Safety Alert SA2G PLB

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Safety Alert SA2G PLB

Postby Travis22 » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:34 am

Has there been any more word from GME regarding what they are willing to do for owners of the 410g when the battery expires?

Travis
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby philm » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 1:40 pm

Yes Gme will replace the unit with a replacement exchange unit for a cost of $275 ex freight! Hence the cost is not worth it as a new unit only comes with a 12 month warranty (instead of the original 7 years). It would be cheaper to purchase a new 410G unit or another brand for not much more. I have an email from GME confirming this.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 3:20 pm

philm wrote:Yes Gme will replace the unit with a replacement exchange unit for a cost of $275 ex freight! Hence the cost is not worth it as a new unit only comes with a 12 month warranty (instead of the original 7 years). It would be cheaper to purchase a new 410G unit or another brand for not much more. I have an email from GME confirming this.

Which is the route I'll be taking. Plus - as this cheeses me off so much - I'll trash the old one.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Travis22 » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 4:33 pm

Thats a bugger. Id hoped things might have changed and GME would come to the party.

Guess i shall continue steering everyone i meet away from any GME products and when our 410g expires shortly i will not be purchasing another GME product ever again.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby stry » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 6:59 pm

I have a similar view to Travis on GME nowadays. I have been a long term and loyal user until I received an unfavourable customer service outcome a few years ago. My impression is that GME is adopting a "defend the drawbridge" attitude to such issues as good will and warranty, perhaps because of financial pressures. This approach is contractionary, business wise, and seldom works.

Perhaps paradoxically, I much prefer the initiation/cancellation procedure of the 410G to that of the ACR. Much simpler, just swing up the aerial and it goes. No need to remember how long to hold down buttons to initiate or to cancel and so on. Maybe I'm feeble minded, but these things are usually never used and use should not require the memorization of a process or some sort of cheat sheet. I wouldn't be able to read the embossings on the ACR without my glasses and good light.

They both have an aerial which needs to be deployed so no diff there. I carry the ACR for reasons of weight and compactness only.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zone-5 » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:22 am

My eventual choice, hope I never have to use it!
@ $50 per annum for global rescue insurance - worth it.

$329.00 | http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/McMu ... h-GPS.html

McMurdo Fastfind 220 PLB with GPS

;)
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5

Region: Australia

Postby LiveFreeAndRoam » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 10:44 am

I have just begun looking at the SA2G and comparing it with the PLB1. I was considering the PLB1, until I stumbled on the KTI SA2G. This post has been very helpful!

Overall, the SA2G packs many more features into a smaller, lighter, lower-cost unit, despite the claims of the PLB1.

This is what my online research has led me to believe...

Whilst the PLB1 lays claim to having the smallest and lightest PLB in the market today, I now see that it achieves that by sacrificing battery life and buoyancy. If you include the PLB1 buoyancy pouch, it comes to a 'whopping' 164g and appears to be quite bulky. While the 'naked' PLB1 starts out with a 'massive' 25g advantage (115g vs 140g), by the time you add buoyancy, the advantage goes to the SA2G by 24g (140g vs 164g).

The SA2G battery is qualified for 3 yrs longer than the PLB1 (10yrs vs 7yrs).

The SA2G has a $90 price advantage (based on best online prices I could find for each unit today).

The SA2G comes with a case and armband. Reportedly, the case weighs 0.037g (really?? I think that's a typo and they meant 37g?).

The SA2G has additional features already noted in other posts.

If size and weight are key characteristics for a PLB, then it seems the SA2G is a clear market winner, and by a country mile.

Australian Developed/Made is an added bonus.

Before I put down the hard-earned, how has the SA2G been holding up for other savvy owners? Any war stories?

Thanks,
Matt.
PS: First post :).
LiveFreeAndRoam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby johnrs » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi LF&R
Just a couple of notes here,
The GME 410 unit is getting old now and probably due for redesign,
its built to EPIRB standards which are marine based and more robust than the PLB standards.

Battery life for all these units is long enough that they will be obsolete by expiry
and so a new purchase rather a refit is the usual outcome.

Its good to have Aussie products for the service outcomes too
so I hope that GME stays in the race,
I have had several of their beacons over the years,
they have been robust and I have always felt confident with them.

