Hiking with dogs

SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
SA, WA & NT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hiking with dogs

Postby Johnnyf » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 1:41 pm

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone knows any good places to go for a 2-3 day hike with a dog in South Australia (within a 100-200 km radius of Adelaide would be preferred). Thanks in advance :D

P.S.
As some of you may have noticed - I am new here (so if I make a stupid mistake, feel free to let me know).
Johnnyf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Hiking with dogs

Postby Chris » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 12:36 am

Welcome to the forum JF.
You may find some useful info here:
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10726&p=146423&hilit=walks+with+dogs#p146423
Not sure about SA as I'm in Tassie, but we have had a fair bit of discussion on this topic. Searching for previous topics can be a bit of a challenge in this forum :) , but there's lots of useful stuff there once you find it so good luck!
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Johnnyf » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 4:01 pm

Cheers Chris - unfortunately nothing on the other topics seems to cover SA. Someone did mention a book "Bush Camping with Dogs" though - so I reckon I'll go with that.
Johnnyf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby heresjason » Sat 15 Jun, 2013 10:18 am

Hey Johnny,
I was just thinking the exact same thing as my girl hates it when I leave her behind especially if I'm doing something fun and exciting! So I was hoping to find at least an over night trek or better yet 3 dayer close to Adelaide to take her on. So if you have any luck outside of this forum could you let us know? I'll do likewise if I can find anywhere!
heresjason
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Julies » Sun 23 Jun, 2013 11:45 am

I haven't found a lot of places to take my girl, but kuitpo and Mt Crawford are dog friendly. The ranger at Mt Crawford helpfully told us they had not baited in the native forest for a while, so if the dog accidentally walked through there on the way to the Heyson Trail campsite she would be okay. :)
Julies
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jez_au » Fri 05 Jul, 2013 10:35 am

There was an article in the recent WILD 136 magazine about hiking with dogs. Their website article version includes links to dog-friendly hikes in SA (Dogs are allowed on designated trails in parts of Murray River, Belair and Coorong national parks, as well as number of conservation parks and game reserves), which also includes a link on the Park SA website.
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Johnnyf » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks Jeremy - the links you provided are definitely useful. I also purchased the book "Bush Camping with Dogs" - it has information about dog friendly camp sites, and areas where one can (and cannot) go with dogs around those sites. I didn't have a chance to visit any sites yet, but that will hopefully change within the next few weeks. Currently it is looking like some game reserves up near the Murray might be the best bet.
Johnnyf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby andrewbish » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 11:54 am

Damn my fading eyes. I thought this was about hiking with Doogs!
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to South Australia, Western Australia & Northern Territory