Extended walks in Gawler Ranges National Park

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Extended walks in Gawler Ranges National Park

Postby jimbo42 » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm considering doing a long (say one week) walk through the Gawler Ranges and am interested in :
* areas of the Park worth going to -- views, scenery, terrain?
* locations where chances of finding water are good (I'm planning to go in about September; seems to be the best time; end of winter rains)
* transport in and out of the park for those who come in to Wudinna by bus
jimbo42
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Extended walks in Gawler Ranges National Park

Postby heracles26 » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 6:03 pm

Can I come? :D
heracles26
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Extended walks in Gawler Ranges National Park

Postby philm » Tue 20 Jan, 2015 7:35 am

The Gawler Ranges are just that - low ranges. Personnally I'd prefer the Flinders due to the high and better scenery.
We have walked the Gawler Ranges but this was by driving to different locations and doing day or overnight walks from a base camp. This way you get to see the best parts.
The highlights for us were the Organ Pipes, Lake Gairdner (early morning) and Lake Acraman (created by one of the largest Asteriod impacts). There are separate posts in this forum on Lake Acraman.

Water may be an issue - so others may be able to advise but as we had base camps we took our own in by 4WD.
Good luck.
September months and spring generally can be windy so may not be the best walk months - I would consider winter or April / May.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory