Western Arthur Traverse

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western Arthur Traverse

Postby Lynda Moir » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 8:39 pm

After years in the planning our walk to the Western Arthurs is getting close. We are planning on flying to Tasmania and will need transport to and from the start of the track - starting and finishing at Scotts Peak. Any suggestions for transport from Hobart? :D
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Western Arthur Traverse

Postby tasadam » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 9:38 pm

I have seen suggestion of public transport being available - I think I read it in a Chapman or Tyrone Thomas book, but can't remember.
It's a pretty remote place, the start of that walk.
We left our car in the car park area when we did 3 days / 2 nights in there.
Only 1 night on the tops due to snow - we bailed and headed off the range.
Sorry I cannot help any more. Good luck, keep us informed & let us know how it all goes.
It's a wonderful place & I'm envious.
Take care. Cheers!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby corvus » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 10:25 pm

collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby johnw » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 11:43 pm

We used them for our recent Overland Track trip. Excellent service and very reliable (not necessarily cheap though; you really need to spread the cost over as many passengers as possible, and understand the total cost if not able to fill the vehicle). However they're based in Launceston and I don't think they pick up from Hobart or head to the SW. No harm in asking though. Otherwise Tasmanian Parks & Wildlife lists a number of transport operators at: http://www.overlandtrack.com.au/doing_access.html

Looks like Tassielink runs the type of service you're asking about to Scotts Peak:
http://www.tigerline.com.au/walking-track-fares.htm
http://www.tigerline.com.au/seasonal/Cockle%20Creek%20and%20Scotts%20Peak%202007_2008.pdf

johnw
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tasdaz » Sat 02 Feb, 2008 8:24 am

As I travel down to the SW a bit (being based in Hobart), I may be able to help out. PM me the number in your party and the dates you are looking at going and I will see if I can help out or not. I drive a Falcon sedan :D
Ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no river deep enough
Too keep from walking in Tassie
tasdaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Sat 02 Feb, 2008 5:37 pm

Just got back from 8 days in the Arthurs.
AS we were getting our packs on the Tassielink bus arrived and as we were driving out today we passed the bus coming in.
Arrives at about noon.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Sat 02 Feb, 2008 9:09 pm

Pleased to see some more attentive person posted Tassielinks as that was what I meant to post :oops:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 03 Feb, 2008 4:08 pm

I have used the tassieline service a number of times and found it good, reliable - but it is fairly expensive at about $78 each way. They travel out (and back) three days a week - Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays leaving Hobart at 8 am and arriving at Huon Camp at Scotts Peak Dam at about 11:30am. This gives you enough time to walk to Junction Ck for a late lunch, then to the base of Moraine A. If weather permits - climb Moraine A. There is some exposed camping on top (and if you look around - also a some sheltered sites) - but most parties would proceed on to Lake Cygnus. There is good, sheltered camping at Junction Ck. The campsite at the base of Moraine A is still useable - but was burnt out by a bushfire last summer - and so is not as attractive.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lynda Moir » Fri 07 Mar, 2008 4:26 pm

I was just reading about the Huon Campground.

Is this a feasible overnight camp at the end of our traverse of the Western Arthur Range (or is it just the Arthur Range?)?

I read that it is managed by Parks and Wildlife. Does this mean we could leave gear there e.g. clean clothes and food?
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby DaveNoble » Fri 07 Mar, 2008 4:36 pm

It is a basic campground with sheltered campsites and a shelter shed, water tank and a composting toilet block. The main people camping there are car camping - and often people with boats etc. I have often left gear there - but hidden - a few hundred metres out on the track - in the forest - but nothing valuable - eg some tins of food for dinner on the last night.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasadam » Mon 10 Mar, 2008 5:01 pm

Rgarding bus timetables for this and any walk, it would be wise and advisable to check for yourself with bus companies as timetables have a tendancy to change.
Cheers!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Return to Tasmania