Bib Tack Around Christmas

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bib Tack Around Christmas

Postby forgie » Sun 20 Oct, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi All, I was just wondering if anyone has any favorite part of the track to do in summer. I have about 3-4 days between the 25dec-1 jan in which i'd like to get some hiking in. I was thinking around the Walpole area. do people have any favorite sections?
forgie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Bib Tack Around Christmas

Postby InspirationOutdoors » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Forgie,

It is going to be really hot! You are spot on though. Walpole to Peaceful Bay would be your best bet. It is going to be fairly exposed to the sun once you get to Conspicuous Cliffs though, but the tingle forest will be well shaded. Might be some flies when you get close to the farms at Nuyts lookout, so bring a fly net.

Cheers

Simon
InspirationOutdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Inspiration Outdoors

Postby forgie » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks Simon,
Yeah i know :S. Unfortunately as a uni student and with work lined up over summer, this is the only chance i have. Plus i can't justify the 1500 it would cost me to go somewhere cooler for 5 days. I did 14days till about the 17th of December a year or so back. It wasnt too bad. Planning to walk in the early morning and sleep through the heat.

Thanks for the advice. :D Is there nice. Or what is the cape to cape like at that time of year? Maybe best for a winter thing
forgie
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rogo » Mon 21 Oct, 2013 6:38 pm

Walpole to Denmark area are great as Simon has said. I've walked that time of year down that way and it hasn't been too hot. Nice and cool in the evenings which is a bonus.

I haven't done C2C but I can imagine it would be a busy time in that area for tourists. Not my idea of a fun walk, jostling with the day trippers.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby InspirationOutdoors » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 12:14 pm

The Cape to Cape is very exposed to the sun. If you are prepared to walk in the early morning it will be okay at Xmas, but definitely better in autumn or spring. The best time to walk the CTC is April/May for the weather and late Sept/early Oct for the wildflowers. You can walk it in winter, but the river crossings in July-September can be a pain and you end up doing diversions on roads etc.

Walpole to Peaceful bay would be cooler and definitely less people at xmas as rogo alluded to.
InspirationOutdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Inspiration Outdoors

Postby pandabear » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 7:43 pm

I just finished C2C from north to south in early October 2013. Was a bit wet for the first few days then it warmed up a bit. Also attempted C2C last december (2012) and had to abandon the attempt at Ellenbrook. It was becoming too hot and 6L of water wasn't enough for me for one day.
Cape to Cape End-to-Ender (135km) - Oct 2013
Bibbulmun Track End-to-Ender (1000km) - Dec 2013
pandabear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bibbulmun Track Foundation Member

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory