What are some good breakfast ideas ?

Food topics, including recipes.

What are some good breakfast ideas ?

Postby Finnigan » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 9:25 pm

I usually just put a cup of JUST RIGHT in a zip bag with a table spoon of powdered milk, just add water and away you go,light, easy prep, done in 10 mins,no washing up. any ideas for a easy interesting breakfast for a change ?
Finnigan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: What are some good breakfast ideas ?

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 10:09 pm

I like some porridge with dried fruit mixed in, and a nice big spoonful of brown sugar. Great energy and low GI and it sure warms you up. There is also powdered egg which I have not tried but some people like it, might be worth a shot.

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards"
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby stu » Fri 05 Jul, 2013 8:29 pm

I do exactly the same thing finnigan, tho Carmans brand mueslis are my favoured choice, very tasty, particularly the almond and cranberry flavour. I often mix in a bit if extra dried fruits.
I had a 12 day trip in Jan this year where I didn't tire of this brekkie, a rarity on long trips.

Shorter and/or hut based trips I sometimes take bacon, eggs and pitas :-)
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby LandSailor » Fri 05 Jul, 2013 8:52 pm

For shorter trips or 1st day, a breakfast pastry (apple danish or something) requires no preparation and is quite nice with the morning coffee.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 7:26 am

Coffee What more do you need??
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 11:46 am

That must be a mighty good coffee that you have Moondog :)
I go for cereal, all bran and mixed dried fruits (sultanas, peaches, banana, apple, apricots)..... the scary bit is I have it dry.
But with some milk powder and added water a normal person would be in business.
Vacuum packed portions for each day, just cut open and eat from the bag......or add water first and stir a bit if your normal.
Oh... and a coffee bag coffee with sugar and a couple of long life milk portions it it.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MartyGwynne » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 2:31 am

Normally I go for the muesli/porridge in zip lock bag with a spoon of powdered milk. Add water and eat, sometimes add hot water out of billy (excess hot water for cup of tea).
I also have taken for a treat some home made dehydrated baked beans which get re-hydrated overnight. But first I put one or two chunks of bacon in the bottom of the pan and cook then add the re-hydrated beans in to warm up. A quick simmer and eat away with a hot steamy cup of fresh brewed coffee.
(Oh and it smells so good you may need to run away from your fellow hikers- otherwise they may be tempted to steal your food)
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Spartan » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 8:45 pm

Santarium 'One Square Meal' (one portion contains two individual parcels, perfect for a couple). They're ready-to-eat, make no mess, and contain very little waste wrapping.

All the best.
Quod non killus facit nos fortior
Spartan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby corvus » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 8:59 pm

Still like my 2 min noodles plus CoS (Dutch Curry and Rice ) as a starter (warm and comforting) but will check out those 'One Square Meal ' bars :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Giddy_up » Mon 08 Jul, 2013 9:06 pm

Just found this product on line, looks interesting for a change to the usual things we eat.

http://www.wildernessdining.com/tf306.html

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards"
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 09 Jul, 2013 9:10 am

Truth is I eat oat porridge but I need the coffee first. On the odd occasion when I have given up caffeine I have drunk hot Tang or hot raspberry jelly which actually isn't too bad at all.
I do remember one glorious week-end tho where breakfast was fillet steak sandwiches with Bearnaise sauce and fresh lettuce
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Wed 10 Jul, 2013 5:30 pm

Cous cous brekkies make a good change from muesli. And take up a bit less room too.

Half a cup of cous cous (or probably a bit under), some coconut milk powder, brown sugar, dried fruit and nuts (I use sultanas, dried apricots, walnuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds). Whack it in a zip lock bag. Come brekky time boil some water and pour it into the bag (equal to the amount of cous cous), give it a stir and leave it to rest in a cozy (or in a beenie, glove, sock...). In a few minutes you'll have nice sweet, warm, high energy brekky, ready to eat straight out of the bag - no dishes!

It's worth experimenting with quantities at home first. You'll probably need more fruit and nuts than you think (as the cous cous grows so much) and more coconut milk powder than you think. And less cous cous than you think. This brekky is very filling!

And take spare zip lock bags in case you spring a leak!
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Finnigan » Thu 11 Jul, 2013 7:11 pm

Thanks guys heaps of great ideas ,i will use some of them.
Is it ok/safe to tip boiling water into a zip bag?
Finnigan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drew » Thu 11 Jul, 2013 11:26 pm

Some people worry about nasty stuff from the plastic but I'm not fussed. I've read that if you ate every meal of your life from a zip lock bag then it might be bad for you, but a few times a year while hiking won't do any harm. Thousands of ultra-light hikers do all of their meals like that - maybe they'll all be crook in twenty years time!

You could do it in a pot of course, with a pot cozy. Less convenient though.
Drew

Postby Goddo » Mon 19 Aug, 2013 10:21 am

Dehydrated baked beans, dehy mushrooms, naan bread (vac sealed) and salami. Maybe a little sun dried tomato too.

Makes a nice change from porridge.
Goddo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby walkon » Fri 16 May, 2014 9:09 am

Lately my favorite breaky on a walk is either porridge or muesli. I don't mind the porridge with dehydrated apple and a satchel of chai latte thrown in it, tastes yum. Ovaltine or a pinch of cinnamon works as well.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby andrewa » Fri 16 May, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm a bit with Moondog on this, that coffee is the major start to my day, but I can offer some alternatives...

Whilst I would normally have muesli when bushwalking, you can improve the muesli by soaking it overnight, which turns it into a Bercher style muesli. Much yummier, but you have to remember to soak it before you go to bed.

The other ripper breakfast we've had a few times on weekend ski touring trips are bag made omelettes in burritos/tortillas etc...chuck egg, shredded bacon, diced tomato etc in a ziplock bag, and seal. In morning, boil billy of water, chuck bags in water, and leave until cooked. Decant water and use for coffee etc. open bag, and slide cooked omelette onto burrito etc, and eat, maybe with some sauce as well. No mess. Nice hot breakfast. Great for ski touring weekends.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby icefest » Sat 17 May, 2014 12:23 am

I'm quite partial to getting up early enough to see the sub rise while walking and to have breakfast after an hour or two of walking. You get a great sunrise and a breakfast with a view.

While I use bushwalking to try to cut down on my caffeine intake I usually still need some when I get up so I'll usually end up having it in some form while packing up camp.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 May, 2014 7:36 am

That's a good idea I've never tried Andrew. Would it work with powdered egg do you think?? Can you reuse the ziplock I wonder
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Giddy_up » Sat 17 May, 2014 10:51 am

andrewa wrote:The other ripper breakfast we've had a few times on weekend ski touring trips are bag made omelettes in burritos/tortillas etc...chuck egg, shredded bacon, diced tomato etc in a ziplock bag, and seal. In morning, boil billy of water, chuck bags in water, and leave until cooked. Decant water and use for coffee etc. open bag, and slide cooked omelette onto burrito etc, and eat, maybe with some sauce as well. No mess. Nice hot breakfast. Great for ski touring weekends.

A

What a great suggestion, this is a definite on my next walk. Thanks andrewa
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Jag » Sun 18 May, 2014 9:47 am

For an upcoming 24 day trip I ordered in some Packitgourmet from Texas , kindly suggested by a poster here. I normally just pour in some oatmeal & sustagen into hot water as a gruel & go . This time I. have a range from Fruit smoothies to Delta rice puddings ,Texas corn souffles , Southern Grits . I have a lve of southern us food & tok the opportunity to add chilis & gumbos etc for dinner & ended up with 60 assorted packets . Remember The Alamo here I come!

However on one of my training walks I discovered a range of upmarket couscous which cost about $12 & look really nice especially the apricot one . This could be a nice breakfast / dessert .There are svoury ones also .
Jag
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stry » Fri 23 May, 2014 7:48 pm

Jag wrote:For an upcoming 24 day trip I ordered in some Packitgourmet from Texas , kindly suggested by a poster here. I normally just pour in some oatmeal & sustagen into hot water as a gruel & go . This time I. have a range from Fruit smoothies to Delta rice puddings ,Texas corn souffles , Southern Grits . I have a lve of southern us food & tok the opportunity to add chilis & gumbos etc for dinner & ended up with 60 assorted packets . Remember The Alamo here I come!

However on one of my training walks I discovered a range of upmarket couscous which cost about $12 & look really nice especially the apricot one . This could be a nice breakfast / dessert .There are svoury ones also .

Geez - you'll never leave camp. :D
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Gippsmick » Tue 03 Jun, 2014 6:20 pm

I can't believe no one has mentioned Shake 'n' Bake pancakes. Very tasty.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby SteveJ » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 7:04 pm

[quote="Drew"]Cous cous brekkies make a good change from muesli. And take up a bit less room too.

Half a cup of cous cous (or probably a bit under), some coconut milk powder, brown sugar, dried fruit and nuts (I use sultanas, dried apricots, walnuts, pepitas, sunflower seeds). Whack it in a zip lock bag. Come brekky time boil some water and pour it into the bag (equal to the amount of cous cous), give it a stir and leave it to rest in a cozy (or in a beenie, glove, sock...). In a few minutes you'll have nice sweet, warm, high energy brekky, ready to eat straight out of the bag - no dishes!

/quote]

I tried this on a recent 10 day walk to break up the muesli and porridge and I gotta say it is very good, warming and provides a good hearty breakfast. loads of energy, 9/10 :-) Thanks for the tip.
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gleeson » Thu 03 Jul, 2014 8:15 pm

Porridge, porridge, porridge, porridge and a cup of tea, with some porridge
Gleeson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Simon S » Sun 20 Jul, 2014 1:53 pm

French toast with maple syrup. Yet to crack the code for good coffee.
Simon S
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 20 Jul, 2014 6:47 pm

My last trip I just did cowboy espresso and that worked pretty well. Breakfast was just fruit and nut bars used to scoop peanut butter like chips and salsa. Good for getting the fire stoked first thing in the morning. I took a jar of PB and Maple. tasty!
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 20 Jul, 2014 9:31 pm

Porridge, in a zip-lock bag, with a spoon of honey and some cinnamon added. You can also add powdered milk so you just have to add hot water. The honey will melt with the hot water.
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 1:35 am

Such an old post but Gleesons monty python input was amazing!!!
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 3:18 pm

This is a desert but when it's cold and wet it's a winner breakfast. NB I went to a Catholic boys school. Custard and foreskins. Boil up dried apples til soft, add custard powder, stir. Eat.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Bush Tucker