Endangered animal conservation programs

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Endangered animal conservation programs

Postby simonm » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:10 am

Hi all,

I would like to donate some money to conservation programs directed at Australian endangered animals. I am particularly interested in people/programs working with the Swift parrot but would love to hear about other programs.

Cheers
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Re: Endangered animal conservation programs

Postby MickyB » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 7:20 am

I think a good organisation to donate to is 'Save the Tasmanian Devil Program'

http://www.tassiedevil.com.au/tasdevil.nsf/
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby simonm » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 9:51 am

Thanks it's on the list.

I am looking for a number of programs. I can't find any specific to the Swift Parrot at this stage.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:16 am

peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:42 am

Nice one Simon - there's also the most endangered of all, the orange-bellied parrot. Wildcare Tas has a fund, and also a volunteer group that has regular trips to Melaleuca and Birchs Inlet to monitor, band, etc. http://wildcaretas.org.au/donations/wildcare-save-the-orange-bellied-parrot-fund/

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby simonm » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks. I have now sent a few emails to different organisations.

My idea is to name a few of my products after different endangered species and then have a portion of the sales go to an organistion helping that particular animal. I think its potentially a good way to raise awareness and also a way for me to donate some money on an ongoing basis.

Plus I don't want my kids asking what did you do to try and help these species, and not have a good answer. My young daughter is already quite upset at the demise of the Thylacine.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FootTrack » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:55 am

MickyB wrote:I think a good organisation to donate to is 'Save the Tasmanian Devil Program'

http://www.tassiedevil.com.au/tasdevil.nsf/

I think the Tasmanian Devil program is a great initiative, but if I had to give my money to a conservation program I would probably look elsewhere. From what I've heard, conservation programs are heavily under funded these days. Whats more, some species receive a significantly greater slice of funding, as compared to other species (the Tasmanian Devil falls into this category). I would put my money towards a less well known/cute/fluffy/tourism driven but equally important species, that may not be fortunate enough to receive the exposure and funding of others. Or perhaps I would donate towards one of Australia's endangered plant species, which commonly fly off the public's radar. I think it is important to chose wisely where donations are directed; $1 can be a lot more valuable/useful to some programs compared to others.

Below are two excellent articles which elaborate on this topic.
http://www.theage.com.au/multimedia/triage/
http://theconversation.com/another-aust ... tion-36203
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby simonm » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:58 am

Cheers. I will have a look at those articles when I get a chance.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FootTrack » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 1:08 pm

simonm wrote:Cheers. I will have a look at those articles when I get a chance.

Not a problem.

I forgot to say - great work on considering to donate some of your profits to these causes too. They are definitely in need of more public awareness and support.
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 3:46 pm

simonm wrote:My idea is to name a few of my products after different endangered species and then have a portion of the sales go to an organistion helping that particular animal. I think its potentially a good way to raise awareness and also a way for me to donate some money on an ongoing basis.

Loud applause.

A great idea and a very simple & straightforward way to help our endangered species.
Thank you.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby simonm » Mon 23 Mar, 2015 4:08 pm

Those articles were great FootTrack, it put a few things in perspective and perhaps a bit of a path forward.

Thanks NNW. Hopefully the first of the products will go up once I get back from the Overland Track.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Hallu » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 2:18 am

Amphibians are amongst the most endangered species on earth because we don't take care of our wetlands, we tend to drain them for access or building over them. Plus mining pollutes the water sources . If you wish to have one animal per new product you could chose one marsupial, one amphibian, one reptile, one bird, one insect, one tree etc...
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby vicrev » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:03 am

north-north-west wrote:
simonm wrote:My idea is to name a few of my products after different endangered species and then have a portion of the sales go to an organistion helping that particular animal. I think its potentially a good way to raise awareness and also a way for me to donate some money on an ongoing basis.

Loud applause.

A great idea and a very simple & straightforward way to help our endangered species.
Thank you.
Agree !!........... :)
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby simonm » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 10:04 am

Hallu wrote:If you wish to have one animal per new product you could chose one marsupial, one amphibian, one reptile, one bird, one insect, one tree etc...

I like that idea. It might give me some impetus to make more products .
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Suz » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 4:01 pm

fab idea. as you are in Tas you might also consider Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary: http://bonorong.com.au/conservation/

Corroboree frog could make a good amphibian :)

I am thinking about fund-raising for my AAWT hike - since I am the fund-raiser for the local branch of my wildlife rescue group it seems pretty much the thing to do really :) But we are NSW based so probably not the the group for you.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby simonm » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks Suz - they certainly don't have to be Tasmania based. My kids are now keen to check out Bonorong Sanctuary.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Suz » Sat 18 Apr, 2015 7:23 pm

Ah great - I hope they have fun when you gettem there :)
You can also donate to my AAWT hike when I get round to organising it! ha ha

According to the IUCN list - the threatened bird network suggested by peregrinator have apparently been involved with swift parrot conservation so hopefully they get back to you if you contact them. Check the entry on the swift parrot here: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/22685219/0

If you don't know the IUCN list ( http://www.iucnredlist.org ) - well it's now your go-to endangered animal list …it's basically the wikipedia of species status' and conservation efforts.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby simonm » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 6:52 am

I have had initial contact with Birdlife Tasmania and am just waiting for confirmation before proceeding.

I might re-name a couple of my existing products to reflect an amphibian and marsupial next.

Thanks for the links Suz.

On a related matter I have been exposed to the grubby end of business after a very ordinary business dealing with a local Tasmanian company, which has reaffirmed my desire to have a focus for my business that is not just about making money.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Empty » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 9:45 am

simonm wrote: On a related matter I have been exposed to the grubby end of business after a very ordinary business dealing with a local Tasmanian company, which has reaffirmed my desire to have a focus for my business that is not just about making money.

It is an interesting business philosophy in general. Some years back I did some consulting work for a business in the US that was started by a husband and wife who's sole objective when they started up was to generate enough income so that they could help homeless people. They were from the Deep South and very religious. Their business turned out to be pretty successful and,not long before I met them they accepted a buy out offer from a division of Brambles.

I was not told the sum but as the lady put it to me, neither she, nor her family, nor her children's family, nor her children's children family would have ever to work again (assuming nobody squandered it). It has always been a lesson to me about the power of altruism.

Of course I have also seen the opposite where misdirected good intentions have led to ruin.

Interesting philosophy. Proceed with caution. :D
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby simonm » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 10:14 am

Hey Empty - caution recommendation noted :D . My wife is always here to keep my idealism in check.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 3:45 pm

Empty wrote:It is an interesting business philosophy in general. Some years back I did some consulting work for a business in the US that was started by a husband and wife who's sole objective when they started up was to generate enough income so that they could help homeless people. They were from the Deep South and very religious. Their business turned out to be pretty successful and,not long before I met them they accepted a buy out offer from a division of Brambles.

I was not told the sum but as the lady put it to me, neither she, nor her family, nor her children's family, nor her children's children family would have ever to work again (assuming nobody squandered it). It has always been a lesson to me about the power of altruism.

And what happened to the homeless people after the buyout?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Empty » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 3:57 pm

I have no idea as it is many years ago now. A condition of the sale was that the husband and wife stayed on in a consultancy role for a period of time ( which is pretty usual) which is how I got to meet them. We went out for dinner a few times and they impressed me as very genuine people so I have no doubt that they would have continued to support those in need. Being very religious ( which I am not) they saw their business success a Gods plan so I doubt that they would risk getting him/her/it offside by taking the money and running.

It is not altogether unusual as I know of other similar success stories. As they say, do what you love and the money will follow.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 19 Apr, 2015 4:01 pm

Empty wrote:As they say, do what you love and the money will follow.

I love bludging. Never made a red cent out of it, but.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Fri 24 Apr, 2015 2:40 pm

simonm wrote:Thanks Suz - they certainly don't have to be Tasmania based. My kids are now keen to check out Bonorong Sanctuary.

I have been to several wildlife parks / animal sanctuaries in Tasmania and IMO Bonorong and Trowunna Wildlife Park are easily the best in the state. The staff's main concern is animal welfare, unlike at other parks in the state where they are only interested in making money. At one park (I won't mention which) the owner told me she was annoyed that Tasmanian Devils were being bred on the main land and in her opinion they should only be bred at the sanctuaries in Tasmania. I was gobsmacked that she was putting her business ahead of a species survival :shock:

Here are some photos of a typical Tasmanian blue tongue lizard :wink: that was road side rescued by Bonorong and brought back to the park when we were there
Attachments
TAS1.jpg
TAS2.jpg
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby simonm » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 8:42 am

MickyB - interesting Blue Tongue.

Now for some naming assistance - I have a new hammock in development and need a name as per detailed in this thread I would like it to be named after a vulnerable species.

I have been looking at mainly marsupials and birds. Some I have been considering are:
Bent-wing (bat)
The Dibbler
Quoll
Potaroo
Quokka
Goshawk

Open to other suggestions not necessarily restricted to mammals or birds.

Thanks for any assistance.

Netted hammock 014_800x533.JPG
Netted hammock 014_800x533.JPG (98.23 KiB) Viewed 35259 times

Netted hammock 019_800x533.JPG
Netted hammock 019_800x533.JPG (144.06 KiB) Viewed 35259 times
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 8:48 am

Honestly the best way to support endangered animals would be to support agencies which help people to limit family size to replacement of lower, after all it's population pressure which is the problem
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby simonm » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:12 am

Moondog55 wrote:Honestly the best way to support endangered animals would be to support agencies which help people to limit family size to replacement of lower, after all it's population pressure which is the problem

Hammocks are a solution to reduce family size. Having sex in a camping hammock is quite difficult.
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:20 am

simonm wrote:Bent-wing (bat)

Would having 'bent' in a product name put doubt in people's minds about the quality of the product?

I think all the other names would be great.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 6:22 pm

simonm wrote:
Moondog55 wrote:Honestly the best way to support endangered animals would be to support agencies which help people to limit family size to replacement of lower, after all it's population pressure which is the problem

Hammocks are a solution to reduce family size. Having sex in a camping hammock is quite difficult.

I'll mention this to the Boss and start work on a giant sized hammock immediately
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Mon 22 Jun, 2015 7:23 pm

It's not an Aussie endangered species but the way a hammock hangs
and the whole hammock concept makes me think sloth.

Hey wait a minute .......... not endangered but what about the Tiergear Drop Bear :shock:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Between Bushwalks