Spot and other tracker devices are feature rich
but built to lower standards.
The signal sometimes does not transmit,
I prefer a dedicated rescue beacon
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby corvus » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 6:01 pm

LiveFreeAndRoam wrote:I have just begun looking at the SA2G and comparing it with the PLB1. I was considering the PLB1, until I stumbled on the KTI SA2G. This post has been very helpful!

Overall, the SA2G packs many more features into a smaller, lighter, lower-cost unit, despite the claims of the PLB1.

This is what my online research has led me to believe...

Whilst the PLB1 lays claim to having the smallest and lightest PLB in the market today, I now see that it achieves that by sacrificing battery life and buoyancy. If you include the PLB1 buoyancy pouch, it comes to a 'whopping' 164g and appears to be quite bulky. While the 'naked' PLB1 starts out with a 'massive' 25g advantage (115g vs 140g), by the time you add buoyancy, the advantage goes to the SA2G by 24g (140g vs 164g).

Before I put down the hard-earned, how has the SA2G been holding up for other savvy owners? Any war stories?

Thanks,
Matt.
PS: First post :).

G'day Matt,
Where did you get the 164g when you add the buoyancy pouch to the PLB1 ?? my pouch only weighs around 30g, so total around 146g.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:12 pm

All certified PLBs have to meet the same minimum standard in terms of technical specifications, including frequency accuracy, transmission power and battery life for transmission.

They output an analog beacon signal on 121.5mHz which is heard by aircraft and a digital signal on 406mHz including the GPS position.

Once activated, one should NOT move (so move to a good place before activating) and the beacon should NOT be turned off until instructed to do so by emergency services. Orient the device/antenna in the correct plane (normally vertically, check instructions for your model) for best performance.

One which transmits position every 5 mins vs every 20 mins vs every hour is not very relevant, as you should not move after activation. Also, from vague memory, I think a minimum position accuracy is required to be achieved before position is broadcast - which means it won't get significantly more accurate each time it transmits.

Don't ever assume an overflying aircraft has found you until help arrives on the ground - homing procedures in an aircraft (used for narrowing the search area) can result in flying over the same location many times - which might lead people to think they've been found and deactivate their beacon.

Get the battery replaced by the manufacturer. It really isn't worth the risk of home DIY jobs for something that may save your life.

Take it on day walks and even short side trips. In Adelaide this weekend a guy was stuck in Cleland for two days with a broken leg, only 10km or so from the CBD.

They have lithium batteries, so take them as carry on luggage - not checked in luggage.

I have the PLB1. Remarkably compact little unit. I don't have any problem with the flippy cover on the front. If you don't carry it in the provided pouch, you might need a strong rubber band or something to secure it.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:26 pm

Regularity of position updates is more relevant for on-water emergencies where the caller may be floating with the current. Not to say that land users don't need it eg. Running away from bush fires or a flood. How far can one go in 20mins vs 5mins?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:42 pm

I very much doubt a search team (including aircraft) receive updates every 5 mins from Cospas-Sarsat through AMSA. I can try and find out. Ocean drift wouldn't be significant enough over 20 mins to prevent visual acquisition from aircraft - and at night they use thermal imaging on the water to find targets.

Had one in rural Victoria about a week and half ago which ATC had us chasing down, some numpty put one in their council trash bin and it was activated at the local tip. Idiots.
Last edited by South_Aussie_Hiker on Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:28 pm

Surely there's a technical reason that these beacons are permitted to transmit from 20mins intervals to 5mins. I'd be surprised if this was unilaterally instituted by SA2G's engineers/marketeers.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:35 pm

What do NOAA have to do with it?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:02 pm

Absolutely nothing! I don't know why I wrote that, I meant Cospas-Sarsat.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 10:51 pm

Once upon a time, satellite's data transmission and computation capacities were limited. Capacity have obviously increased dramatically since. As I asked, whether this 20mins to 5mins interval was a spec set from the network administrators? If so, what's the reason?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 6:29 am

I'll try and find out. Maybe it was a case of the battery lasting longer than designed, and they decided they could increase the position transmission frequency and still comply with the minimum battery requirements.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 9:58 am

I have to say, 10 years is a pretty impressive number. 30% up on the more common 7 years spec. Battery may have improved but the circuit may also have become more efficient. As others have said, the technology would have moved on significantly and replacement of the unit would be a wise move by then. For me, still 4 years left on my PLB1, hoping my next unit will have text messaging capability, a functionality that's due to be introduced by the Cospas-Sarsat satellite operator (I understand).
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LiveFreeAndRoam » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 3:07 pm

corvus wrote:
LiveFreeAndRoam wrote: by the time you add buoyancy, the advantage goes to the SA2G by 24g (140g vs 164g).

G'day Matt,
Where did you get the 164g when you add the buoyancy pouch to the PLB1 ?? my pouch only weighs around 30g, so total around 146g.

Thanks Corvus. I'm glad to learn you have weighed one. Real data is better than marketing data. This is where I found the sales info:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=plb1+164g

In any case, when comparing apples, the weight difference is moot. That was really the point I was making.

Cheers,
Matt.
LiveFreeAndRoam
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby petergood » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 7:13 am

The KTI Safety Alert is 142grams and the hard case is 53grams they also come with a neoprene arm band that 43 grams https://www.safetybeacons.co.nz/kti-saf ... eacon.html or https://www.safetybeacon.com.au/kti-saf ... eacon.html
petergood
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Safety Beacons

Postby Aushiker » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 2:27 pm

If some one is chasing an Ocean Signal Rescue me PLB1 there is a brand new unit being auctioned on eBay. Price is looking good at the moment.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby farefam » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 11:50 pm

I own a SA2G PLB and am very happy with the size, weight, price and the exceptional after sales support from the Australian manufacturer (and most importantly that it works exactly as advertised, enabling an efficient rescue).
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chev » Thu 01 Dec, 2016 3:49 pm

I want to get a PLB and have more or less decided to get this one (KTI SA2G). Any suggestions on a good value, reliable place to buy from. I will need to get it shipped.
Chev
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby nevw » Thu 01 Dec, 2016 5:05 pm

Chev wrote:I want to get a PLB and have more or less decided to get this one (KTI SA2G). Any suggestions on a good value, reliable place to buy from. I will need to get it shipped.

I bought one a few weeks ago from safetysamtheman (Peter Hackett of Cooeebay.com) and it was sent from Vic to Bne quite quickly. Seems to be a good provider with feedback on sale and shipping. I have bought very little on the internet but was impressed by the service, the packing and value.
In particular, I got the one with the whistle with a list of what's included on scrolling down the page.
regards
Nev
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby taipan821 » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 12:46 pm

South_Aussie_Hiker wrote:I very much doubt a search team (including aircraft) receive updates every 5 mins from Cospas-Sarsat through AMSA. I can try and find out. Ocean drift wouldn't be significant enough over 20 mins to prevent visual acquisition from aircraft - and at night they use thermal imaging on the water to find targets.

Being SAR we locate the PLB/EPIRB through the analouge 121.5 mhz signal, either by flying certain patterns or using a directed antenna and detuning.

As to water depends on the searching aircraft, dedicated SAR have the toys, but might not be available, you then get MK1 eyeballs looking out windows during a search pattern.
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 12:54 pm

The SA2G transmits a digital signal with identification and GPS location data on 406mhz.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taipan821 » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 1:14 pm

neilmny wrote:The SA2G transmits a digital signal with identification and GPS location data on 406mhz.

All emergency beacons have a 121.5 mhz signal as a homing signal, only for short ranges though. so the 406mhz signals is detected by satellite and directed to AMSA. 121.5mhz is used by the search parties to find the distress beacon
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks taipan for clearing that up, I was under the impression that only 406 was in use as I read that 121.5mhz beacons were no longer able to be registered.
I imagine the GPS data will eventually supersede the need for a 121.5mhz homing signal. Some (SA2G) are claiming position accuracy to 3 metres now.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 10:25 am

I think older EPIRBS were 243Mhz and that is the frequency that is no longer monitored. They also had the 121.5Mhz homing signal.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby neilmny » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 10:29 am

Thanks Phil, to many numbers not enough brain power here it would seem. :)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble