Larapinta Sleeping setup July (Bugs and Pack Size)

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Larapinta Sleeping setup July (Bugs and Pack Size)

Postby Work2Walk » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 9:58 am

I'm trying to figure out if I need a larger pack. I've read that a 75-85L pack is suggested for the Larapinta but I was wondering if you could get by with a 65L pack and no tent. There are some people that have said a tent is probably not necessary in the dry season. If it's about freezing at night then I would expect there would be no bugs. I'll still bring a rain cover just in case of rain and I'm confident I would stay warm with by warm hat and clothes/sleeping bag. What are your thoughts? Should I spring for a 75L pack anyway and what sleeping setup would you think is best?
Work2Walk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Larapinta Sleeping setup July (Bugs and Pack Size)

Postby forest » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 2:05 pm

Pretty hard say you'll need a xx size pack as everyone will carry different gear. I did it last year with a 45ltr pack and a 5kg baseweight and was more comfortable than others I crossed paths with that had 20kgs. It's all gear selection and experience but the UL gear is not for all. I doubt you will need bug protection in July. There were very few in late June last year. I slept quite a few nights just under the stars and it was great. But some nights there was dew and it did rain a little some nights too so some type of shelter is essential.

It gets pretty cold at night, even some days were really cold and windy. Make sure your sleeping setup is comfortable to about -5ºC. It can get colder a little but you can add some clothes and would be fine. Most nights will probably be around 5ºC but it is often way lower this time of year so you have to plan for that.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mutley » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 8:42 pm

+ 1 on forests comments. Did the Larapinta with an 18 kg pack, which in hindsight, was too heavy. There is a substantial amount of steep ascents and you will feel every gram of extra weight. My tip would be to lighten your gear wherever possible, compress everything and then choose the best and lightest pack to suit your gear. I would probably not advise leaving the tent at home, as there were some heavy frosts and cold mornings. You will also need to manage your water carefully, as some sections may necessitate carrying water for an overnight stop.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Work2Walk » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks for the insight, I'll definitely go with a tent then and a bigger bag too. It is always tempting to cut weight by skipping the tent but usually I suffer from it and from your comments it's worth bringing one even in this area.
Work2Walk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby philm » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 10:59 am

I'd also recommend taking a light tent. The extra weight of a 85 ltr pack versus a 65 is not all that great especially if you carefully select the pack - some 90 ltr packs (such as AARN load limo) weight around the 2kg mark compared to a Macpac 75 ltr - both good packs but you are unlikely to need a really tough outer shell on your pack doing the Larapinta track -i.e. no major scrub bashing! A light tent is a good investment.
Last edited by philm on Sun 22 Jun, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby dancier » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm going to the Larapinta on Sunday and will be using a 45 litre pack with a tent etc, my base-weight will be around 6kg. I could knock 800 grams off the weight by taking the tarp, bivy and CCF mat, but I'll do it in comfort. It really depends on your setup as to how big your pack should be, I suppose most would be using a 65 litre plus pack size.

Edit: I just loaded the pack with all the gear and five days of food and it just fitted so looks like 65 plus is the go.
dancier
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby wildlight » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 9:40 pm

Have just come off Larapinta today.

Took a tarp tent with bug netting, weight about 460gm. Used that tent in its stuff sack as my pillow every night. Only fly (insect) was at Ormiston Gorge. Camped on ridges, ponds, rarely at "proper" camp areas- no insects at all. Used z-rest mat, with neoair short. Took only shorts, one shirt, change of sox n jox, and one fleece jacket as well as cotton hat. Never got cold, never wished for more. Lots of surface water- Waterfall Gorge has about 80% capacity in main pond, lots of water elsewhere on the "dry" stretches if you know where to look- the trail even crosses some very good waterholes during Section 9.

Inarlanga Pass had 5 water pools.

Didn't do a micro analysis of my pack before leaving home, except to throw it on the scale, and with a week's supply of food, litre of water ( to simulate stove fuel for weighing ), iPad mini and keyboard, sat phone and a few other bits n pieces, it came in at just over 8kg. Met MANY people who couldn't get their heads around the fact that it could be done, carrying less than 18-20kg.

My trail weight was greater- took a compact, a tripod, a d800e and several lenses. More to follow, just in motel at the moment getting prep'd for homeward journey.

One thing I NEVER leave home without, is a flynet- on this trip I never used it.

By the way… Ormiston Gorge kiosk has these fully awesome Pizzas, with all fresh ingredients, real top shelf stuff. And that comment is coming from a… person with a European background and an intense, "assessing" love of good food.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kathyk » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 10:39 am

I did the end to end last year in May - and it was FREEZING at night! I am from Far Nth Qld and the cold was just amazing - I dont think anyone can tell someone how much or little to carry as I would not have enjoyed my time if I could not get warm. We met a solo walker on about day 10 who had frozen every night - he said he just lay in his little bag and his teeth chattered! No way would I do that. Even in the couple of shelters we put our tents up to get away from the wind and just to maintain more warmth. I had a -10 sleeping bag and was warm in bed but would not have wanted any less gear. My pack weighed around 18kgs with water and 7 days of food (that was the longest section without a food drop). My Big Agnes tent was fantastic! and I would recommend them to anyone on their own. Food weight averaged about 450grams per day and I was happy to carry the weight for comfort and food. I would carry that weight again :) (oh wait I just have - done the Tabletop and Jatbula this year)
kathyk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory