes, fix it no. :(

So after every day I am in all sorts of pain, so thats my mate or dislike when bushwalking.

I had the vampire's bite of PF for some time, and tried loads of stuff before beating it. I'm now studying physiotherapy so I can see why my eventual treatment options worked.

It's a very individual dysfunction but a night splint, while sounding extreme, is comfortable, cheap and very effective - it pulls your foot and digits into dorsiflexion (angled toward the head) as you sleep, which means any healing done overnight in the plantar fascia occurs in the stretched position. This means you do not simply tear it anew with those delightful first few steps in the morning (I recall it being like a rusty nail in my heel). This re-tearing is why PF is so stubborn and with the night splint there is zero pain upon weightbearing in the morning. I used the Strassburg Sock, which looks like a normal knee-high sock but has an adjustable tension strap running from the toes to the upper lip of the sock beneath the knee. Tighten this until the foot is level (most people point their toes overnight).

If you're willing to learn (and waste a few metres of Elastoplast teaching yourself), low-dye taping is *extremely* effective in deloading your plantar fascia. You can't use it every day due to eventual irritation but it's a very, very useful skill if you are really laid low by it on the trail or anywhere else. Problem gone, until the tape comes off. YouTube is your friend.

But the night splint cleared up my PF within two weeks after nearly three months of misery. That and low-dye taping are all you need. OTC shoe inserts are useful, but only the silicone versions as they're resilient, washable and the support is adjustable. Rolling helps, but a golf ball in the shower is better. Get warm and really grind it in like you mean it.

Thanks very much for the advice. I still suffer from it and I am making a very concerted effort to try and finally rid this thing. Its been well over 12 months, so enough is enough.

The frozen bottle helps temporarily, so does the golf ball. I recently purchased some things that strap under my foot to help support the arch, whilst they may be helping, I still suffer.

I will now try a version of the Strassburg Sock. Your professional theory sounds reasonable to me. I am willing to give anything a go.

I will also buy some tape and teach myself to strap my foot when it is giving me grief on the trail. Which it does bad if I am not taking drugs :(

Thanks again.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:26 am

I had pf. The foot dude told me to roll it on frozen water bottles while watching the box and tape it up so it bends your foot in abit to take the pressure off. .
Worked a treat.

I did hear on the radio about some new painless treatment but i forgot what it was. If i hear the add again ill post some info. I think ron barrassi was doing the add.
walkerchris77

Postby quill » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 6:06 pm

DanShell wrote:
quill wrote:

Thanks very much for the advice. I still suffer from it and I am making a very concerted effort to try and finally rid this thing. Its been well over 12 months, so enough is enough.

The frozen bottle helps temporarily, so does the golf ball. I recently purchased some things that strap under my foot to help support the arch, whilst they may be helping, I still suffer.

I will now try a version of the Strassburg Sock. Your professional theory sounds reasonable to me. I am willing to give anything a go.

I will also buy some tape and teach myself to strap my foot when it is giving me grief on the trail. Which it does bad if I am not taking drugs :(

Thanks again.

No worries at all, keep us updated on how you go. Everyone is different but if you have not yet tried a night splint, I'm confident you will see a marked improvement. Just being able to walk pain-free when you first get up is worth the price of admission.

You say 'a version of'... are you making your own? Apparently it's easy enough to do, the tricky part is tensioning the top of the sock so it doesn't slip down.

Some people (including me) find when they first use it, it can make the big toe ache a little as it's under compressive force all night. This clears up soon - if not, apparently cutting a short length of thick cardboard tube and sliding it over your toe before putting on the sock very efficiently takes care of the problem.

Low-dye taping is heavenly. Once you get good at it, it's like a hammock for your foot.

Best of luck, I know how much it hurts.
quill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Old_Magpie » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:38 pm

What I hate,
Campsites accessible by 4WD.
Just got back from Lerderderg Gorge walk.
Took my son on his 1st.
Arrived at the campsite to find a dozen 4wd's with generators playing rave music until 2:00am.
Apparently they were having a buck's party, and were offering to drive out any walkers who wanted a lift back to their cars...
Old_Magpie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DanShell » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 9:24 am

quill wrote:
No worries at all, keep us updated on how you go. Everyone is different but if you have not yet tried a night splint, I'm confident you will see a marked improvement. Just being able to walk pain-free when you first get up is worth the price of admission.

You say 'a version of'... are you making your own? Apparently it's easy enough to do, the tricky part is tensioning the top of the sock so it doesn't slip down.

Some people (including me) find when they first use it, it can make the big toe ache a little as it's under compressive force all night. This clears up soon - if not, apparently cutting a short length of thick cardboard tube and sliding it over your toe before putting on the sock very efficiently takes care of the problem.

Low-dye taping is heavenly. Once you get good at it, it's like a hammock for your foot.

Best of luck, I know how much it hurts.

Yes 'A version' is my own design ;) I have some toe to thigh motorcross socks (they are designed to go under my knee braces) so I used one of those and tied it off near my knee with a compression bandage. The bandage doesn't need to be tight to hold the sock. It works perfectly.

Monday morning I had zero pain in those first few steps. I also changed my arch support strap things I use to the sturdiest insert. My foot was hurting after about 6 hours at work on the factory floor. And once rested for 30 minutes during my meal break, the first few steps were painful.

This morning I again had zero pain on the first few steps. :)

I am being very pedantic to not put my foot down until I have my arch inserts under my feet. Now that I understand that there is a slight healing process overnight, I am making very sure I don't tear it again the next morning.

Its going to be a slow process, but after 12-18 months I am finally happy that perhaps I may be on the right track. I am also going to get some tape when I go near a chemist and do the low dye taping. I am also going to buy a gel arch support insert for my work boots. Ill use my strap on arch support around home and the good gel ones at work in my boots.

Once again thanks very much.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby quill » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 1:32 pm

That's amazing news - the lack of pain is a revelation, isn't it? The fascia tightens up very fast, I noticed the same, it helped firm up in my mind that if it can tighten up after 30min, then eight hours is more than enough for it to become very tight indeed, enough to perpetuate the injury with just a few small steps in the AM.

Without overloading information but just to confirm the idea overnight healing is the key to PF, the body releases a lot of growth hormone as you sleep - fascia has very poor blood supply, so relies on HGH to optimise the healing it gets from the small amount of blood it receives. Collagen has a strict structure, and so can only rebuild by laying a foundation, then rebuilding over it once the foundation is set. If you give it the chance to lay and keep that foundation, healing follows.

So glad to hear of success. Please check in in a few weeks,which is enough to know if it's right for you.
quill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DarrenM » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 4:15 pm

DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby icefest » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 9:36 pm

DarrenM wrote:Image

Just wondering, what makes new and old graffiti different, and where is the cut-off?

icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 9:42 pm

Difference? Just look at the knife strokes, depth and style! Worlds apart. Modern graffitis are shallow and without that depth of old.

My pet hate whilst bushwalking? Well, it's that cloth change, one that requires the removal of the pack. A simple removal of 1 piece of clothing can take 5-10mins when back on the road. What's worse? Forget a piece of gear in the middle of nowhere during the cloth change. Grrr...
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby puredingo » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 1:13 pm

I wonder if Ian still loves april?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 3:18 pm

puredingo wrote:I wonder if Ian still loves april?

Ha. Ha ha.

:D
walkerchris77

Postby Empty » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 5:35 pm

He May prefer June now.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 6:23 pm

As long as he stirs clear of Linda, I can tell by her writing alone she's CRAZY!!!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DarrenM » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:02 pm

icefest wrote:Just wondering, what makes new and old graffiti different, and where is the cut-off?

:-) good question. I guess it's based on the significance of the journey. A trip on the school bus and back doesn't quite make the cut.
Crazy Linda..... :lol:
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby puredingo » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 2:18 pm

This sort of grafitti falls somewhere between old and new?
Attachments
014 (800x600).jpg
014 (800x600).jpg (220.71 KiB) Viewed 24909 times
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 2:31 pm

When is graffiti not graffiti?
Attachments
IMG_8298.JPG
AAWT at Black River
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 3:33 pm

GBW, I think you have probably answered your own question.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 3:41 pm

Maybe peregrinator, but it's a bit large dont you think. A yellow marker would have done the same job.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

PreviousNext

Return to Bushwalking Discussion